steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

What are the manufacturing tolerances on that tool? Compensation for wear? Free play tolerance in the valve guides? Allowable TIR in the mill/drill spindle? It's not impossible, but it's not as easy as people make it out to be, and the cutter will never be an acceptable go gauge for it.

I'm hesitant how much I trust my measurements below +/-.005" and I have a fair amount of inspection experience. Take a pair of calipers, set them to 0.002" and see what you're actually talking about. The only way I can see through them is to hold them up to my monitor and let light shine through.

I would hope the tolerance on the tool was fairly consistent.

.002 is just an arbitrary number I pulled from my Anus to allow for sloppy guides etc, I know what .002 is but I'm just trying to find a workable solution.

I welcome feedback/suggestions.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

It needs to be said that lots of parts are hanging on walls or have been tossed/sold over the years due to rule growing pains, this is not a big deal looking at long term.

TSW wheels, gone when 13 pound rule went into place.

Mazda Comp Exhaust, gone when JD / Sam Henry was made legal.

Cams, gone when we got a spec for them (this is very much like this head deal).

Shocks, gone when we got a spec on them.

What I forget old timers?

Oh, the DDG shirt was for sale on the Cafe Press site, not been there in a bit. He actually meant the other Jim.......   :banana:

http://www.cafepress.com/specmiata.

Not valid argument.  At no times where those items specially spelled out to be legal, then upon a rules reversal made illegal.

Your examples (except the wheels and exhaust) were cheats not intended to ever be allowed.  The proposal of stock heads, specifically reverses a rule that makes a totally legal head, non compliant.

This proposed change, is the same as if the club now reversed its ruling on requiring 4.3 gears in the early 1.8 or took away the option to run the Torsen in 1.6 and required them all to go back to viscous OEM or Mazdacomp differential.

• KentCarter, steveracer and Steve Scheifler like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any

http://youtu.be/7pdWAcK6Eh8

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Duncan very thoughtful response, the problem is we have very limited time and maybe limited data in which to act for or against.  I do think the poll is fairly accurate but the response to NO or Hell NO is coming from multiple reasons.  This is also why I have said what I posted above. 

If 70% of the class is for Stock Heads them I am to, even though that is not what I want!

Regardless of what one thinks of the rule change at this point 58 of 80 people on this site in a non scientific poll don't like the idea.  Mazda says 2500 cars but cut that to 1000 to make the math easier.  That's not even 6 percent.  Far too few for an accurate sampling.  At the stated 2500 it's less than 3 percent.

• MarekM likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Ok, I know we have a 70% agreement for the most part that we should allow replung cutting to do away with cherry picking etc.

After this Fast Eddie post, I picked up the phone imediatly and talked to two people I  know who build or have built engines for a living.

Their take was this pettition would only gain their cutomers and customers of most Pro engine builders vote if a blend was spec'ed to be some abertrary number.  

I feel that 95% + of this class is affected by this new ruling, we are going to have to set our differences and new ideas aside and think seriously here.

Is it better to go backwards to buy all new stock heads?  Or should we go forward yes I will call it what it is and reward the cheaters by specing their latest cheat into the rules?

Mark my words if we dont swing a bat of 70% of our group any of this talk is just flat a big waste of time.

I propose Mr. Sager that although I may personally disagree about wanting blending or deburring legal, this petition in order to stand any chance of making a desired outcome must:

Describe how we want this spec to be written to allow blending to ??mm.

I will vote yes for this again not what I personally want but what I find to be the lesser evil at this point. 

I urge you Tom, to pick up your phone and call Jim Drago, Dan Tiley, Jim Stewart, Rush in CA. and maybe even Bob Thornton.  Find out what would cover 70% of the heads that have been made since 2009 we dont need to go out and cover to most blended but what would make most of those heads legal.  Come to a concensus after talking to them and then get this put up immediatly.

Again I know this looks like condoning cheating but I do believe that we cannot get enough people on board if we are dead set to do what I personally would like to see come from this. As many if not most of my best friends in this community will vote against my idea, as it does not go far enough to adress their particular situation.

further more I know I may not have named your engine builder, i could not possibly name them all so I went off the top of my head please forgive any omissions, I also tired to name those who have been known to blend not those who profess not to.

So what you are saying is the only way we are going to get a rule that the class can live with is if the Majority of the class, come to an agreed proposal, get behind it in the petition and present it to the SCCA.

If we take the emotion out of it for moment, and if we assume that the majority of the class who built a head in the last five years is sitting on a plunge cut head. Can we come to an agreement on a compromise rule and get behind it

So if we said a plunge cut to the 12mm or what ever it is, with a blend of xx MM is legal, Can we agree on that?

Can we put it in a petition and sign it?

If we do not have a plan then how can we expect someone else solve it.

I am going to start a new thread

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Regardless of what one thinks of the rule change at this point 58 of 80 people on this site in a non scientific poll don't like the idea.  Mazda says 2500 cars but cut that to 1000 to make the math easier.  That's not even 6 percent.  Far too few for an accurate sampling.  At the stated 2500 it's less than 3 percent.

Some will not vote here as it is not annonymous, others dont come here, others have already lost interest.  I personally talked to someone effected more then the rest by this rule he owns 7 or 8 SM's he is at his wits end with this as lets just say this is a 3k per car expense so he has a 20k plus bill coming for just simply following the rules????

I did not start the poll I do support having the poll and I believe far more then 50% do not want to go back to stock heads. The real deal is will 70% or more write a letter supporting the same possition??? No idea

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

So what you are saying is the only way we are going to get a rule that the class can live with is if the Majority of the class, come to an agreed proposal, get behind it in the petition and present it to the SCCA.

If we take the emotion out of it for moment, and if we assume that the majority of the class who built a head in the last five years is sitting on a plunge cut head. Can we come to an agreement on a compromise rule and get behind it

So if we said a plunge cut to the 12mm or what ever it is, with a blend of xx MM is legal, Can we agree on that?

Can we put it in a petition and sign it?

If we do not have a plan then how can we expect someone else solve it.

I am going to start a new thread

Frank In doing so please copy and paste my post that you quoted above lets not start another throwing out of ideas.  Also who is coming up with the written petition?  When will it be out? where can it be found? how do we sign on to it? Etc Etc etc.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any

Not valid argument.  At no times where those items specially spelled out to be legal, then upon a rules reversal made illegal.

Your examples (except the wheels and exhaust) were cheats not intended to ever be allowed.  The proposal of stock heads, specifically reverses a rule that makes a totally legal head, non compliant.

This proposed change, is the same as if the club now reversed its ruling on requiring 4.3 gears in the early 1.8 or took away the option to run the Torsen in 1.6 and required them all to go back to viscous OEM or Mazdacomp differential.

I disagree, the cams and shocks were on the shelf at Mazda from SS days with NO declared spec.  We worked towards a spec knowing those shelf parts were going away.  Also, in 2006 the rule was written to make cars legal, that was not the intent of the rules prior.  Had it been, the cams and shocks would have been made legal and not outed with a spec. Same should occur now albeit 8 years late.  Many of us lost parts, so should have the plunge cut crowd in 2006.  IMO

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Some will not vote here as it is not annonymous, others dont come here, others have already lost interest.  I personally talked to someone effected more then the rest by this rule he owns 7 or 8 SM's he is at his wits end with this as lets just say this is a 3k per car expense so he has a 20k plus bill coming for just simply following the rules????

I did not start the poll I do support having the poll and I believe far more then 50% do not want to go back to stock heads. The real deal is will 70% or more write a letter supporting the same possition??? No idea

Your emotion tells you it's 50 percent.  In reality you don't know.  

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

This sure sounds like the best option going forward.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

What is the stock spec for all 4 heads? Is it well defined? If they cannot tech to the current set of rules, how are they going to tech to the stock specs? 

A team of local tech inspectors are going to have a seance around a crystal ball to channel the SM god for guidance and see if it "looks" stock.

Similar to the the time they prayed to the cam god while looking at cams that incredibly had the exact factory part numbers, "looked" stock but miraculously were better profiled than ever seen OEM.  The cam god handed down commandments with a bunch of numbers on them.

• Jim Daniels - FIG and KentCarter like this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA