Letter #15566. Also emailed a copy to:

BOD@scca.com, JohnMueller@DriveNASA.com, support@mazdamotorsports.com
  • john mueller likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:36

Signed. #300

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Signed. #300

Nice Dave ding,ding, ding you get a wonderful door prize. a new head gasket in case this falls on its face.

• Brocodile likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Dave Metz

Dave Metz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:36

Nice Dave ding,ding, ding you get a wonderful door prize. a new head gasket in case this falls on its face.

Will remember that. I have witnesses!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

HAHAHAHA. 

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Number:18

I signed, however I think Mazda will force everyone to go to un-modified stock heads.

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I don't know how many of the 301 and counting are actual SM racers, but if a majority have also sent a letter even saying simply "I support the core ideas expressed in the (link) petition to ...", it should set some kind of record. Already double what I expected, and I'd be impressed even if I disagreed.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
The real question is what action will people take if the scca/nasa reject the proposal outright and continue down the stock head path?

I've declared in my letter that I will not participate in any event by either org if that happens. Switching classes does nothing---they still get my money.
  • MPR22 likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

jthuney

jthuney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:13

Does this petition support the continued use of the cheater heads in question at the runoffs? Just want to be clear on what I signed.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Does this petition support the continued use of the cheater heads in question at the runoffs? Just want to be clear on what I signed.

That struck me as funny and I was about to post something snide, but that would have been unfair. I'm guessing that not returning to "stock" is your priority and the rest collateral, or not. Reasonable enough.

Certainly some heads found to be non-compliant would be covered by the proposed rule, while some of the more aggressively manicured ones likely not. Some plunge cuts were said to be a few thou below the max and those might clean up if taken to the limit.

But it's still pretty funny.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

jthuney

jthuney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:13

Happy to entertain you Steve. Glad you weren't snide because I do not believe that the 1.6 crowd has a chance either way. We can't run with the newer cars as it is with the existing heads and the same holds true if we go all stock heads. That is not reasonable to me because in order to compete I am going to have to upgrade to a 99 or newer car and eat a good portion of the money I paid for my 1990 boat anchor 16 months ago.

So the answer to my question is yes. Thank you

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I signed, however I think Mazda will force everyone to go to un-modified stock heads.

They aren't forcing you to do anything.  You would be choosing to race or not just as Mazda chooses to support the class or not.  Failing a change you can get your region to run a class with rules that are more palatable.   Mazda has stated what they want to see in the class and I don't know that a letter writing campaign will change that but it may be able to convince the sanction not to approve the change. Which may cause Mazda to reconsider some of the support for the class, contingency, tow fund, paddock space.  I don't think they'd axe MSM memberships for SM as they allow them for pretty much any SCCA or NASA class or TT, solo, etc but they may decide it's not worth the drama and focus on SM5, B-Spec and MX5 Cup.  To my knowledge and recollection (from about 2003 on) Mazda getting involved like this, at least publicly is unprecedented.  

I think it's an ill informed opinion to think Mazda decided they wish the see the class return to its roots without thinking about it in detail.  Not the technical details so much as the business case and marketing details and how the current situation impacts Mazda's efforts to use the class as a marketing platform.  They are looking at it first from a perspective of how it works for them. They don't need the grief though at this point the class could continue without their support.  This is a marketing program for them, not a technology program and if the direction isn't to their liking i wouldn't expect the level of support to remain as it is now. 

How many of you would really walk away from the thousands of dollars in cars and race equipment over what is basically a couple of grand over a few seasons?  I think the bulk of the anger isn't the money, some of these guys spend two to three times that in tires a season, let alone over three years or the fuel bill for towing to the Runoffs.  I think being left out of the decision making process was a bigger issue for some folks.

• MarekM likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

IMO,

Mazda is at the table but has no comment but is willing to support the clubs as best they can.

The clubs are acting as one, with SCCA not trusting the foxes that guarded the hen house, getting us in the mess were in, even though they have the most knowledge for what's best for the class moving forward. So they look at NASA for guidance which is where we are now.

The stock head ruling is the most expensive for anyone/everyone who has a plunge cut in the last 5 years and is bad for parity which we have worked so hard to get, most effecting of for the 1.6's.

Then you have the petition created by those that have cheated up head, wishing to keep their heads, keeping parity poor and keeping 1.6's in the hole at most tracks.

Those that were legal will have to pay to get the mod's to their heads, which I don't think is fair for those following the rules

I'm for keeping the 2014 rules, enforcing the rules, I guess a weight penalty for the cheaters, tweaking the rules in favor of the 1.6's/1.8's,

(even if parity is very close in my region), it's for the benefit of the class.

My seat, belts and HANs are expired this year, I have better use of my money than to get a new head.

I'm out.

Looking forward to running NCRC without out all the BS.

Maybe do some fun tracks back east.

:peace1:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I think it's an ill informed opinion to think Mazda decided they wish the see the class return to its roots without thinking about it in detail.  Not the technical details so much as the business case and marketing details and how the current situation impacts Mazda's efforts to use the class as a marketing platform.  They are looking at it first from a perspective of how it works for them. They don't need the grief though at this point the class could continue without their support.  This is a marketing program for them, not a technology program and if the direction isn't to their liking i wouldn't expect the level of support to remain as it is now. 

Dave you questioned my comments a few days ago about not really knowing what the class wanted, While I still cannot say that definitively, It is starting to become clearer. I would caution not to speak for Mazda, from what i know, only second hand, Mazda is not interested in their pocket book IMO i think they have the best of intentions for the class. 

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Atlantic Canada
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

Been watching all this with interest. A lot of it seems to be driven by a desire not to mess with existing engine set-ups, and uncertainty about who might actually be affected. Has anybody suggested maybe just letting stock heads run lighter than everyone else, instead of adding weight penalties to the existing fleet? That might still provide the kind of incentive that Mazda seems to want to go back to stock heads without upsetting the existing apple cart too much.

If the 'weight penalty' being proposed is only 20 - 30 pounds, I can't see it having much affect on anyone except at the absolute cutting edge anyway.

Anyway, just a thought. Since I race in Canada, I don't have a say in SCCA/NASA policy. But our org up here will probably follow whatever you folks down there eventually decide on, so I still have some skin in the game.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Here's my letter (and acknowledgement) sent this AM.

Rick

Thank you for submitting a request/input to the Club Racing Board. The details of your request can be found below.

Letter ID Number: #15647

Title: Opposition to proposed stock head rule

Class: SM

Request: I wish to express my strong support for a rule that will permit the continued use of existing 1.6 and 1.8 Spec Miata heads which were modified under the existing rule and I support the recent petition sent to the SCCA in that regard.
While a sweeping unmodified stock only rule is the easy solution for enforcement, it is not in the broad interest of the class.
Rick Deerwester 

• pat slattery likes this

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year