Photo

While we are at it......

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Different stroke for different folks.

As long as there are no rules to really bite offenders in the a$$ why change the rules. The Runoffs guys maybe lost their heads, lost their finishing positions, got big ol :grouphug: from many and life goes on untill the same shit happens again. The trend continues, same as in the past when the cheaters got caught, in the past change the rules to meet the cheats. This time maybe not. At the same time, if there were a death penalty in place for a second offense folks would get real smart in a hurry after their first offense. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Given all the discussion about camber it seems likely that paper will fly freely at majors events next season. Do you really want that kind of chaos? Would you rather everyone ignore it so people who follow the rules continue to lose? Or would you rather change the rules to something that makes sense for everyone? You have to choose or someone will choose for you, but those are the only options.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
While we are waiting for some final rulings on head gate and parity adjustments, I wanted to add to the topics, the topic of drafting and/or bump drafting in qualifying. I personally like tracks that I can qualify on my own and always feel at a disadvantage at the drafting tracks.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Me too. We should team up. :)
  • FTodaro and RussMcB like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Me too. We should team up. :)

Your 1.6 couldn't keep up with his COTY.  :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Different stroke for different folks.

As long as there are no rules to really bite offenders in the a$$ why change the rules. The Runoffs guys maybe lost their heads, lost their finishing positions, got big ol :grouphug: from many and life goes on untill the same shit happens again. The trend continues, same as in the past when the cheaters got caught, in the past change the rules to meet the cheats. This time maybe not. At the same time, if there were a death penalty in place for a second offense folks would get real smart in a hurry after their first offense. 

The problem with death penalties in racing, as in real life, they are final and rely on human beings to adjudicate.  Stiff penalties and fines yes.  Death penalties, not good for the class. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Is there anything in rules about new track records procedure?

Seal the engine coming off track, do a anal cavity search when the weekends over ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Is there anything in rules about new track records procedure?

Seal the engine coming off track, do a anal cavity search when the weekends over ?

J~

In SCCA, no.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

The problem with death penalties in racing, as in real life, they are final and rely on human beings to adjudicate.  Stiff penalties and fines yes.  Death penalties, not good for the class. 

The death penalty gets the attention of the cheaters in SCCA SRF.   :scratchchin:

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

The death penalty gets the attention of the cheaters in SCCA SRF.   :scratchchin:

That is a spec class where equipment is sealed by a sole supplier.  Very easy to place blame on the competitors for out of compliance items.

While it is the responsibility of the driver/entrant to race a compliant SM, I understand, we use various suppliers with no guarantees of legality.  If you want to issue the death penalty for a modified restrictor plate, I am fine with that since that comes from enterprises.  But giving someone the death penalty for something they bought, I would never agree as appropriate.  If SM had that rule, then EVERY class in the SCCA should.  We are not unique.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

I agree with James, In SM we do not have a sealed program with have stock with a long list of allowable modifications and allowances, for valve cuts, crank wt. it goes on and on. I am sure that the volunteers in tech who just want everyone to play fair and have fun would not feel good about issuing death penalties. There is a huge disconnect between authoring rules and implementing them, just look at your US congress.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I agree with James, In SM we do not have a sealed program with have stock with a long list of allowable modifications and allowances, for valve cuts, crank wt. it goes on and on. I am sure that the volunteers in tech who just want everyone to play fair and have fun would not feel good about issuing death penalties. There is a huge disconnect between authoring rules and implementing them, just look at your US congress President.

Fixed it for ya.  

• Ron Alan, Jim Drago and MDixon like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Fixed it for ya.

Just like in racing, blame smeone else for all our woes. And avoid blaming ourselves (congress).
  • Alberto likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Rule life is good, please carry on.  Naw, not really, if rule life was good there wouldn't continue to be new anti cheat rules added. New head rules, REM rule, painting intake, Whistler valve cover off and whatever else. :nonono:   

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Regarding bump drafting. I absolutely LOVE this aspect of the class. Sure I have lost MANY races due to the fact that I have not had a teammate to work with me, but the "teammate-of-convenience" creates such an interesting strategy dynamic on the track. If I help X this lap, will X help me next lap? If I draft by this lap, what should I expect next lap? The permutations are endless, and for me, make the racing so much more of a head game than purely turning a wheel. 

I also believe that the acceptance of bump drafting has been a huge factor in reducing the carnage in the past few years. In the past when you would exit a turn carrying more speed than the guy ahead, you would draft up to his bumper and not being allowed to bump, you would go for the pass, as none of us want to lift and have the guy behind close up on you. That created a lot of last second hail mary dive bombs. But with bump drafting, you can transfer your momentum into the car ahead and you both benefit and pull away from the guy behind. 

• Dave Cox, pat slattery, steveracer and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:13

Danny,

I totally agree with your point about bump drafting in the races. I love it and have so much fun with it. It would be interesting though if qualifying were set up such that there was no drafting or bumping at all.

I don't know if it would be any better or worse, but interesting for sure. I think it would only help the guy that is by himself and doesn't want to get to know his fellow racers. All the guys I have met at the track would be more than willing to team up and help each other get a fast lap in qualifying regardless of if you are part of a team or not.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Danny, I agree with your Bump Drafting comments. Also, I will give credit where credit is due, I do not know how many times (a couple to the detriment of myself and my teammate) you have timed your Qualifying lap perfectly and "stolen" a pole! I think you are the best at doing that I have seen. Also, (please dont let your head get to big) but you do not seem to have a problem getting others to bump draft with you in a Q session or a race, I have no problems running with you as a pseudo team mate. Just a thought, but maybe a team mate is not critical if your fast!
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Thanks for the kind words Craig. Yup with no official team mates, I do what I can with whoever is out on the track, and I will admit to getting some pretty decent tow's to some unexpected poles!!!

And I have always enjoyed worked with you, Drago, Lamb and Stearns in races, but in the race, when we get close to the end, when push comes to shove (if your pardon the expression), we all know who is going to get the shove!!

My ARRC video shows it very well. Dillon pushing me, me pushing Dillon, but when it all mattered, Topping pushed Dillon, and so it should be! :-) 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Yup with no official team mates, I do what I can with whoever is out on the track, and I will admit to getting some pretty decent tow's to some unexpected poles!!!

Danny--The track whore....!!!!!!!!!!    Don't reread what you wrote as it sounds pretty bad........   :)  Everybody needs a nickname....

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Regarding bump drafting. I absolutely LOVE this aspect of the class. Sure I have lost MANY races due to the fact that I have not had a teammate to work with me, but the "teammate-of-convenience" creates such an interesting strategy dynamic on the track. If I help X this lap, will X help me next lap? If I draft by this lap, what should I expect next lap? The permutations are endless, and for me, make the racing so much more of a head game than purely turning a wheel. 

I also believe that the acceptance of bump drafting has been a huge factor in reducing the carnage in the past few years. In the past when you would exit a turn carrying more speed than the guy ahead, you would draft up to his bumper and not being allowed to bump, you would go for the pass, as none of us want to lift and have the guy behind close up on you. That created a lot of last second hail mary dive bombs. But with bump drafting, you can transfer your momentum into the car ahead and you both benefit and pull away from the guy behind.

Is this include bump drafting in Qualifing, because if I was uncleare, I was limiting my remark to Qualifing only, as well as pointing out that we all rationalize bending rules, in the non NSAA events.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users