Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

In the same respect, careful what you ask, for you may get it...

Want to catch these guys, be prepared to spend some time in tech yourself.

J~

• Alberto likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96

Some very experienced people have explained that spec'ing camber is a very bad idea, in fact dumb. They have also mentioned that it has been a very challenging thing in pro events, much less at our level (with our resources).

This spec (camber) was removed from our class in the past. History doesn't need to repeat itself here.

John,
Please make sure you do your homework very carefully on this one. I don't think your own mechanical / car prep experience is sufficient to make this call responsibly without it.

This class isn't broken damnit. If you follow history things are better than they've ever been, except for this recent issue. It's a hell of a lot more benign than "the old days". Let's resolve the STR issue and move on.

If you want to push hard on setting a bunch of rules, maybe that effort could be spent promoting SSM.
  • Duncan, James York and JRHille like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73

Some very experienced people have explained that spec'ing camber is a very bad idea, in fact dumb. They have also mentioned that it has been a very challenging thing in pro events, much less at our level (with our resources).

This spec (camber) was removed from our class in the past. History doesn't need to repeat itself here.

John,
Please make sure you do your homework very carefully on this one. I don't think your own mechanical / car prep experience is sufficient to make this call responsibly without it.

This class isn't broken damnit. If you follow history things are better than they've ever been, except for this recent issue. It's a hell of a lot more benign than "the old days". Let's resolve the STR issue and move on.

If you want to push hard on setting a bunch of rules, maybe that effort could be spent promoting SSM.

+++1
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Rules?

We don need no steen king rules.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Less than optimal for sure, but we've been through that a couple times now and there is roughly zero chance of new spings or shocks. But travel at the "right height" isn't much of a problem since adding the Fat Cat kit. Any lower than they allow, especially in the NA, is a bad way to get camber.

I'm running ~4" (pinch weld to ground) with fat cats and travel is definitely an issue.  I wouldn't expect to change springs (they are not a wear item like shocks) and are close enough.  Also curious as to when the shock spec was changed (or what did you mean by being through this a couple of times)?  But yeah, I expect that the chances of getting shocks changed is somewhere in the ballpark of having minimum weights lowered. ;)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

screaming monkey

screaming monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:WI
  • Car Number:65

Maybe SM should be suspended as a National class for one year while the rule book is clarified, rewritten or modified. SM drivers can compete in regionals or STL with current cars. Then relaunch the class for 2016. Engine builders can help anybody they sold an engine to with the costs of turning an illegal motor into a legal one and Mazdaspeed can make a line of performance parts that address camber and ride height issues, purchasable from the Mazdaspeed website. After everything that lead up to and ultimately ruined the 2014 Runoffs for Mazda and SM, maybe we don't deserve a Runoffs for our class in 2015. .02

• Chad Martin likes this

Richard Scott Mooney
"Warm up your tires, brakes and brains"

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Very interesting idea. I don't support it, but it is very intriguing to contemplate how it would play out, especially with the "big tents" (my new term for teams, formal or loosely aligned by builder). I don't think the club would penalize everyone in the class even though it is likely that a large majority of Runoffs participants had similar heads. But interesting.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

This thread kinda turned into the camber thread for a while, which was fine, but the intent of it was to call out other known areas of issue so we can get them addressed and move forward and not have another major setback in the future.  I think making a camber rule is a waste and we should just open it up and make either an offset bushing legal or spec a maximum distance from the spindle attachment points so we don't get guys with Kentucky hot wrenches bending things way beyond the point that they could still have some structural integrity.

So, with that in mind..... Here's another example:

VVT Computers......  I'm told they can not be checked because of the immobilizer issue.  Not sure if true or not, but if it is true and the computers can not be checked then we have another major area for concern.  If they can be checked (off site) but not swapped out that is equally as bad.  I believe we need the ability to swap computers at the larger events to keep them honest.  We had a computer done a few years back for one of our 25 hour cars and the guy that did it told us he did 100's of computer flashes for SpecMiata's every year.  Don't know how true that is or not, but that's what I was told.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can think of gray areas that need to be addressed.  If we start bringing some of these issues out into the public domain maybe we can collectively find ways to address them and fix them moving forward.

As I have stated before, I believe the SM Ruleset will ALWAYS be a work in progress as more and more things are caught and will get better and better with time.

Sean

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

So, with that in mind..... Here's another example:

VVT Computers......  I'm told they can not be checked because of the immobilizer issue.  Not sure if true or not, but if it is true and the computers can not be checked then we have another major area for concern.  If they can be checked (off site) but not swapped out that is equally as bad.  I believe we need the ability to swap computers at the larger events to keep them honest.  We had a computer done a few years back for one of our 25 hour cars and the guy that did it told us he did 100's of computer flashes for SpecMiata's every year.  Don't know how true that is or not, but that's what I was told.

Sean

And the result was open FP regulators and timing wheels.  While not as perfect as what can be done with maps in the ECU, it pretty much makes it a waste of time and $$.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Maybe true on the '99-00 but my understanding is that the VVT can be fully remapped for timing and fuel, among other things, which is a LOT different than what the others were said to have at the time.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I think you have out of date data.....  or maybe we are saying the same thing differently.  However, not a big deal either way.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA