Photo

**NEW** Pro Engine Poll - what are your expectations?

- - - - - STR

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: What are your expectations of a pro builder? (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Select the statement that is MOST true for you. (response is private)

1. I own a pro builder head and am/would be upset to learn that it has non-compliant STR work (43 votes [64.18%])

Percentage of vote: 64.18%

2. I own a pro builder head and am/would be OK with learning that it has non-compliant STR work because I expect them to push the limits as other builders to keep me competitive (4 votes [5.97%])

Percentage of vote: 5.97%

3. I do not own or have not used a pro builder head in the past 5 years but if I did would be upset to learn that it has non-compliant STR work (18 votes [26.87%])

Percentage of vote: 26.87%

4. I do not own or have not used a pro builder head in the past 5 years but if I did would be OK with learning that it has non-compliant STR work because I expect them to push the limits as other builders to keep me competitive (2 votes [2.99%])

Percentage of vote: 2.99%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Sorry guys, the first one of these got lost so doing it again. Simple poll to see what people expect from their pro builders when it comes to stretching the rules to keep you competitive.

It is not intended to be negative or start yet another argument about cheating, so don't try to read anything more into it than an attempt to get a sense of what people really expect. It is a private poll so others can't see how you voted.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
SHIT, happened again!,,

Will try to fix it...

OK, if you already voted on this one please check try again.

Damn Jim, it's not only slow but flaky too. Don't force me to take my poll somewhere else! 😉
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

We are working on it ;)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Super slow...almost like a stock head

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Super slow...almost like a stock head

😂😂😂😂😂

And the emoticons aren't working.

Anyway, this get a huge laugh from me!!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

FYI Steve...I have never seen an emoticon from you. Just a colorless square each time...I thought that meant something but was to stupid to figure it out!  :rotfl:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

FYI Steve...I have never seen an emoticon from you. Just a colorless square each time...I thought that meant something but was to stupid to figure it out! :rotfl:

Now THAT's FUNNY! :rotfl:

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
The granularity is still to wide. The degree of "non-compliance" matters (minor, moderate, egregious). I'm Ok with anything done by a Scotch Brite pad.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:15
Missing one option in your poll Steve.

"I have a machine shop head with legal valve job, unshroud, deck, and plunge cuts with no STR work."
  • john mueller likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Not the point of the poll. The focus is on how people feel about builders pushing the limits, with STR work being a convenient example. I could list lots of prep-level variations and the results would be interesting, but that's an entirely differnt question and would blur the meaning.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

The granularity is still to wide. The degree of "non-compliance" matters (minor, moderate, egregious). I'm Ok with anything done by a Scotch Brite pad.

But that's impossible to quantify for the poll and people will have different definitions of "acceptable". For this it needs to be pretty much black & white, are you OK with YOUR builder taking risks on your behalf? No poll is perfect and I tend to be very critical of most, but sometimes it really is best to draw a fairly sharp line so people have to choose one side or the other. Follow-up comments like yours are always an option.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Missing one option in your poll Steve.

"I have a machine shop head with legal valve job, unshroud, deck, and plunge cuts with no STR work."

Spot on Jason.  This is where I believe most of the heads land.

• David L likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

Spot on Jason.  This is where I believe most of the heads land.

John,

Its hard to ask any question in the current forum climate of tension, so please take my question as a genuine one and not intended to be combative. Respectfully, how do you come to this conclusion?

My observation is that most people really do think that thier machined heads are legal to a strict interpretation of the current rule (as per Runnoffs inspections) - but I am skeptical. I think that probably the majority will fail the test. Legal would include, as I understand it, no use even of Emory paper to clean up the area, or what many (arguably most) builders, including the article linked earlier today, consider as normal machining cleanup. I'm not arguing the correctness or not of the rule interpretation, nor whether its possible to machine to the rule, simply whether most existing heads would pass this interpretation.

CNJ
  • Steve Scheifler likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Exactly.

But again, that has absolutely nothing to do with this poll. If you have "pro head", pretend for a moment that you don't know exactly what was done to it. Financial considerations aside, would you be more disappointed that you got "less" for your money than what many others have run for years, or that you were expecting a "legal" head but got one that would have failed Runoffs tech this year? That's it, regardless of what you think you actually have.
  • Cnj and Bi11 like this

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

John,

Its hard to ask any question in the current forum climate of tension, so please take my question as a genuine one and not intended to be combative. Respectfully, how do you come to this conclusion?

My observation is that most people really do think that thier machined heads are legal to a strict interpretation of the current rule (as per Runnoffs inspections) - but I am skeptical. I think that probably the majority will fail the test. Legal would include, as I understand it, no use even of Emory paper to clean up the area, or what many (arguably most) builders, including the article linked earlier today, consider as normal machining cleanup. I'm not arguing the correctness or not of the rule interpretation, nor whether its possible to machine to the rule, simply whether most existing heads would pass this interpretation.

CNJ

Maybe I'm an optimist but I don't agree that "the majority will fail the test"...  Not sure why I feel that way, just do.  I have no data or evidence to support my 'claim" it's just my gut (hope).

I guess technically "even (use) of Emory paper to clean up the area" would get someone DQ'd. I don't have a rebuttal to that but can't say definitively yup or nope.  Remember, measuring the STR is stupid hard to do.  Irrespective of what folks here and what the petition suggests, it's tough.  It's a small area that even in a well lit room with flashlights it's nearly impossible to see let alone measure.  Some go/no-go tooling would have to be developed or a knowledgeable SM Tech Compliance Team to be created to handle such cases  ;) (hint hint).

• tony senese likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

John M,

with the current debate on plunge cuts and Peak HP...you have my permission to share any info you gathered on the dyno last weekend! You did dyno a 01, 99 and 95 and looked at all those heads. And pretty sure you dynoed a couple 1.6 cars as well? Hopefully you know the temps those cars dynoed at...that is pretty important.

I actually feel that should all be public knowledge anyways...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

Maybe I'm an optimist but I don't agree that "the majority will fail the test"...  Not sure why I feel that way, just do.  I have no data or evidence to support my 'claim" it's just my gut (hope).

I guess technically "even (use) of Emory paper to clean up the area" would get someone DQ'd. I don't have a rebuttal to that but can't say definitively yup or nope.  Remember, measuring the STR is stupid hard to do.  Irrespective of what folks here and what the petition suggests, it's tough.  It's a small area that even in a well lit room with flashlights it's nearly impossible to see let alone measure.  Some go/no-go tooling would have to be developed or a knowledgeable SM Tech Compliance Team to be created to handle such cases  ;) (hint hint).

John,

Thanks for responding. OK, I'll bite on your hint...

So can we get a full time Mazda trained compliance team who can move around the country for random checks? :)

CNJ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

It is my belief that the reliance of go/no-go tooling partly responsible for what got us into trouble.  When tech could visibly see there were modifications, those tools where no longer relevant.

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
The current tooling is great at measuring the max diameter of plunge and un shroud cuts. Very good very repeatable Reguardless of user. Str will be subjective too new tooling or trained tech team
  • tony senese likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

The current tooling is great at measuring the max diameter of plunge and un shroud cuts. Very good very repeatable Reguardless of user. Str will be subjective too new tooling or trained tech team

The point I was trying to get across was that the go/no-go tools seemed to become the only measure that builders relied upon, and everything that they couldn't measure became tech shed legal (an educated hunch only).  I'm also guessing tech was disgusted with stuff that was clearly obvious even to the untrained eye..  It seems the definition of tech shed legal got pushed to the limits, but again, this is only conjecture, as I wasn't there.  The tools all have their place in the process, but solely relying upon them is dangerous for all.  Same with the Whistler.

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: STR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users