Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

The second engine sent to race builder makes more power.

Reason, OEM specs just mean that the parts are within the spec tolerance. Race builder selects parts that are within the tolerance but also matched to themselves.

Second reason, professional engine builders are not constrained by the rule that says if it doesn't say you can....you can't.

True.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Which engine best conforms to 9.1.7.C.1?

c. Crankshaft

1. The stock Mazda Miata crankshaft must be used with

no modifications except for machining to allow the use

of main and rod bearings as allowed in 2 below. Shot

peening to stress relieve the crankshaft after machining

is permitted. The following table lists the permitted crankshaft

for each model year and the minimum weight (not

including pilot bearing or hardware).

Model Year Part Number Minimum Weight

(kgs)

90-93 (short nose) B617-11-300          26.5

90-93 (long nose) B6S7-11-300A         26.5

94-05 BP06-11-300D                           35.6

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
King Hiro I had a pro motor built back in 2009 and then I redid it a couple of years ago myself and I ended up with an extra 2.5 hp and 2 TQ .

I can't explain it but when I rebuilt it I used all brand new parts from mazda I mean all new, pistons,rods,bearings,rings,valves,pumps,ect...and I didn't do anything else ( no machine,grinding,porting,ect...) just a rebuild. So I couldn't give you a for sure answer.

Ps. The dyno numbers I used was a fresh rebuild on both and no break in time. Then I did them both after a couple of race weekends and they still had the same results.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

One more time, with feeling. I'm not talking about junkyard engines or even necessarily budget builds.

Question: Two brand new crate motors. One gets sent to a Mazda dealer to be disassembled, measured and reassembled to exact oem specs and procedures. The other goes to (pick a name) professional Spec Miata engine builder for whatever their standard build procedure is.

Which engine makes more power?

Which engine best conforms to 9.1.7.C.1?

We don't race or rebuild crate engines any longer.  Most of us are racing with rebuilt engines from old street cars.  We have a well defined set of rules for the rebuilding process.  Those rules allow some machining of some parts.  The rules are designed to make the engines both reliable and very similar in terms of power (when the rules are followed).  Using an experienced and meticulous engine builder costs a little more but has 2 benefits, better reliability and better power.  This may not be true 100% of the time but the odds are better that one will reap these benefits by using an experienced Miata or race engine builder.  

There's always the sealed engine argument (but many won't like that if suddenly forced to pay $6K for a rebuilt sealed certified engine) so our class operates on rebuilt engines.  Until then we have tight rules which give everyone the same opportunity and the rules also don't require racers to use rebuilt engines.  Our class offers choice.  Run an old tired engine if you like, rebuild it yourself if you like or buy an engine from your rebuilder of choice.   

My experience has been that buying a professionally rebuilt engine is quite cost effective (best bang for the buck) when you consider performance and can amortize the expense over 3-4 seasons or even longer if you are only the occasional racer.  

• Jamz14 likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

My experience has been that buying a professionally rebuilt engine is quite cost effective (best bang for the buck) when you consider performance and can amortize the expense over 3-4 seasons or even longer if you are only the occasional racer.  

Plus it gives you someone to call when things go wrong. If i had to pay an hourly rate for all the time and phone calls of my builder over the last 5 years on the questions and problems i come up with, i can say I got the motor for free. The support is more valuable than the motor.

• Mark likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Maybe that's true but consider that a "pro" motor is about $7k while your garden variety used, NA SM can be purchased for around that price or a wee bit more...

You won't be going for a national win with that car and motor but it gets people on track and racing.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I was expecting some type of an announcement does anyone know when a statement will be or is supposed to be released? Wheel?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I was expecting some type of an announcement does anyone know when a statement will be or is supposed to be released? Wheel?

I thought today was the BOD meeting.....  But my memory is not as good as it once was...

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA