DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

This is good info...I'll check the ones I have coming before installing them.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Hey, what are you guys torquing the long bolt to?  The Mazda spec seems too high with these bushings.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
The bushing should never see high load, you are pinching the sleeve.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

The bushing should never see high load, you are pinching the sleeve.

So pinch it to the factory spec?  

Domm Leuci

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Honestly, I've never used a torque wrench on those and don't know the spec. One of those things I figure need to be extra right, but don't go by my bad example. Better choice is probably to use the high end of whatever range the book says.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Honestly, I've never used a torque wrench on those and don't know the spec. One of those things I figure need to be extra right, but don't go by my bad example. Better choice is probably to use the high end of whatever range the book says.

Off the top of my head, it's like 120-140 ftlbs!

Domm Leuci

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

2 LONG  21mm box wrenches as hard as you can pull 

• FTodaro likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Eric Orton

Eric Orton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Pennsylvania
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:33

Off the top of my head, it's like 120-140 ftlbs!

118-137 Nm / 87-101 ft-lbs

Eric Orton

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Those are 3 grunt  bolts.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Fart tight
  • Tom Sager and Erik Hardy like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Number:18

We stock these, and have used them wit no issues.  The key is to make sure you get lubed and installed correctly.

http://www.raceoutfi...oducts_id=34837

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Number:18

btw these can be easily installed with the upper control arm still in the car.  Once you remove the long bolt and the shock assembly out of the way pivot the control arm out and use a ball joint removal tool from harborfreight to press the old ones out.

Link to the tool I keep in my trailer:  http://www.harborfre...cles-60827.html

As Jim mentioned before the key is to allign them in max camber setup.

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Reviving this again because we seem to have run into a new problem. While checking front wheel bearings at the track I thought one was going bad. It wasn't real bad yet but without giving it much thought I swapped the hub to be done with it for the weekend. Turned out that wasn't the problem so I swapped the ball joint. That wasn't it either. We did a couple more sessions before I had time to work on it again and then it didn't seem to have gotten any worse.

Taking the time to look more closely I found that the slop was in the long inner bolt of the upper arm, it seemed that the nut was loose. I tightened that but it didn't feel quite right. I found one loose on Tom's car as well. I suspected that over tightening had stretched the bolts and threads so they would no longer toque properly. I ordered new parts.

Back at the shop I pulled them apart and found that the inner sleeves had cut into the giant washers enough that the sleeves were no longer pinched tightly between the washer and SF tube, producing the slop/play.

This was with the ISC bushings but the Whiteline sleeves are nearly identical. I needed a quick turnaround so I dressed down the washers and reassembled with new bolts & nuts, but it seems likely to happen again. What I did not do in my haste was take a very close look at the ends of the sleeves to see if perhaps some have a sharper edge or taper, and I did not closely inspect the SF tube for similar damage. I will probably do both this weekend as I have the front of one car torn down anyway.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or been unable to locate the source of slight play in a front wheel?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Steve, you had me in the garage looking at 6:15 am. In my mind there are 3 potential issues to cause looseness in the upper control arm long bolt. Stretched long bolt, the axial length of new inner tube pieces is less than the OEM pieces and the long bolt nut is bottoming out on the long bolt threads or was never axial tight from the get-go which is doubtful under your watch. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
You left out the one I described, sleeve cuts into washer and/or SF, reducing the "pinch". Granted, it would seem that happens only if things start loose enough for some rotation, but if the sleeve is a lot harder than the washer then maybe not. The big problem is that if the sleeve cuts deep enough you then start binding up the bushing and therefore the entire arm.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Bearings make much better pivot points than any bushings/sleeve combination. Sadly, we can't have those.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I will be prepping cars this week for Mid Ohio and June Sprints, Craig and Erik have had the upper bushings in for over a season and a half and have not had any play yet? I will check closely this week and report back. I run the White line, I thought and still feel it is the best option

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Totally agree with Jim.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

Just another data point, I ran the ISC delrin bushings for 3 seasons on my PTE car.  No issues with any parts wearing out, developing play, or with the bolt loosening.

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Finally got around to doing mine.  Is it bad that the UCA is not "flopping down" when disconnected from everything except the "big bolt"?  Springs right back to its position on one side. Guess these should fix that - my guess is that whoever previously tightened them went crazy with the torque.

The little grease packet that comes with the whiteline kit - where does that go?  Between the sleeve and the bushing or inside the sleeve or both?

Other than that, will quickly chase the sleeves with a die grinder first - per my earlier post, I feel some ridges, but the bolt goes through with no problem - I'm guessing that's a waste of time..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users