Photo

Non OEM Inner Bushings

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I would caution anyone trying this method...$130 mistake, bent two arms, doesn't take much to bend them....

Thank you.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I understand the Mazda is starting to ship the harder version of there offerings. the softer version is still on Back order. Hopefully folks can post their results pics of how its going. Thanks Deyan for your comments. if you don't have any spares on hand that could be a problem.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

That is not the case, this bushing will retain the original characteristics of W52208 (IE: a one piece bonded bushing with a steel sleeve). Below is an image of what the bushing will look like (only difference is some slight knurling and grease retention methods are being added to the inside bore of the bushing. This means that once the bushing is pressed into place at the desired angel, it can no longer be adjusted/changed. I hope this has helped clarify some info about KCA452, but please let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

As Orton13 posted, they expect the bushings mid March.

I have used these bushings in our cars, they worked great and when back in stock we will order more. As far as   "This means that once the bushing is pressed into place at the desired angel, it can no longer be adjusted/changed."  These are straight forward to put in, we installed for max offset and get about 4+ degrees of camber at normal ride heights, we run almost mid way on cam adjustment bolts now. I don't see a scenario where you would want to move or adjust after installation unless you installed incorrectly. Once installed correctly, I suggest you pin the bushing in place. We simply drilled a small hole and popped a rivet through the arm and into the metal sleeve. Checked after two weekends and no movement at all in bushings

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Sorry if this was already posted...prices at the bottom.
http://www.mazdamoto...10001&langId=-1

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Below is there additional comment about the bushings.

That is not the case, this bushing will retain the original characteristics of W52208 (IE: a one piece bonded bushing with a steel sleeve). Below is an image of what the bushing will look like (only difference is some slight knurling and grease retention methods are being added to the inside bore of the bushing. This means that once the bushing is pressed into place at the desired angel, it can no longer be adjusted/changed. I hope this has helped clarify some info about KCA452, but please let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

As Orton13 posted, they expect the bushings mid March.

This info ^ was/is a direct quote from WhiteLine.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Ouch!! Sorry to hear that. I did this on some pretty old arms with no problem at all, but certainly there is risk if the bushings require a lot of force.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Neddy

Neddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Any have some news on the Whiteline bushes ETA?

Cheers.

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
I'm to lazy to read all of these posts but does anyone know if the bushings fit all the years or are they diff. ?
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Fit all
  • B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Referencing WhiteLine, the same 1990/2005.

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Understand some have received WhiteLine offset bushings where inner sleeves do not fit upper control arm long bolt. My inner sleeves all fit fine. Completely removed control arms from car. Used a three jaw puller to remove original MazdaComp bushings. I in my case removed the paint from the inside of the control arm steel tubes. Remove any rust or crud you may have.  Two of the outer sleeved offset bushings upon pressing went in square to the world, easy peasy. Two of the bushing chose to be a pain in the ass. I was using a large socket that squeezed the inner plastic material a bit and then rested against the outer metal sleeve. I gently hammered the end of the socket to get squared up before using a 12 ton floor press. If one had a length of tubing similar to the outer metal sleeve, that would be better than a socket for squaring up/pressing in the sleeve. Measure the length of your sub frame tube the long bolt travels through and don't push the offset bushings in to far. I measured and pushed the offset bushing in to maybe 1/32 less that the tube measured length. The piss me off issue was that the offset steel sleeve is being pressed into a I believe standard tube (not all that round) welded to the control arm. Three degrees of legal negative camber if you want it is not an issue and you could have four if desired. 

EDIT:

For my 2 cents, with the lengths and diameters were working with, it is what it is.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Has there been any advances in a procedure to install these things?  Do you grease the metal sleeve/control arm tubes?  Any suggestions on lining up the 2 holes?

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

We do it in the hydralic press.

Line up the first bushing and press it in. We made a tube to replicate the tube in the sub-frame. Using the original bolt as a guide, press the second bushing in to the tube spacer. make sure the bolt slides in and out easily and you are done. We have done about 30 sets and have the install down to about 10 minutes.

• DrDomm likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I just use a press to press out the old. I cut a piece of 2x2 rectangular tubing it is the exact size to use as a back stop for the control arm and allow the old bushing to be pressed out.

Then on the install, i align up the new bushing by hand get it started in a jaw vice and then finish it off in the press.

While i am at it, spot weld the upper ball joint in the control arm, run a tap on the threads, repack the upper joint and install a new boot.

Takes me about 30 min. once the control arm is off.

I cover that with some pictures in my Build Blog.

• DrDomm likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:46

Ok, sounds simple...maybe I'm just too worried about the alignment of the holes.  Perhaps "pretty close" is good enough.

(I have a serious efficiency problem by analyzing too much)

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Pretty close will not allow the bolt to pass through. They must be lined up Very F-ing close

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99

Pretty close will not allow the bolt to pass through. They must be lined up Very F-ing close

Dave please post pics of how you guys are doing this... it would be helpful to most even a caveman can learn better ways to chizzle on a stone tablet!

K. Webb