wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53

I've watched this and similar threads with interest and some amusement. I'm a 1.6 racer and I have run for the last seven seasons in the WDCR SSM class. Prior to that I ran the car in various EMRA time trial and race series. All told, I've probably got 10,000 miles and 10+ track and race seasons on the car (I've owned it for 18 years now), and according to my notes I typically run the car about 9 weekends per year plus test and practice days. According to this thread, I'm not your "typical 1.6 racer" because I bring the car out so often. I like to run the car competively, and have spent the money, time, and effort needed to do so. I find this thread interesting because I’m considering broadening my racing horizons beyond SM/SSM next season.

As somebody noted above, DC’s SSM class is a huge success. The competition is intense – I’d put the leaders in our class (Wible, Bates, Price, et al) up against the best that National, err, Majors SM has to offer. It’s not a class largely made up of hacks and people too cheap to run a major effort. Don’t believe me – go to the WDCR website and look at the results for yourselves. However, I do not think that success can be replicated on a national level because of the amount of control we as a region can maintain locally. Part of the reason I chose WDCR SSM (even though it’s a 240 mile/five hour tow each way) is because it came close to what I thought the original intent of SM  was supposed to be – you remember, those long gone from the GCR words about “a low cost entry level class.” I’m not here to debate that because that ship has long sailed. However, there must be something about that statement that still resonates – the turnout for WDCR SSM remains huge, with 30+ car fields even in the last few seasons of economic unrest being the norm, not the exception.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I’m considering racing elsewhere next year. Why? Not because of the lack of competition – WDCR SSM has that in spades. In fact, that’s the very thing I’m looking for in whatever class I end up in. A perfect storm of events at the end of the 2014 season (blowed up motor, some body damage) and a desire to competitively run some different tracks beyond the MARRS series have me considering what the best use of my racing funds are. Do I repair, or start fresh? As I said, that’s why I find this thread so interesting.

I could spend them by building my trusty old 1.6 again as a SM car, or build it as either a 1.6 or 1.8 ITA car, or even build it as some sort of STU thingy. I am even considering a NB SM build. (Note to Mike Collins and Chris Windsor, don’t waste the email, no, I’m not interested in SM5, but thanks.) Each of these options have their merits. However, I’ve already decided not to build the old car back up. Why don’t I build the 1.6? As I said, primarily because I want to competitively race at other tracks besides Summit – no knock against the track or the people who race there as they are all awesome. The reason? Because the damned car is 25 freakin’ years old! Parts for these things are no longer exactly falling out of the tress. It’s vintage eligible at this point – and don’t think the SVRA isn’t worried about a bunch of us showing up to play – and time and technology has marched on. From NA to NB to NC and so forth, technology has advanced. Technology is a key ingredient in racing folks, and you can’t stop it from advancing. Suspensions, materials, engine management, it all constantly evolves.

Once upon a time, way back in 2004, this was supposed to be an entry level class. But even then, nothing, and I mean NOTHING in the GCR guarantees competitiveness. The 1.6 isn’t that tool, and one can bitch about “parity” from now until the next blue moon, but it’s meaningless. This isn’t an entry level class any longer, and if you want to run and be competitive, you have to have the right tools. Otherwise, be honest with yourself and reconsider your racing goals.

• Johnny D, Ron Alan, Jim Drago and 1 other like this
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

To quote Mr. Dewhurst ^^^"someone who gets it!"

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Ok, so you have a goal in your mind of success.  What measurement do you suggest to use that will prove this belief?

car weight/pound foot, at rpm in 500 rpm increments from 3,500 rpm to 5,500 rpm, converted to pure pounds for the 1.6 and for the 99. Forgetting all the other varialbes for the moment.

Using my measurement for 1.6 success tells me that a simple/cheap change of lowering the 1.6 weight to 2,200 pounds would not work. The 99 would start taking it to the chin at 5,000 rpm and the 1.6 would continue to toat a larger load in pound below 5,000 rpm.  Because you like to argue/debate in high fashion, you using your measurement tell me how light a 1.6 could be before the 99 takes it on the chin. I gave you a head start, it's reducing the 1.6 weight by less than 100 pounds. The 1.6 races well above 5,500 rpm.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

To quote Mr. Dewhurst ^^^"someone who gets it!"

EDIT:

A bit or two from Jim Drago's post within this thread.

The 1.6 should fade away IMO.  IMHJ, never going to happen.

Another quote ^ from Mr. Dewhurst

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Is that what it takes to make 1.6 drivers believe they are competitive, have some regional 1.6 guy beat Voytek in his 99?

When Voytek shows up and spanks all the 1.6 drivers, its not the car.  But its an easy to use scapegoat.....

Twister, put your selective reading capability in the closet, I said measuring stick.

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

car weight/pound foot, at rpm in 500 rpm increments from 3,500 rpm to 5,500 rpm, converted to pure pounds for the 1.6 and for the 99. Forgetting all the other varialbes for the moment.

Using my measurement for 1.6 success tells me that a simple/cheap change of lowering the 1.6 weight to 2,200 pounds would not work. The 99 would start taking it to the chin at 5,000 rpm and the 1.6 would continue to toat a larger load in pound below 5,000 rpm.  Because you like to argue/debate in high fashion, you using your measurement tell me how light a 1.6 could be before the 99 takes it on the chin. I gave you a head start, it's reducing the 1.6 weight by less than 100 pounds. The 1.6 races well above 5,500 rpm.

My comment wasn't directed to you.  I don't care what you think is a measurement of success for a 1.6, and I am not proposing, nor did I propose any measurement myself.  I was asking another poster.  (and I don't get your comment about "my measurement",....  talk about selective reading, you have a case of it and inserted your lbs/torque jumbo)

I can easily read back for your repeated broken record posts about torque below 5500 rpm.  I was interested in a fresh opinion.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Twister, put your selective reading capability in the closet, I said measuring stick.

Fine.  What does that measuring stick tell you then?  What margin "should be" his win victory.  How do you use this stick?

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

My comment wasn't directed to you.  I don't care what you think is a measurement of success for a 1.6, and I am not proposing any measurement.  I was asking another poster.  (so I don't get your comment about "my measurement"....  talk about selective reading, you have a case of it.)

I can easily read back for your repeated broken record post about torque below 5500 rpm.

Sorry about that. Walter ask him the same question. Me and Walter drink the same water.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Fine.  What does that measuring stick tell you then?  What margin "should be" his win victory.  How do you use this stick?

The same way you would use the measuring stick had you raced him. A car length on a 2 mile track and I would say you did damn fine job. 12 seconds on a 2 mile track and I'd say, not so good.

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

The same way you would use the measuring stick had you raced him. A car length on a 2 mile track and I would say you did damn fine job. 12 seconds on a 2 mile track and I'd say, not so good.

So you are saying, if I understand correctly, you would expect a 1.6 driven by a regional guy to be within a car length of Voytek in a 99 for it to be "fair" (car wise).....  Just trying to figure out how this stick can be used to compare.

How about when Voytek finishes BEHIND a 1.6?  How does that factor?

James York

sponsored by: