• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
With Kyle's talents he could have Nelson looking tip top in no time! Why, I can see it now, "A to Z Raceway at Nelson Ledges presents the Kiss my Grass Sprints."

Make it so!
  • Tom Sager likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
I have to take issue with Frank's assessment. I've seen a lot of cars hit the tire walls, seldom were they destroyed.

luckymiata76

luckymiata76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:76

Step 1-Repave

Step 2-Make Proper Tire Barriers

Step 3-Improve bathrooms.

I would race there again in a heartbeat if #1 and #2 were done. Better bathrooms would be nice, but I go to the track to race, not go to the bathroom; I can do that at the hotel.

Jeff

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
I agree Jeff and that's what I was wondering,how many guys would return if those items where addressed.

It's a shame that the two guys that own the track have let it get to this point. It's also funny that the bike guys have and signed there contract for this year and SCCA hasn't . It's not SCCA fault it's the owners fault and that's a shame. It's also bad that the guys that own it have just sucked the money out of this track and never reinvesting it back into the facility.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

I have to take issue with Frank's assessment. I've seen a lot of cars hit the tire walls, seldom were they destroyed.

I have also seen plenty of cars wreck at Nelson's and only seen a couple that where not repairable. I remember a National start at Mid-O and seen 4 cars get totaled before T1 so it can happen at any track and just a chance we all take.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Hitting the talent limiter and the tire wall.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ebaxajk0DdI

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:56

I remember a time(or two) of kuch in the tire wall before oak tree :)

I basically grew up at Nelson's and being 20 minutes away from me, I tried not to miss a race there. Last year they changed management and let the track conditions get worse than ever.

If they fire the bike guy, and fix the track properly, I will be back but until then....

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Another view of Kuch exploring the outer limits of traction at NL.

https://www.youtube....h?v=4wUpJfBG3bA

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I'd love to come back!  

Yes Kuch, I remember that well.  The driver of the car was "borrowing" it for the weekend.  That crash was ugly for a lot of reasons...

Pavement

Safety

Power

Bathrooms

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Step 3-Improve bathrooms.

Jeff

Aren't you a hunter?  Since when do you need more than a hole in the ground?  

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Another view of Kuch exploring the outer limits of traction at NL.

I should get some extra credit points because I stuck the landing ! :)
Kuch

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

there are exceptions, but you have to agree, if you go off your going to hit something, I recall you posting some picks of your race last year going into a wall before T-12. .

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

going into a wall before T-12

In-car posted above. One new inner tie-rod later and I made the afternoon race.

Lots of people love Watkins Glen - it's on my list too - but I think you have much greater odds of destroying a car at the Glen than at Nelson.

https://www.youtube....h?v=9dIX6Wei2d4

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
Have you ever been to Mosport in Canada ? Awesome track and a lot of fun with tons of elevation changes and off camber turns but Talk about no run off room all you see is walls !!
Kuch

Racerguy

Racerguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Ohio
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:42

I have been racing at NL since 1972. The rumors of a rehab started the day it opened in 1961. We go through this every year. It will never happen. I have written off 5 cars there (not all me driving). There have been fatalities there, mostly due to the car launching tire walls. Ask Freddie Baker about the launch ramps when his brand new Porsche went airborne and flipped- very impressive, almost hit the bridge. I went last year for the last time in my SM (new driver), the ignition kept cutting out because of the severe bumps. The water was cut off so back to the outhouse, just for old times sake. This time I will keep my promise, I will never go back unless I am driving a large CAT Bulldozer.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I have been racing at NL since 1972. The rumors of a rehab started the day it opened in 1961. We go through this every year. It will never happen. I have written off 5 cars there (not all me driving). There have been fatalities there, mostly due to the car launching tire walls. Ask Freddie Baker about the launch ramps when his brand new Porsche went airborne and flipped- very impressive, almost hit the bridge. I went last year for the last time in my SM (new driver), the ignition kept cutting out because of the severe bumps. The water was cut off so back to the outhouse, just for old times sake. This time I will keep my promise, I will never go back unless I am driving a large CAT Bulldozer.

I hate to start telling storys but i was running an event there several years ago under my PCA hat and we had a convertible boxster launch over the tire wall at the exit of the carousel and clear it up side down and land into the trees. Thank god the driver in the car walked home but the car did not.

We are attracted to that track for two reasons, its history, and the fact that it truly is a fun circuit. It has and is suffering from management issues, as i understand this is why the SCCA is not returning in 2015.

I used to track my GT3 there and if you did not put the car in the exact spot in the braking zone, the ABS would go wild and you would not be able to slow the car. Nail biter every lap. I once had a passenger tell me that i was sawing at the wheel. I thought to myself you must not have many laps at this track. .

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
Well the big fish I'm trying to get on the line would change everything (pavement,bathrooms safety) about the track so I'm keeping my fingers crossed !
Kuch

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Bathroom safety is very important to me.

Love to see it happen Kuch!

• FTodaro likes this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Why waist the money on bathrooms they are nearly as good as the mid ohio bathrooms without touching them...

I will poop in Novaks motor home when he isn't looking if you get the track fixed...

• FTodaro, B(Kuch)Kucera45 and mellen like this

K. Webb