Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Flags are real time, so primary, wouldn't you say ?

I'd have to say I was looking at it a lot too.
Onetime it screwed me up.
I was caught sleeping on a restart because I thought the accident was more serious.
Nothing really different but the Ap showed yellows but had the red cross.
Total assumption on my part but I was think EMT's were on site, not just the tow truck really.
They pulled the car back and went green.
No hot tow, or tow off.

Local yellows, you get the number of the corner but it's kind of small, maybe should be bigger, but still helpful with out crew on the radio with you.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Yes, flags are primary.  I'm trying to understand the meaning of "secondary".  Under what circumstances would I rely on the app? 

In case of a conflict? flags

In case of a tie? flags

In case of a _____? App

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Flags don't work well at night and 25hr runs at TH for one.
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Rain or fog??
J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Low vis situations make sense. 

What were other driver comments about it (SM as well as other classes)? 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
They can commit if they want.

Also if you qual farther in the back, can't see the flag and spotter is really working.
You could get a jump.

And I wasn't paying attention if a waving yellow flashed and a standing yellow is solid.
May be helpful.
2 turn up, you're coming in hot. Nice to know what kind of the yellow with it(car)on or off track.
J~

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96

I'll chime in on the Spotter app, using it as an auxiliary notification tool only. 

I was amazed that it worked at all given that my phone service is AT&T and my phone barely works at Thunderhill.  The app worked, but with some delay depending.  When I had a couple of cycles to take a look at it, I felt it was cool to be able to confirm all green.  When I saw something strange, like a group of cars way ahead grouping up, I could look at the app and check that it didn't show a yellow.

For a person who is spotting I think it could help show the corner that a caution occurred in, in the event that you can't see that corner.

I'm not sure of the total value of it but in my opinion with yellow flag conditions or safety vehicles on track, every little bit can help.  Although I don't think it would be a good idea to try to rely on it by itself.

Just my $.02

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Anyone know why provisional results for Sunday put me in 2nd instead of 3rd? The gaps don't make sense?

Anyways, this past weekend was the most fun I have had in SM in a long time. The weekend before, my parents called me out for taking SM too seriously over the past six months, so I changed my mindset for this race and seemed to perform even better than before with a smile on my face - win win situation. I am extremely happy with the results, especially considering I have never raced on the 3 mile Thunderhill circuit, and have never driven the track backwards before, 3rd both days. (I think? waiting for official results)

Saturday I had a hell of a battle with Jason Godfrey, with some serious bump drafting down the straights. Pretty intense when you can't see the end of pit wall to cut to the outside before Turn 1! Great race with a great guy I had never met until after the race.

Sunday on the reverse configuration, I binned my qualifying by flying off track carrying too much speed into Turn 11, ploughing through a field in the process, which covered my radiator, made me overheat and come in. Yes I have the video  :king:

Went into the race with about 12 total laps of experience on the reverse configuration, starting 4th. Botched the start as usual (I will soon earn myself a nickname for that, although Nick Sommers may give me a run for my money :bigsquaregrin: ) and got freight trained back to 6th before we even entered Turn 1. After 2 laps, I adapted to the track, went into zen mode, and started hunting. Got back up to third, set fastest lap of the race, and had a full last lap battle with Craig, only to be cut short on the last corner in my final attempt to pass Craig, where he skillfully forced me into a herd of lapped E30's, look forward to video of that entire race lol.

Thanks everyone for a great weekend. Next up, first TMC race at Fontana!

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Nice Job Matt!

Glad your head is in the game and you are having fun again. The battle at ACS is going to be epic for the Teen Mazda Challenge. Im looking forward to watching this through my front windscreen as long as I am able to, and getting the hell out of your guys way into T3.

Good luck my friend and look forward to seeing you there.

• ECOBRAP likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I wonder if there was some position bumps for "hitting the wall" at the exit of turn 1? Almost all touched the line but several went 2 wheels over several times. For all the threats that went on during the drivers meeting no one was black flagged that should have been. Maybe they opted for position penalties after the fact? But if I were a driver up front I would be contesting what i see...there is a few Toyo bucks at stake and I'd hope they got it right if in fact they penalized.

Great close weekend at front! Team Drennan's #2 driver lived up to what many thought was just rumor/folklore! I was asked at the test day who i felt would step up with Mark out of the picture...Tim Barber was my answer...and I was told no way! I won the bet! The legend lives on!

Great to see Craig back on his game and Matt is just flying in the 1.6! Jamie jumped in the rental and showed he had what it took to run right in the front pack. Rusty surprised many(no surprise to me)by being at the front. And the Casey brothers are quickly moving there way up as formidable competition! Kudos to all :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jaime Florence

Jaime Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:96

That was a challenging, but super fun weekend.  Big thanks to Ron Allan Gayman for providing me with a great car.  It certainly was all up to me to make it happen.  Another treat was getting to know and hanging out with Rusty Dees.  Thanks for coming out Rusty.  Come back soon and punt us all.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Now I was bumped to 4th in the prov results? Who do I call...

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Until it's posted here I don't thinks it's final.
http://timingscoring... - April 18-19/

Look at this one.
The "diff" doesn't keep get bigger in a few spots.
http://www.mylaps.co...ication/3440370

I'm 15th so I'm looking for a DQ to get my $50 toyo bucks. Not too many please. :)
J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Matt...

I think Craig was penalized initially for "hitting the wall" or 2 wheels over the white line. He may have proved his case he only touched(as did all)...not crossed. Just watching from the tower those I see who seem to have lost one spot I did see cross for what its worth. I'm sure there is video to confirm or deny...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

I definitely crossed once, and definitely did not cross a second time. I was fully conscious of this during the race. The drivers meeting stated we got one free pass with two wheels over, and would be pointed at with a furled black flag. I did not see the furled flag, but was aware I crossed the line so I did not do it again, just in case. My video will be up soon. It is slightly irritating they seem to be making these adjustments without telling us they are happening, or what the evidence is.

-Ecobrap

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Here's my Sunday vid. Sorry, put the wrong GoPro in the car so it's kind of hard to see out of the car. Saturday's race I put the correct one in, and there is some great footage in that, will be uploading that next, possibly with data if I can get it to work!

-Ecobrap

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Here is my Sat vid, correct camera, and first time with some data overlay!

-Ecobrap

Ryan Wellman

Ryan Wellman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:91

Matt, I'm curious what kind of water temperatures you were seeing during the race.  You spent a lot of time in a close draft and it was very hot outside both saturday and sunday.  I was seeing 205-210 when I was in a close draft and could feel the heat soak.  I was trying to find a balance during the race to keep the ol' 1.6 happy by getting out of the draft into clean air, but also staying in the draft when I needed to. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42

Matt, what are you laying the data over the video with ? is the data from your AIM solo ? 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Matt, I'm curious what kind of water temperatures you were seeing during the race.  You spent a lot of time in a close draft and it was very hot outside both saturday and sunday.  I was seeing 205-210 when I was in a close draft and could feel the heat soak.  I was trying to find a balance during the race to keep the ol' 1.6 happy by getting out of the draft into clean air, but also staying in the draft when I needed to. 

I found this interesting. Last year on the 5 mile course, I was in a moderate draft and seeing temps up to 220, but only on the new part of the track. On the normal part of the track I was hovering at 205. I think that must have just been the new tarmac on the 5 mile course making me overheat...

So lets say I ran at 205 degrees last year during 90 degree temps at Thunderhill. This year, I put some Redline Water Wetter in the rad (yes it's legal), and it seemed to help a bit, as I hovered around 193 degrees out of the draft, and 200 in the draft. I didn't use all of it, so I think if I used more the temps would drop even further. That being said, I was pulling out of the draft constantly to make sure I didn't go above 205. My ideal running temp is 195 fyi.

Matt, what are you laying the data over the video with ? is the data from your AIM solo ? 

I am using RaceRender 3 Ultimate Edition ($50 one-time purchase). It lets me pick from lots of video overlay formats, can modify pretty much everything, very cool and worth the $. And yes, the data is just from my AIM solo, I kind of wish I got the premium model so that I could get ECU information such as rpm, water temp, etc, on the video, but that is an extra $300!

-Ecobrap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users