• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

They said they would open up the supersize option for the championships, if there were enough spots available. 

Looking into it....

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

No worries John I no longer have an interest in supersizing.

Do you know if we will have live video coverage this year like the Runoffs did last year?

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

No worries John I no longer have an interest in supersizing.

Do you know if we will have live video coverage this year like the Runoffs did last year?

Runoffs?  Get your branding right.  Dude, you got P3 at the 2014 NASA Western States Championship....  Nevertheless, I assume there will be some sort of streaming coverage, I'm just not aware which service it will be this year.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Runoffs?  Get your branding right.  Dude, you got P3 at the 2014 NASA Western States Championship....  Nevertheless, I assume there will be some sort of streaming coverage, I'm just not aware which service it will be this year.

I did not get them mixed up, maybe it was unclear. I was asking if the 2015 NASA Championships will have live video coverage similar to what the SCCA Runoffs usually does.

The NASA Champs usually does post-production video instead of live commentated video like SCCA. Was just curious to see if NASA was changing it up.

And I got P4 last year  :buried:

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

Mueller, get ready I'm coming to see you!

• john mueller likes this
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

We had live video at Sonoma but I was told it was bad/spotty. I was too busy racing.

This is something NASA should focus on getting better this year. IMO

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Does he owe you money too? JK :)

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

We had live video at Sonoma but I was told it was bad/spotty. I was too busy racing.

This is something NASA should focus on getting better this year. IMO

J~

Agreed, which is why I asked. Was hoping the more expensive entry fee meant that we might have better live coverage, but maybe that is just for the increased decibel limit instead.

Last year the live video was pretty much two webcams.

-Ecobrap

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Looks like we're getting the band back together !!!  It will be nice to see you again my friend.  Who's coming with ya?

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Im going to get to meet trimless in person. Sweet!

I'll be the one with the rookie plate. You want to be very careful around me and give me an extra wide berth. Consider that I am crazy and demonstrate very poor decision making abilities when under pressure. :)

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark Drennan

Mark Drennan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:10
Saturday:
  • 9:15    20min Warm-Up
  • 11:20  30min Qualifying Race #2
  • (Right now this race will be gridded by the FASTEST lap from Qual Race #1.  This could change.)

Hi John,

From my experience/recollection, past NASA Championship events have gridded Qualifying Race #2 based on finishing position from Qual Race #1.  Personally, that's my preference as I feel it's the best way to recognize/reward a competitor's race performance.  Would like to understand the reasoning/logic behind basing it on Qual #1 lap times which are subject to the effects of drafting.  

Thanks and see you next week!

-Mark        

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Hi John,

From my experience/recollection, past NASA Championship events have gridded Qualifying Race #2 based on finishing position from Qual Race #1.  Personally, that's my preference as I feel it's the best way to recognize/reward a competitor's race performance.  Would like to understand the reasoning/logic behind basing it on Qual #1 lap times which are subject to the effects of drafting.  

Thanks and see you next week!

-Mark        

Agreed but I believe the thinking may be lets say you are running well but have a tire go down or you get punted...  You don't get punished 9as badly or not at all) for random acts.

This is not my call and I believe it was done this way last year at Sears Point, however I could be mistaken.

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

Looks like we're getting the band back together !!!  It will be nice to see you again my friend.  Who's coming with ya?

Hernan Palermo who I believe you know, and Parker Chase ( a first year SM driver). I see Michael Ross signed up from our region as well so we have some of the fast guys joining your party.

G. Corley

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Tim Auger California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda Spec Miata 07 0545974
Alex Alexander Texas Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 21
Noah Grey California- Northern Region Spec Miata mazda miata 85
Rusty Dees Arizona Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 09
Steven Powers Arizona Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 2 7122378
Mikhael Haddad California- Southern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 92 7922189
jimmy casey California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 88 1119406
Will Rodgers California- Southern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 65
Mike Travers Rocky Mountain Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 32B 6413333
Micah Muzio California- Southern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 347
Team Mark Drennan Feat. TFB (SM) California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 10 3178311
Matthew Cresci California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda Spec Miata 511 4331822
Brett Becker California- Southern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 255 9263293
James Brown California- Southern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 17 7495615
Michael Ross Texas Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 22 5068794
Kyle Watkins Rocky Mountain Region Spec Miata mazda miata 78 1725280
Mason Filippi California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda Spec Miata 21 471043
Dean Busk Arizona Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata #7 AMB
Nick Sommers California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 83 None
tony senese Northeast Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 99 1850558
Preston Lerner California- Southern Region Spec Miata mazda miata 41 0784844
Justin Casey California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 85 0213406
ROY FULMER IV California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda Spec Miata 186
Daniel Langon California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 5
Daniel Williams Rocky Mountain Region Spec Miata mazda miata 38 7206293
Tase Flores Rocky Mountain Region Spec Miata mazda Miata 42 8946740
Gale Corley Texas Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 11 4478785
Richard Schader Rocky Mountain Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 3
Marco Gallaher California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 8
tim weaver California- Northern Region Spec Miata Mazda miata 08 1940241
Dakota Dickerson California- Southern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 80 5499685
Matt Million California- Southern Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 14 2874332
Parker Chase Texas Region Spec Miata Mazda Miata 26 1425094

Mark Drennan

Mark Drennan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Agreed but I believe the thinking may be lets say you are running well but have a tire go down or you get punted...  You don't get punished 9as badly or not at all) for random acts.

This is not my call and I believe it was done this way last year at Sears Point, however I could be mistaken.

Thanks John.  Last year was based on finishing position, similar to other years from what i remember.  While basing it on times means folks who get punted don't get punished, it also means people who make mistakes that cost them track position or don't prep their car to survive a race distance (i.e. running out of gas) don't suffer the consequences they're due.  I understand it's not your call but also know you're in the loop with the "deciders" ;-)

Thanks again,

-Mark

• Ron Alan and Team Nitro like this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark Drennan

Mark Drennan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Hernan Palermo who I believe you know, and Parker Chase ( a first year SM driver). I see Michael Ross signed up from our region as well so we have some of the fast guys joining your party.

Hi Gale - great to hear you're coming out. 

FYI - Hernan and Parker ARE NOT signed up for the West Championships (https://www.nasapror...=asc&sort=class).  Currently, they're signed up for the East Championships (https://www.nasapror...=asc&sort=class)

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
I agree with Mark...but get the thought process on fast lap. So here is some food for thought...

1st Qualifying....everyone gets points for there finishing position...1-30. Everyone gets points based on fastest lap in the race...1-30

Add these points together to come up with a total. Lowest to highest totals set grid for 2nd qual race.

Top 5 in first qual race are rewarded with the finish and cannot be bumped down. 6-30 grid poistions are determined by points.

Anyone penalized positions for infractions/contact or DQ for some reason cannot improve their qual race 1 finish position by lap time.

Tie in points...qual race 1 finish is tie breaker.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Remember...the NASA format rewards those who are prepared and drive smart! Rewarding someone who is fast but drives like an idiot and ends up in the gravel...doesn't really seem to keep with the theme. But if that same idiot punts someone else into the gravel at least they have an opportunity to be closer to where they should be in the 2nd qual race.

Hey John...though it may not be the NASA way, what do you think about letting the entrants vote on the qual race 2 method?

Also...is it a mixed group again this year? With who?

Ron

RAmotorsports

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Hey John...though it may not be the NASA way, what do you think about letting the entrants vote on the qual race 2 method?

Also...is it a mixed group again this year? With who?

Very doubtful

SM has it's own run group this year

Thanks John.  Last year was based on finishing position, similar to other years from what i remember.  While basing it on times means folks who get punted don't get punished, it also means people who make mistakes that cost them track position or don't prep their car to survive a race distance (i.e. running out of gas) don't suffer the consequences they're due.  I understand it's not your call but also know you're in the loop with the "deciders" ;-)

Thanks again,

-Mark

As it is now:

• Qualifying race 1's grid (Friday) is determined by fasted lap qualifying session earlier in the day
  • Qualifying race 2's grid (Saturday) is determined by fasted lap during the previous days Qualifying Race 1
  • Championship Race grid is determined by the average finishing position of Qualifying races 1 & 2

Finishing position of Qual Race 1 is still rewarded as part of the calculation for starting position of the Championship Race.

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

1st Qualifying....everyone gets points for there finishing position...1-30. Everyone gets points based on fastest lap in the race...1-30

Add these points together to come up with a total. Lowest to highest totals set grid for 2nd qual race.

Top 5 in first qual race are rewarded with the finish and cannot be bumped down. 6-30 grid poistions are determined by points.

Anyone penalized positions for infractions/contact or DQ for some reason cannot improve their qual race 1 finish position by lap time.

Tie in points...qual race 1 finish is tie breaker.

giphy.gif

-Ecobrap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users