MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

We had our share of problems but the biggest was that I was clueless on tire pressures. This was just our second event with them and I started off wrong then went the wrong direction. Someone straightened me out in time for the SM race and suddenly we closed the 1 second gap to the top cars. I think my fastest race lap was less than 0.1 off the best (congrats to Dave Hechler on the SM track record and Tom for the ITA record) but they were much more consistent.

Steve and others if you have thoughts on the subject.  In my limited experience playing with tire pressures, it is better to go out too high and then back down then to go out too low and try to find the right pressure.  Seems like if I go out too low I may never build enough heat in the tires to make an educated guess on how much I should go up on the next session.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

I think viable passing opportunities are 1a, 2, 6, and 10. A pass between 15-17 might end in a full course caution, the track diminishes quickly at T17 and it wouldn't be a fun place to be going two wide! A pass through T18 - 23 is going to be pretty difficult. 

Track Map:

ncm.png

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I spent a full day at the track last year a month or so after it opened.

I rarely left foot brake but found a couple places that made a difference in rotating the car while under power.  The track has sever places you can be at WOT to early but should not as it puts you off line and leads to a slower lap time and even a spin while leading the race :help:​ .  There are also some places where you cannot get the car to full throttle if the car is handling correctly IMO  :bomb: .

Passing is tough at any track, I dont think this is any tougher to pass then MO, I think this track is easier to defend on the MO which could increase the difficulty of passing  :devil: .

In the vid I rarely see anyone purposfully stradling the gator curbs, this may be a way to drop those lap times  :laughing:

This track punishes impatience IMO much like the Old Pavement at Gingerman.

I had wanted to race there but did not want to race only 9-10 cars so I chose to go to the Sprints.  Was hopeing we would have some first time SM winners from the weekend at NCM and we did which is awesome!  :cheering:

And yes I agree with Todd, he did hit the wall!  :raincloud:

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

J. Mizer

J. Mizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:NeOhio
  • Car Number:23

I rarely left foot brake but found a couple places that made a difference in rotating the car while under power.  The track has sever places you can be at WOT to early but should not as it puts you off line and leads to a slower lap time and even a spin while leading the race :help:​ . 

I couldn't agree more.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I couldn't agree more.

Also 5th gear is a must right before t15 if you are not at rev limit before 15 you are not WOT early enough for 12...  I think the mistake might be at 11 trying to carry to much speed there, lenghten that straightaway by another 50-100' breath earlier at 11 so you can be to WOT earlier for 12

J.  Turn 5 and 16 you need to be at inside line of track more at apex on those corners that is where the grip is!

Fun watching the race!  

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

J. Mizer

J. Mizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:NeOhio
  • Car Number:23

Also 5th gear is a must right before t15 if you are not at rev limit before 15 you are not WOT early enough for 12...  I think the mistake might be at 11 trying to carry to much speed there, lenghten that straightaway by another 50-100' breath earlier at 11 so you can be to WOT earlier for 12

J.  Turn 5 and 16 you need to be at inside line of track more at apex on those corners that is where the grip is!

Fun watching the race!  

Thanks for the advice.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I never needed 5th, and if I got it just right (rarely, and only after watching Tom) didn't need to breath for 12, so either I'm really slow out of 10 or the combination of less power and a slightly higher rev limiter saves me a shift.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
For those watching Erik's video, keep in mind that was the first race Saturday when we were all still early in a very steep learning curve, and it was a mixed wet/dry track. So if you see a bunch of botched entries and missed apexes, that isn't representative of what the same two cars were doing a day later with a few extra sessions under their belts.

As for advice Erik, all I've got is, don't take up a different hobby just yet. :-)
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Steve and others if you have thoughts on the subject. In my limited experience playing with tire pressures, it is better to go out too high and then back down then to go out too low and try to find the right pressure. Seems like if I go out too low I may never build enough heat in the tires to make an educated guess on how much I should go up on the next session.

Well, I just admitted being clueless so keep that in mind, but I think you build more heat faster on lower pressure. But the main thing is probably knowing the range that works 90% of the time so if you are tempted to make a change outside of it the alarms sound and you consider heading the other direction. We felt that the tires were getting too hot and going slimy after mid-session, and the car never seemed to skate or dart the way I remember over-pressure 5s doing, so I added air to reduce heat. Then added more to get the balance closer to my liking. Bad idea, wrong direction. Took till Sunday afternoon to correct. Sorry Tom.

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

I never needed 5th, and if I got it just right (rarely, and only after watching Tom) didn't need to breath for 12, so either I'm really slow out of 10 or the combination of less power and a slightly higher rev limiter saves me a shift.

Hm. I didn't have to lift after exiting t10 until the entry of t15. It seemed like to me I would bounce off the rev limiter a couple times in 4th just before going uphill and hitting the brake zone. I brake with my left foot anytime I don't have to downshift so I didn't find a benefit of going to 5th. T10 was 40mph, top speed of 105, perhaps if it wasn't 95 degrees out 5th would work or maybe I need to hit t10 faster? Sunday's best lap is attached, which is about 1 second off the leaders for the weekend.

Attached Files

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

What year is your car?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

^

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
So in theory, at least as I recall (that should be in my signature line!!) your rev limiter kicks in about 200 RPM earlier. More like 140 from what I see on our cars, but perhaps enough to explain the difference. I'll see if we actually got any data from a decent lap and check the speed. (one of the frustrations of the weekend).

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Slow to find this thread.

Fun track. Fun weekend. Look forward to going back for another event. Thanks Steve for prepping the cars. Lesson learned on pressure for Hoosiers.

Zero tech after qualifying (not even weights).
And only a weight check after the races.
Normal for non-major events these days?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

From my experiences, YES for non Majors.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Hmmm. I don't expect (or want) invasive tech for regionals. But kinda seems like a bit more should be done, yes?

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Yes
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Let me think about that a bit more..............Yes
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

What's up with pit in ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

What's up with pit in ?
J~

What do you mean?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users