38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
Having a regional class for the 1.6'with the same rule set will leave you disappointed. Someone will bring out a top level prep car and crush everyone else. The only thing that would change is in a 1.6 only class it is guaranteed that an1.6 will win every race.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
Bench the 1.6 is 125 lbs lighter. Try putting a 125-150 slab of lead in a 1.6 and see how it drives then. We all known it has no torque that's why it's the lighest car in the class.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

Have you ever dyno'd a racing beat?  I think I have a few of those laying around.  Free to anyone who wants one :)

guys, all these ideas better be thoroughly tested on and off track.  Incomplete calculations and speculative analysis will NOT help.  But I can guarantee you 9.9 compression will...

put it on eBay.  You can get back almost as much as you paid for it.  I know I did, two generations of intake ago.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Having a regional class for the 1.6'with the same rule set will leave you disappointed. Someone will bring out a top level prep car and crush everyone else.

I'm trying to think who is still around in the Great Lakes that would do that.

So a 1.6 only class is out. Adjusting the 1.6 to be equally competitive is out (per Drago "bad for the class")

I guess it's off to Plan B: turn my 1.6 into a rat rod and buy a used streetstock to go bullring racing with. (per MPR "if you don't like the class then leave, you troll")

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Would you say he's had even better results with the NB car?

If you are looking at it objectively.. his results last year in his 99 were not that great.. This year with no girlfriend and actually doing alignment and prepping the car, he has done really well.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

So a 1.6 only class is out. Adjusting the 1.6 to be equally competitive is out (per Drago "bad for the class")

That is a stretch.. at least a big twist.. :)In case I wasn't clear on my position.

The 1.6 should be able to compete for wins at any race if built to the same level as the NB cars it is racing against, prepped and set up to the same level and driven at the same level.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

The east coast has a very successful 1.6 class only. You can approach your region to implement the same. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

If you are looking at it objectively.. his results last year in his 99 were not that great.. This year with no girlfriend and actually doing alignment and prepping the car, he has done really well.

Parity debate 1.6 vs 99

Girlfriend status is now fair game.

I think the groupies like the 99+ drivers better. Danny could do a photo essay on that I hope.
  • Danny Steyn likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I remember when the '99 was added because 3 shills wrote letters saying they didn't have a place to race their old SSB cars (or was it really because Mazda wanted the car in?).  In the shills' defense, I think 2 of them did actually race in SM.

So all we need are 3 guys to claim they'll come out and race their shelved 1.6s if they get a little rules welfare, right?  I vote for Andrew Caddell, Brad Rampelberg, and Blake Clements.  Oh wait, Blake is in an NB now?  OK, how about Niki Coello, then? 

(Apologize for the troll-y post ... it is meant for laughs and flashback purposes only!)

• Bruce Wilson, Jim Drago and Danny Steyn like this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

I think the groupies like the 99+ drivers better. Danny could do a photo essay on that I hope.          

Miata groupies have hairy legs (and chests).

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Parity debate 1.6 vs 99

Girlfriend status is now fair game.

Danny gets pictures.  I get the real deal.  #saveThePopups

• Danny Steyn likes this

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Miata groupies have hairy legs (and chests).

Your Ass.

steph.jpg

• Danny Steyn likes this

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

is it wrong to say..."schew!!!   Those are some niiiice popups?"

• Danny Steyn likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Hey Blake, ask her if she is a Miata groupie or a Miata racer.

is it wrong to say..."schew!!! Those are some niiiice popups?"

I think that's a question for your wife.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

As the NorthWest has said, compression!!! But no, per plenty of 99 plusers, the 1.6er's are cheap asses. The SMAC/CRB bought the cheap story and that's the end of more compression. What the smell do the 99 pluser's care if the 1.6er's are allowed more compression, other than some of the mid packer's would go further rearward. And when the car is an over dog take some weight off the 99 pluser's. WIN WIN, the 1.6er's are in the game and everyone races faster. I really don't see a negative for anyone, other than the site hits would really take a spiral downward.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

As the NorthWest has said, compression!!! But no, per plenty of 99 plusers, the 1.6er's are cheap asses. The SMAC/CRB bought the cheap story and that's the end of more compression. What the smell do the 99 pluser's care if the 1.6er's are allowed more compression, other than some of the mid packer's would go further rearward. And when the car is an over dog take some weight off the 99 pluser's. WIN WIN, the 1.6er's are in the game and everyone races faster. I really don't see a negative for anyone, other than the site hits would really take a spiral downward.

I think the SMAC is taking the correct approach, creep up on the solution (not that there is one short of swapping engines and suspension). It seems no matter what they do it is destined to be seen as not enough because the guys that aren't winning in the 1.6s today still won't win until the car has gone too far. The day that happens they will never win again because the fast guys will pull out a 1.6 and start winning again. Todd Buras driving style is pure 1.6, nobody may be able to beat him if the 1.6 becomes the COTY. Part of me hopes it happens, the 1.6 is that much more fun to drive!
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
And some SM drivers do have groupies that attractive and articulate. Some SM drivers have a better body style than others so that might be the next parity debate, why we all can't have groupies.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom OPM

Tom OPM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SE

Just a quick update. We have run out 1.6 in the last 2 SCCA events with what we had hopped the SMAC was going to recommend. Decent car not a over dog by any means. Now word is we will not be getting a header just a massaged manifold plus heat wrap on intake and marker light out. In my honest opinion its not enough.

On my dyno jet with header was 120/105. My dyno runs 2-3 low to Drago same car same conditions. We just swapped out massaged manifold with the header. 116-117/ 102-103  This will not cut it. They massaged manifold is only slightly better than stock which is what I would expect. We already had a decent manifold the the extra work was kinda useless.

The 1.6 guys need a header. If we think its too much add weight. Most cannot make the 2275lbs anyway so that does not help.

Write your letters. May be too late but who knows. The 1.6 cars are getting a really small bone thrown to them. They should not be happy. 

For reference really good 99 cars going to Daytona were 125-126/114-116 on this dyno. I know its 125lbs but.......

• Danny Steyn likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Just a quick update. We have run out 1.6 in the last 2 SCCA events with what we had hopped the SMAC was going to recommend. Decent car not a over dog by any means. Now word is we will not be getting a header just a massaged manifold plus heat wrap on intake and marker light out. In my honest opinion its not enough.

On my dyno jet with header was 120/105. My dyno runs 2-3 low to Drago same car same conditions. We just swapped out massaged manifold with the header. 116-117/ 102-103  This will not cut it. They massaged manifold is only slightly better than stock which is what I would expect. We already had a decent manifold the the extra work was kinda useless.

The 1.6 guys need a header. If we think its too much add weight. Most cannot make the 2275lbs anyway so that does not help.

Write your letters. May be too late but who knows. The 1.6 cars are getting a really small bone thrown to them. They should not be happy. 

For reference really good 99 cars going to Daytona were 125-126/114-116 on this dyno. I know its 125lbs but.......

Tom Bring that 1.6 with a  header to Mid O this weekend, we have a big contingent there and some good 1.6 cars coming. I will work it out with tech, no DQ

I will buy the beer.

Lets do a test where the runoffs will be next year.

• Danny Steyn likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom OPM

Tom OPM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SE

Tom Bring that 1.6 with a  header to Mid O this weekend, we have a big contingent there and some good 1.6 cars coming. I will work it out with tech, no DQ

I will buy the beer.

Lets do a test where the runoffs will be next year.

That sounds great and would love to but our regional championships are in Sav this wknd.

• FTodaro likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users