FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I had a few questions regarding the week, not specific to the Big show, (really more about the dry condition performance of the cars)

I saw in Hillie's posted video around 4:50 it looked like he was in to the rev limiter in 5th gear? In the dry obviously,did the cars generally hit the limiter or was it just on your best hot laps?

Also I hate to even ask this question, but how did the 1.6 do with the higher limiter, was it ever an advantage?

Any comments about the differences if any between the 99 and VVT?

We talked so much about it wondered what the experience was??

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I had a few questions regarding the week, not specific to the Big show, (really more about the dry condition performance of the cars)

I saw in Hillie's posted video around 4:50 it looked like he was in to the rev limiter in 5th gear? In the dry obviously,did the cars generally hit the limiter or was it just on your best hot laps?

Also I hate to even ask this question, but how did the 1.6 do with the higher limiter, was it ever an advantage?

Any comments about the differences if any between the 99 and VVT?

We talked so much about it wondered what the experience was??

Rev limiter was on good laps for the most part...
VVT was infield killer... but loses pretty bad just before nascar 4.. You need to be in front of a 99 which is weird.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73

Just watched the race video... Huge props to Alex and Cory! They drove the best race in the field from start to finish.. Had the race started on time???? I really feel horrible for Cory after watching that race. Nice job guys! Goring and Carbonell also huge props on dry tires in those conditions. Haldeman hanging around by himself and winning apparently :)! As many have said, congrats to the entire field! What an event!
Jim

My race was quite lonely. Sadly I didn't win regardless of how hard Dorsey tried too help😜
  • Cnj, Bench Racer, Jason J Ball and 7 others like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
ROFL
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
The race if you missed it on the other thread.

http://www.scca.com/videos/1972514

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Time for the thank yous and the apologies.

Thank you so much to Chris Haldeman of X-Factor Racing for putting a great car under me week after week.  Thank you to Pat and Karen Ross the greatest parents ever for supporting me in the absurdly expensive hobby.  It was great to have both of you at the races this last week.  Thank you to my wife and family for letting me go play even though you all stayed home and worked hard for my benefit.  

It was both a great and horrible 9 days away from my family.  The Run-offs are just too long and expensive for anyone but the truly well off to justify.  I will need an accountant to do the final tally but I am sure I am well into 5 digit territory.  Airfare, towing, gasoline, 4 sets of tires, spare engine, consumables, 9 nights of room and food.  7 days of lost income, i get paid by the hour so it is a real cost.  They could boil this thing down into 4 days by splitting it up into 1 practice, 2 quals and 1 race.   They have too much down time for too many competitors trying to have so many qual sessions.  

Now for the apologies.  Sorry to Max Nufer for turning into you in qual 3, glad to see you got the fender and bumper cover banged banged back out.  You raced great, cant wait to see how fast you are in season 2.  What a great family!

After watching the SCCA video I nearly wanted to cry for my friend and team mate Chris Haldeman.  He was left on an island to fight for himself and he did incredible. I wasn't there to help as I was suppose to be.  Day one I didn't drive well and didn't get a good qual time.  Chris spent the next 2 qual sessions trying to get me up with him but we were skunked by lappers or traffic on each of the next two sessions.  If you haven't been to Daytona it is hard to explain how great you can drive and get a poor time and how sloppy you can drive and by getting just the right tow/push from 6 to start finish end up with a great time.  Blake and Chris went out in qual 4 together and both improved their times, I did as well but again I couldn't find the right combination of tow and push.  

Chris has worked so hard getting our cars ready for this race, he had to repair mine after both of the preceding races from some unfortunate crashes.  He had his engine in and out of his car 3 times in 3 days leading up to the race with a sticky oil pump plunger issue.  Nobody works harder, he is one of the few in our class that does all of his own work and would put a better engine in a customers car than his own if he couldn't make them equal.  I truly regret not being there for you on Friday buddy.  I will get back behind the wheel and see what i can do to be a better team mate in the future.  

What a crazy season, we went to 4 Majors, 1 NASA Nationals and 1 SCCA Run-offs.  

NOLA Qual P9, P10        

Road Atlanta Qual P2, P4

TWS Qual  P4, P13

Kansas Qual P1, P2

NASA Nationals Qual P1, P4

SCCA Run Offs Qual P10, P25

NOLA Chris P2, MPR DNF wrecked out lap 1 

NOLA Chris P9, MPR P8  we both lost had cars that barely finished we lost a fuel pressure one to a pump and one to a loose tank baffle. 

Road Atlanta  MPR P4, Chris P8

Road Atlanta  MPR p7, Chris DNF mechanical, 

TWS Chris P4 MPR DNF money shift 

TWS MPR  P1 from last Chris DNS gave me his car

Kansas Chris, P1, MPR P2

Kansas Chris P2, MPR P3    MPR snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

NASA Nationals   Chris punted lap 3, MPR DNF damn hog pen,

SCCA Run-offs  Chris P5, MPR P17.  

What an up and down season.  Chris spent half the year chasing a problem in his car that came from the wreck in turn 1 at NOLA.  Ball joint was damaged and created a dynamic toe in situation, found it after TWS or I think he would have been on the podium at RA and TWS.  

Our cars are sorted and fast and I for one look forward to racing again and getting back to the podium.  

• Mike Collins, john mueller, Mark and 4 others like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

TractionControl

TractionControl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
And to your complaint Drago. Had the race started on time Andrew Carbonell and Selin Rollan would have gone out on rains, as it was still slightly raining. Wonder how different it would have turned out if they went on rains anyways... Would the top 7 cars have been able to hold off the dry tires... Wish I could replay this in multiple different ways. Come on Iracing.... Let's get this simulated.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

And to your complaint Drago. Had the race started on time Andrew Carbonell and Selin Rollan would have gone out on rains, as it was still slightly raining. Wonder how different it would have turned out if they went on rains anyways... Would the top 7 cars have been able to hold off the dry tires... Wish I could replay this in multiple different ways. Come on Iracing.... Let's get this simulated.

My complaint was not directed at any competitors .. Just the time was posted and would have taken lots of the decisions out of the equation. Would have been a better race if all were on wets or all on dries anyway.
  • True North likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

rx555

rx555

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Car Year:1982
  • Car Number:37

Found a great photo of the start.

scca-runoffs-2015-todd-lamb-andrew-carbo

• True North likes this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

My complaint was not directed at any competitors .. Just the time was posted and would have taken lots of the decisions out of the equation. Would have been a better race if all were on wets or all on dries anyway.

Are you counting Lam...sheep in your sleep?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I'll be damned if that ^ doesn't sound like a 99 plus guy wants PARITY.  :rotfl:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I'll be damned if that ^ doesn't sound like a 99 plus guy wants PARITY.  :rotfl:

With the exception of the winner I think we all wanted a do over.  At a minimum we had such a good time we all wanted to have at again the next day.  Sucks you only get one shot at the glory after spending 7-8 days at the track.

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

With the exception of the winner I think we all wanted a do over.  At a minimum we had such a good time we all wanted to have at again the next day.  Sucks you only get one shot at the glory after spending 7-8 days at the track.

At least I am not the only one.......

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

nothing new.. have always wanted parity.. BTW .. I was a VVT guy, not a 99 :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

BTW .. I was a VVT guy, not a 99 :)

Please re-read, I said "99 plus guy", meaning 1999 through 2005, never know how many cars the pointy end guys have in the stable.

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

sentercut

sentercut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:55

Anyone have any in car video to share. would love to see some from any positions.

Senter Smith

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

2015 Runoffs Spec Miata meeting, comments?

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Mobil 1 The Grid will be airing its coverage of the 2015 SCCA Runoffs Presented by Garmin VIRB from Daytona International Speedway on Sunday, October 11th at 5 pm (EDT) on CBS Sports Network.

Featured drivers include Joseph Burton-Harris, Andrew Carbonell, Jason Generotti, Laura Hayes, John Heinricy, and Max Mallinen. If you’ve been around the National Club Racing scene, you’ll probably recognize a few of the drivers! Whether you were at the Runoffs or watched from afar, you’re going to want to see this international coverage of one of SCCA’s marque national events.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Dear Spec Miata Stakeholders:

I wanted to provide a synopsis of the 2015 SCCA National Championship Runoffs® Presented by Garmin VIRB, held Sept. 21-27 at Daytona Int'l Speedway. The championship event featured a 62-car Spec Miata field, which was the focus of Friday Night Lights at the Runoffs, Presented by Mazda.

Before I get into the event technical compliance, I wanted to personally congratulate everyone that was involved in the historic running of the first SCCA National Championship race held after dark. I know there were a lot of nerves as the rain fell prior to the race, but the drivers did a fantastic job with an incredibly clean race. It was a wonderful showcase, not just for the Spec Miata community, but for Mazda, Hoosier and the SCCA as an entire organization. In all of my years of attending SCCA events, that was one of, if not the, biggest highlight and unifying moment. Kudos and thanks to all those that were involved!

Now on to tech...

We have sent synopses of the Class Compliance Chief visits from other events, and wanted to provide a recap of the tech procedures from the 2015 Runoffs.

The following is a list of items that were checked during qualifying:
-Tires
-Hardtop installations
-Mirrors
-Wipers
-Bumpers and body gaps
-Window nets
-Intake restrictors
-Stall tests
-Exhaust wraps
-Under chassis additions and modifications
-Shocks
-Heads and transmission seals
-Driveshafts
-Flywheels

Through four days of qualifying, two cars had times disallowed for one session for the following reasons, respectively:
-Missing hardware securing the hardtop
-Weight

Following the race, the following items were on the inspection list:
-Crankshaft
-Engine internals
-Cylinder head inspection
-Compression
-Bore and Stroke
-Transmission gears
-Rear axle gears
-Flywheel
-Camshafts
-Shocks
-Restrictors
-Stall test
-Wheel bearings

Findings:
-One car was disqualified for unshrouding in the combustion chamber beyond the maximum allowed specification on two valves. The cylinder head was retained by SCCA and will be disposed.

Following the race, the first-place car was initially believed to be out of compliance for compression ratio. The decision was protested, and during the protest process, an erroneous measurement was discovered as part of the compression ratio calculation. With the proper measurement, the car was deemed compliant.

SCCA wishes to apologize to Jonathan Goring and the entire #118 team, including Rossini Racing, for having to endure what was no doubt an unpleasant time because of the error. In the end, the correct decision was rendered and Jonathan was crowned as the deserving National Champion.

SCCA has already taken steps to ensure that this error does not occur again. There was a human error in the measurement. As a result of this situation, we are developing a check system to alert anyone calculating compression ratio of any individual measurements that are out of the expected, or compliant, value range.

I again congratulate everyone on the excellent showing at the SCCA National Championship Runoffs and the 2015 season. I look forward to seeing you at a race sometime soon!

Best regards,
Eric Prill
SCCA VP and COO

• MPR22, 38bfast, mhiggins10 and 2 others like this

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

A long time coming but glad to see that this official SCCA apology to the Goring family and Mike Rossini was finally made. Would have been better if it came from the desk of Lisa Noble.

As a personal friend of Mike's I know all too well the hell he went through during this time. Congrats again to Jonathan Goring for an amazing drive on slick tires in seriously wet conditions, and to Mike Rossini, one of the really good guys in Spec Miata.

• MPR22, Jim Drago, Joe Benton and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users