Photo

Hoosier Tires, 195/50-15 poll

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

Poll: Hoosier Tires, 195/50-15 poll (95 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support a change to a 195/50-15 size tire of the same brand and model?

1. Yes (56 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. Voted No (40 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Do you feel this change would reduce wear and tear on suspension components?

1. Yes (63 votes [66.32%])

Percentage of vote: 66.32%

2. Voted No (32 votes [33.68%])

Percentage of vote: 33.68%

Do you feel this change would improve parity among the different model year cars?

1. Yes (30 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

2. Voted No (65 votes [68.42%])

Percentage of vote: 68.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

SM7's are awesome. SM6's were the most expensive tire ever! Just wish the H2O's were a lot harder so they wouldnt wear out after one session. They do make everyone feel like GOD in the rain, but do we really need a 1 session rain tire. For that reason ONLY I miss the RA1's. However I really haated having to shave tires to different depths on the RA1's. RR's are not too bad either.

Hoosier has been very accommodating to the SM community, has been for years. Perhaps it would be worth while to voice our concerns and when the contract comes up for renewal we could ask for a harder compound? They may be receptive.

The reason the Hoosier rain performs as it does is it is designed to win races against other tires, it does that remarkably well, as all of us can attest to. It is an awesome rain tire.
  • True North likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I'd rather spend a little more on a good rain tire and bring the car home in one piece than have a hard tire where the likelihood of an accident goes up...

• True North, MPR22, Jim Drago and 2 others like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I'd rather spend a little more on a good rain tire and bring the car home in one piece than have a hard tire where the likelihood of an accident goes up...

The other way to look at it is that you will always take them to the limit so the "better" tire just puts you into the wall at a higher speed. But I take your point.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Hoosier has been very accommodating to the SM community, has been for years. Perhaps it would be worth while to voice our concerns and when the contract comes up for renewal we could ask for a harder compound? They may be receptive.

The reason the Hoosier rain performs as it does is it is designed to win races against other tires, it does that remarkably well, as all of us can attest to. It is an awesome rain tire.

I believe that originally the SM tire was identical to the standard R5, R6 etc. Is that still true? Is there any doubt? If it is true then the same applies to it as to the rains, and makes it less likely that they would entertain creating a different tire for us. Greater volume than the rains, but worth the cost? On the other hand, quite a few people outside SM buy the SM branded tire because it costs less, so creating a "slower" tire for us might reduce that and at the same time attract new customers looking for longer life at a slight performance cost. Hard to say how it would work out.
  • Killian likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Yes. More than once I've been glad H was at the track to assist and sell. Makes sense to at least have a discussion with them.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

The other way to look at it is that you will always take them to the limit so the "better" tire just puts you into the wall at a higher speed. But I take your point.

I have to completely disagree there.  The better tire also has better break-away and hook-up characteristics.

I think the reason most people feel like a god driving new H20s is not just how fast you can go before they break loose, but also how well they handle once you do get them past the limit.  They don't break away dramatically and when new they have an impressive ability to hook up again.   After nearly crapping your pants once or twice it's awe inspiring how well they handle while sliding around.  At first at least.  Once they've worn a bit they're still grippier than an RA1 but not the same tire.

• Steve Scheifler likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I was half kidding, but only half because my brain would still be thinking that way no matter how good they are. I really have no experience with them because SM was still on Toyos when we stopped racing. So I look forward to the chance to try them and also dread the expense. What do you think is responsible for the decline in wet grip? Does it happen even if they are run only when it is really wet and the never get hot? Is it a case of knocking the edges off, and has anyone tried a very light shave to square then back up?

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

I think it's from when they get too hot.  It's a really soft compound.  My educated guess is that too much heat cures and hardens the rubber effectively making it a different spring rate. 

If you can only run them when it's really wet, you're golden.  If it's patchy or starts drying during the session, they'll wear very quickly and they're never quite the same.  It's definitely not a squareing the tire issue.  They'll heat up and wear faster in the middle.  The problem is that there are so few full on rain days that you'll never wear out the tire before they get old, and those intermediate days will quickly turn an amazing rain tire into just a really good rain tire.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Doesnt matter how soft or hard the rain tire is, we are going to take it to the limit of adhesion. The harder rain tire breaks away at slower speeds, and last longer. The softer rain tire breaks away at higher speeds and only provides ONE session where it is at its optimum.

I destroyed two (2) sets of rain tires at the ARRC. A 1HC  set that I ran in three test sessions that was done after T1, but I didnt want to waste  anew set or rain tires on on test day. So I bought a  brand new set that I ran for three laps in the ARRC Q1 session, and put it away, but the the edges were completely gone. If all the fast guys had signed up for the CCPS I would have had to buy a 3rd set. But I ran the 2HC set the 20 lap CCCPS. Now both sets are completely worthless, even as intermediate tires. Almsot $1600 in rain tires in one weekend. The H2O is the MOST EXPENSIVE TIRE WE HAVE EVER USED - way more expensive than the SM6's but because we dont normally run in the rain every weekend you dont notice it as much.

So now I have to buy two more sets for the next race, just in case we have a weekend where it rains before the main event. Because, if you dont go out on new H2O's for the main event you are giving up several seconds per lap.

Unlike Mike Collins, I would MUCH prefer a harder compound that gave us more racing life, even if it was a much slower rain tire. What other classes do with our tire should not influence what we seek for in our rain tire. I have no doubt that SM buys more Hoosier rain tires in SCCA and NASA than all the other classes combined. 

HOWEVER the RA1 that is a skittish-as-hell rain tire, will last an entire season and a brand new set is only marginally faster than a year old several HC session set, even if it is a year or more old!

• steveracer likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:56

Having done multiple tire test for different manufacturers, Hoosier, Hankook and Toyo they will tell you the same thing. The reason for the slick with no groves is because of tread squirm and diamonding of each tread block. Look at the one line in the Hoosier, rubber rolls over and diamonds.

The H20 is so soft, the tread squirm diamonds off each of the contact patches giving it less grip. The point is, if one were to shave H20s after they are run, they would have close to the same properties as new.

A shaved H20 performs really well, just try it.

Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Having done multiple tire test for different manufacturers, Hoosier, Hankook and Toyo they will tell you the same thing. The reason for the slick with no groves is because of tread squirm and diamonding of each tread block. Look at the one line in the Hoosier, rubber rolls over and diamonds.

The H20 is so soft, the tread squirm diamonds off each of the contact patches giving it less grip. The point is, if one were to shave H20s after they are run, they would have close to the same properties as new.

A shaved H20 performs really well, just try it.

I have a few friends who like to take their used rains an run a few dry laps on them to clean them up. would that work like tire shaving or just add to the problem?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:56

Add to the problem.

Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

The H20 will eventually break loose but it also will recover the grip much faster than the RA1.  I don't care what rain tire I run but the majority of the class would be safer and more racy on the H20.  That was not the intent of this survey.  

I have not had significant mechanical failures over the last two years, gone down quite a bit with the SM7 from the SM6.  Do i think the reduction in tire width will help, maybe a little not enough to warrant the pain of changing tires again. I would love to race Toyo RR's only but I will race anything.  The pointy end can race any tire.  What is best for the class? Cheaper would be better i assume.  So if the 195 is significantly cheaper than that is an option I would be willing to get behind.  If it is the same or -5% not really a needle mover. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
I like the SM7, and dont know of a good reason to change anything about it. The H20, as we all know is an awesome tire, the sidewall is so soft, it gives incredible feel and grip in the wet. Personally I do think it evens the playing field, compared to advantages I thought I had with the Toyo in the rain. That being said, I do think the H20 increases the odds of bringing the car back in one pc.
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

If i was asked. I would prefer to stay with the current wet and dry tires. No change needed.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

If i was asked. I would prefer to stay with the current wet and dry tires. No change needed.

Totally AGREE!

K. Webb