38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
Not very timely advice sorry. When I am taking out a engine for rebuild I will spray some water in the intake track while it's running. Generaly about 3000 RPMs. That cleans lots of the carbon out of the combustion chambers. Saves later work cleaning parts up.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

Not very timely advice sorry. When I am taking out a engine for rebuild I will spray some water in the intake track while it's running. Generaly about 3000 RPMs. That cleans lots of the carbon out of the combustion chambers. Saves later work cleaning parts up.

Noted for next time, thanks!

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

I've mentioned already my lap simulation program that I wrote, and figured I'd do a little explanation of what it is and how it works. 

Basically, it takes all of the important macro level vehicle characteristics, such as a power curve, mass, aero drag and lift coefficients, transmission ratios, driver shift times, lateral and longitudinal grip capability, etc, and then models that vehicle driving around a track.  This is not a driving line optimization software though, one of the inputs is the driving path, derived from real GPS data. 

The lap simulator is very accurate at simulating the following variables effect on lap time:

-Engine power and power curve shapes

-Transmission and final drive ratios

-What gear to use where on the track for optimum pull off the corner and minimum lap time

-Vehicle mass and how it affects acceleration

-Comparing various vehicle configurations to determine where on track each has an advantage, to determine which will be easier to race

It's good at the following assuming that you have valid input data:

-Effect of aero - drag, downforce etc (if you have good aero coefficient data)

-Effect of mass on cornering and lap time (if you have reasonable tire load sensitivity data)

It doesn't do the following:

-Driving line optimization

-Setup changes - this is not 4-tire model and does not incorporate suspension kinematics

Here's an example.  I downloaded data of an FRS driven at VIR by Mike Skeen.  I then looked up FRS data on the internet, such as trans ratios, a dyno plot, final drive ratio and tire size, and factory specified drag coefficient, etc.  The red trace is the actual GPS speed trace of Mike's lap, the blue trace is the simulated lap.  As you can see, it's very accurate!  I did not spend time 'tuning' the model to match perfect, just a slight power scaler to match the top speed (dyno data isn't always real wheel power, especially dynojet data) and scaled the lat and long acceleration so that corner speeds matched.  Bam, that's it. 

Anyway, enjoy.  If you have some basic physics knowledge and can learn simple coding, I'm sure you could make your own simulator.  Both the knowledge gained by taking the time to build the simulator and the insight the simulation results provide are very worthwhile.  Granted, this isn't something you'll be able to create in a weekend.  This is a project that was added to slowly over several years.  Actually, it started with just a straight line acceleration model, which is much easier.

Speed%20vs%20distance.png

Code%20Data%20Inputs.PNG

Output.PNG

g-g%20plot.png

gear%20and%20rpm.png

lateral%20g%20force.png

longitudinal%20g%20force.png

path%20curviture.png

track%20path.png

wheel%20power.png

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Question - has anyone ever seen this orange stuff on the brake master cylinder and prop valve fittings?  It's pretty thick.  I haven't seen this on any of my other miatas that I have owned. 

Sorry, bad photo.

Screenshot%20%28Dec%2015,%202015%2011_03

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

It looks like old red RTV.  Does it peel off like RTV?

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

It looks like old red RTV.  Does it peel off like RTV?

I apologize for the crappy photo.  It's much more brittle than RTV, crumbles and breaks up very easily between your fingers when you break a chunk off.

I thought maybe the booster/master had been replaced, but careful inspection of the line fittings suggests that no line wrench has ever been used on them - no witness marks. 

Better pic coming shortly

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Also, that piece that is located between the front and rear output lines of the proportioning valve (left of the "F" and right of the arrow) used to be bigger.  It was similar to a rubber band that was wrapped all the way around the prop valve.  It broke off though when I touched it, back when I first bought the car. 

IMAG0988.jpg

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Removing wiring harnesses is fun!!!  ...said no one ever. 

IMAG0991.jpg

IMAG0990.jpg

IMAG0992.jpg

IMAG0989.jpg

IMAG0993.jpg

Picked up the cage metal last week.  80 feet of 1 1/2" x 0.095" DOM mild steel was $257.  1/8" flat stock in 3" and 5" widths was $37, and 3'x4' of some polished aluminum tread plate for use later to make the floor pans look nice was $33

IMAG0994.jpg

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

A guy that knows what he's doing with a flare nut wrench can get the fittings off and not leave any marks.  Most of the nut rounding is from people gorilla gripping them instead of using the right tool.

That sealant that's on your brake system didn't come from the factory like that even if no one has cracked the nuts.  Maybe the last guy thought he had a leak.  I replace the entire brake system (except for the main hard lines, those get cleaned) when I've built production based race cars.  It's good, cheap insurance.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

That sealant that's on your brake system didn't come from the factory like that even if no one has cracked the nuts.  Maybe the last guy thought he had a leak.  I replace the entire brake system (except for the main hard lines, those get cleaned) when I've built production based race cars.  It's good, cheap insurance.

My car has the orange paint around the master cyl. & proportioning valve fittings, though less heavy than pictured here. I bought my car new in the fall of '98, it came that way. 

• Killian likes this

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

My car has the orange paint around the master cyl. & proportioning valve fittings, though less heavy than pictured here. I bought my car new in the fall of '98, it came that way. 

Interesting!  Thanks for sharing.  Makes me less concerned that the system has been messed with knowing that it likely came from the factory like that.  Wish we knew why Mazda put the orange paint on there...

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

What is that chunk of orange between the top outlet portions of proportioning valve?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:Cen-Div
  • Car Number:67

Every 99 and up I've built had that thick orange zip tie looking piece by or near the proportion valve that Bench referred to. I also wondered many time what it was but just figured it was something used on the production line. I have not seen the rtv looking stuff near the lines before.

• speedengineer likes this

Nic Piekarski

My 99 Spec Miata makes great torque under 5,500 RPM!!!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Every 99 and up I've built had that thick orange zip tie looking piece by or near the proportion valve that Bench referred to. I also wondered many time what it was but just figured it was something used on the production line. I have not seen the rtv looking stuff near the lines before.

You guys didn't remove that thing did you?????!!!!!!! If it doesn't say you can. :)

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

have seen the orange stuff on quite a few but not every car, no idea why but its not out of the norm.

K. Webb