17 replies to this topic

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car Year:1990

Hey All, 

Donor car we've been working on came with a wiring harness and ECU from a 91 automatic, we jumped the auto trans connector to the neutral switch so the car would start.  

I am under the impression that the automatic ECU's are detuned a bit.  Is this correct?  Am I loosing ~10hp just from the ECU?  I need to straighten this out before I take it back to the dyno.  

Also, I have found an ECU on Ebay that was out of a Mazda Eunos Roadster MX-5?? I imagine this is the JDM version of the Miata? 

I am aware that in SM we are only allowed to use parts that came on the Miata that was sold in USDM; however just out of professional curiosity, will that ECU have different tuning parameters that could possibly make more power due to minimal smog regulations in Japan?

Finally,  I see on Ebay that the USDM Manual Transmission ECU's mostly have this part number:  B61P18881B

Are there different part numbers for the 90-93 ECU's that came with a 5 spd,  or am I good with any ECU with this matching Part Number?

Thanks, 

-Z

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

the auto is: B64J18881

the manual is  B61P18881

The automatic computer was  known cheat back in the day as it offered a flatter a:f curve than the manual.  If you tune the manual correctly I feel it is better than the auto computer. 

The auto cars have a TPS sensor that the manual cars do not. many use the auto THB for use with data and use that TPS sensor for data input

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Sorry,  

What do you mean by THB? 

Also, Drago, I'm very curious as to why you feel the Manual ECU is better?

-Z

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Sorry,  

What do you mean by THB? 

Also, Drago, I'm very curious as to why you feel the Manual ECU is better?

-Z

thb is throttle body...

No opinion as to why.. just results from testing..  the auto ECU gives you a really nice looking a:f curve, but the manual always seem to make the same or better power when I tested and it was compliant to the rule. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I updated it.
http://mazdaracers.c...ek-bread/page-1

FYI, there's federal and CA (smog) versions too, and yes he's tested all of them.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Is there a certain part number for CA (smog) ECU's that I should avoid? 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Is there a certain part number for CA (smog) ECU's that I should avoid?

You should run the one posted above..

avoid the 93 Ca emissions, it is 93 ca emissions only
B6AW18881

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Thanks Drago, 

Appreciate the dimes of wisdom and quick responses.  

-Z

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

We recently tested this one in a customer car.  Not sure of the part number, but it seemed to make for a nice gain in the 7200 - 8300 RPM range over the B61P ecu.

2m2ul5l.jpg

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Number:29

Always glad to see you joking about cheating Dan!

• Sean - MiataCage likes this
You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

We recently tested this one in a customer car.  Not sure of the part number, but it seemed to make for a nice gain in the 7200 - 8300 RPM range over the B61P ecu.

2m2ul5l.jpg

dam, that has my car number on it, I thought I got rid of that thing  :) 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

Always glad to see you joking about cheating Dan!

C'mon... lighten up.  You don't find even a little bit of humor when a customer brings in a car that has an ECU labeled like that, which in a 1.6 car is right in plane sight on the floor?   Customer bought the car 2nd hand, and brought it to us because his said his "rev limiter was broken".  He left with a B61P, which actually made more power.  Well, up to 7200, it did ;)

• Waterboy, Caveman-kwebb99 and Jim Drago like this

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

At least he wrote on the bottom side of the ECU. Car probably had cams and compression too. Back in 2003, invasive tech was checking your socks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Steve Scheifler likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
^ !!!
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Number:29

I personally believe it is in poor taste coming from you.  But I understand why you would want to change the culture.

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

2m2ul5l.jpg

That's a Canadian unit.  With the exchange rate you get 8300+ RPM.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Its probably because a full rotation in Canada is actually 400 degrees rather than 360.  So with the conversion factor on the USDM tach's it just reads 8300, but its actually still 7,000.

:spin:

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I want a 7000*k* Rev limit!

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NA, ECU, JDM, USDM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users