B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
What are your thoughts on the petty bar ?
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

Drago pointed out another good one to me today. Don't skimp on the base car. We have both seen cars that were not worthy candidates to start with. Its the base of what you are investing all your money on. Make sure its a worthy candidate. Rusted out POS is NOT a worthy candidate. 

• dstevens and Keith Novak like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

I have mixed emotions on Petty bars. Yes they do add rigidity and strength. But it as well does make egress out the passenger side of the car much more difficult. It also makes the car a PINA to work on. Added weight is also another concern. Over all, balancing all the pros and cons I lean more to without by a slim margin. 

• Danny Steyn likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

HT brackets attached to the cage weren't legal until recently. 2014 ? A welcome change for sure...

A more inclusive cage would have the front upper hard top mounts incorporated in it. Elimination the need for the front upper brackets. Standard practice at our shop. Too dam old for the yoga. 

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Never skimp on good beer.

This is true on so many levels.

If i understand this question it is what you can skimp on not what you should not skimp on. or maybe not, but I will work this angle?

IMO

Its ok to skimp on

1. the high test gas you run. i know you all have your favorites, but show me the dyno data in gains on one brand over the other.

2. Plug wires show me the data they are all so close its noise

3. Spark plugs same deal just keep them somewhat fresh.

4. Oil, I run 4 dollar a qt Brad Penn racing oil do not need to spend 8 dollars a qt.

5. shocks, in the context that they do not have to be replaced yearly, my guess is short of some big offs or lots of gators you can get 4 or  more years, unless they leak.

6. Graphics, it looks nice but not necessary to spend so much money on looks.

7. cool suits, yes this is somewhat dependent on what part of the country you race but i have gone 3 years with not wearing one. Yes i have one, and i could have but I wanted to Man up and not be dependent on it. I have had them fail and it was a bigger distraction then not wearing one. Agree that if i raced in the south it may be different.

Things that you should NOT skimp on, this is always a compromise with your budget.

Its easy to say never compromise safety but there are several good choices with big cost swings, but by the best your budget will allow.

this goes for tires also. tires may be the biggest variable in this costly hobby. If i never had to drive on tires older than 4 sessions i am sure i would have better results. But less is more.

The list goes on, Ralph did you mention wiring?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
Frank I have the utmost confediance that the wiring in your new car will be stellar. ;)
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Surprisingly many people don't replace heater cores when doing the cage, because you're NEVER going to need that defroster, are you?

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

Number one item on my list of cost savings..................

Pro Motor.  For a few reasons,such as:

If the donor car has been maintained and in relatively good mechanical condition  I check out the state of health of the engine.and if the leakdown is low and compression is good and dyno results are respectable  then I feel why spend money needlessly.I just service with new timing belt,water pump,plugs,wires etc.. If I have no delusions/aspirations of running for a nation championship or SCCA Majors, I feel at clubman level, there is more to be gained by working on the loose nut behind the steering wheel . I spent around $7k building the big block that powers my vintage circle track car that makes 600HP, so I find it difficult to justify spending near that for claims of 130HP to chase plastic trophies.  

• Alberto likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I spent around $7k building the big block that powers my vintage circle track car that makes 600HP, so I find it difficult to justify spending near that for claims of 130HP to chase plastic trophies. 

Perspective: In quarter midget racing it's common to spend $4,000 on a glorified lawnmower engine that will grenade at any moment. I guess it's all relative.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Number one item on my list of cost savings..................

Pro Motor.  For a few reasons,such as:

If the donor car has been maintained and in relatively good mechanical condition  I check out the state of health of the engine.and if the leakdown is low and compression is good and dyno results are respectable  then I feel why spend money needlessly.I just service with new timing belt,water pump,plugs,wires etc.. If I have no delusions/aspirations of running for a nation championship or SCCA Majors, I feel at clubman level, there is more to be gained by working on the loose nut behind the steering wheel . I spent around $7k building the big block that powers my vintage circle track car that makes 600HP, so I find it difficult to justify spending near that for claims of 130HP to chase plastic trophies.  

Dave, do the vintage circle track folks award metal trophies?   :spin:

• bbursey likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Dave, do the vintage circle track folks award metal trophies?   :spin:

They don't even issue plastic ones when you don't race it...BAM  :burst:.

Dave NEEDS to get his racing license next year and start his trophy quest. In NASA NE the trophies are solid gold forged in the furnaces of Mordor.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

The Garden State Vintage Stockcar Clubs's on track sessions are officially listed as "exhibitions" no competition for two reasons.1. It avoids some of the red tape with the State Police with regards to safety equipment,on track procedure,etc and 2. It avoids anyone getting "Red Mist" and wrecking or creating havoc in the quest for a plastic trophy.

Walter, yes totally a perspective issue. My buddy spends $35-40k on a race engine for his big block modified in attempt to win a feature that pays $2k to win!!

My feelings are that we are at the track to break away from our day to day worlds and have fun with friends playing with our toys. I get the feeling that some think they are racing Formula 1 high strung machines as opposed to the girls cars that they really are.  

Paul, That's get my racing license back to active status, I still have it, I just need to get the medical and eye forms filled out. I am just avoiding/procrastinating going for my over 40 checkup!!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I get the feeling that some think they are racing Formula 1 high strung machines as opposed to the girls cars that they really are.

You haven't lived until you've witnessed a NASCAR worthy transporter unload one little quarter midget, also occasionally occurs in SM. Pretty sure you can skimp on that.

Over 40 checkup? Not something to skimp or avoid. Every disease is infinitely more treatable/survivable when detected at an early stage.

• Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

You haven't lived until you've witnessed a NASCAR worthy transporter unload one little quarter midget, also occasionally occurs in SM. Pretty sure you can skimp on that.

Over 40 checkup? Not something to skimp or avoid. Every disease is infinitely more treatable/survivable when detected at an early stage.

Better yet when you see one unload a street car for a DE event.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

Perspective: New 360 Sprint car engine $29,000.00 New 410 Sprint Car engine $42,000. Freshen after every season $6500.00. Value after running one season and just rebuilt? $15,000.

Moderate flip on a half mile? $6500 (Eldora)

New RR tire every night $210

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

Lather, rinse, repeat...never skimp on "repeat".

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

You can definitely skimp on the Titanium fasteners.  Saw a SM for sale last week, "lots of Ti bolts to reduce unsprung weight".  For us mortals, that is money better spent on fresh rubber.

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Where would you use Ti bolts that would be unsprung?  This makes no sense, in a number of ways.

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

glad this thread has two pages so far....never thought it would gain much traction, thanks to Johnny D for starting it.

i second Ralph's thoughts on cages.  every single year i come across multiple cars with total shit cages.  welds that purely are garbage and poor layout with interior room compromised.

for those of you looking at the used market for a SM.  spend the time and $$$$ to at least have someone look over the car that knows what they're doing before buying it.  that doesn't mean your buddy that runs the class, i'm talking about someone whose built multiple SM's for several years and makes a living doing that.

every year we get cars dropped off and sometimes after the updates/repairs are done, the buyer should have had a brand new car built for them.

worse yet, after finding undisclosed damage and horrible workmanship, we've re-tubbed two cars this year alone for customers.

be careful out there....

• Johnny D likes this

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

Where would you use Ti bolts that would be unsprung?  This makes no sense, in a number of ways.

You are right, it makes no sense, but it makes no sense to most of us in a manner quite different than how it makes no sense to you.  (and to very few really fast and talented drivers, it actually makes quite a bit of sense)

In a ground vehicle with a suspension, theunsprung weight (or the unsprung mass) is the mass of the suspension, wheels or tracks (as applicable), and other components directly connected to them, rather than supported by the suspension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users