48 replies to this topic

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I did some quick math when I priced the Drop Plate. If I sell 20 pieces it covers the time and materials to design and build the prototypes. On #21 I start making real profit. My guess is about 30 per year. So after a year and thousands of dollars invested, I have less than $1000 in my pocket.

I'd be better off flipping burgers at McyDees for $15 an hour. But that is a totally different arguement.

Doing the first one would be a 5 hour addition to a cage build. Should be faster the second time around. Doing a retrofit to an existing racecar would be even more fab time.

A year and thousands of dollars to make a box for the floor of a Miata?   :wacko:

Three years ago we started a small batch manufacturing business making DIY 3D printer chassis/frame kits and full machines  (one of the reasons I haven't been around here).  We've sold about 5000 kits.  Not big but enough to keep two people employed full time and make some money.  At this point I have logged hundreds of hours 2D cutting.  Waterjet, laser, plasma table and CNC routing.  I run about 600 parts a week in house right now, half of them CO2 laser cut.   

I don't mean to be a ball buster particularly just coming back but if that part can't be made even in 20 batch at $250 retail that's a problem with the process, not the value of the part.  There is narrow market value in the part but to claim near poverty on a bent metal box is stretching it a bit.  I didn't want to show the math because everyone's cost structure is different and I didn't want people to get the feeling they were being fleeced.  A $250 street price is right about what the pain threshold is going to be for most.  My numbers are from the same models we use in like fabrication methods.

My costs...

$17.71/part based on 40" x 30" nesting footprint.  That's retail on the steel, delivered.  Enough material for a 20 run batch drops it to around $14.

$12 cost of cutting, padded the hell out of it, Torchmate 2/Cutmaster A80 200 ipm @30 amps, consumables, contribution toward the machine lease, real estate in the shop, power and labor (labor @ 18/hr billed at $25 to cover costs)

$12.50 bending based on $25/hr (which is padded quite a bit because if it took someone 30 mins to hand bend that they'd need a new gig...)

That's a COGS of about $43 (in a one time 20 run it would be under $40). Using the old time method of 5 x COGS to account for margin (which these days most small batch is lucky to do 3 1/2 x COGS) we're at about $215.  If one is hoping to pay for a table and a press brake just to do these it's a losing proposition.  If one is having the whole thing made they're retailing it and shouldn't expect as big a margin in most cases.  A year and $5k in a 20 run batch before break even something is wrong unless there is a tool or facility cost that the project is trying to recoup.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I think he's talking R&D costs.
He said his time, protypes, etc.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29

Jim I see you are using a 45 degree angle to try and deflect some debris. A while back a guy lost the bottom of his engine due to a rock just off course. will this be enough in a situation like this especially with the belts being secured to it?  Dave are you adding any type of skid plate?

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
The law of unintended consequences! No, I am not added a skid plate but would like to, however it is not legal.. One of the reasons this did not pass the first time. The floor insert pocket is stronger than the existing floor, but no doubt it is low and can catch which is why we added the 45... Is it enough? In right situation probably not.. But 100x better than a 90 IMO. I posted underside pictures above and would like to add a skid plate, but not legal at this time

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Yeah saw the pictures and it got me thinking, for once I can get behind some cheating. :)  

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

The rule states a Min thickness. Not a max. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Atlantic Canada
  • Car Number:78

So this could conceivably be a big ballast plate, welded on really low? :)

*Edit* I guess it's not going to be all that much lower than the regular floor, even if someone wanted to push the rules. And would tend to screw up the balance of the car over 'regular' ballast. Still, I just couldn't resist commenting!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

*Edit* I guess it's not going to be all that much lower than the regular floor, even if someone wanted to push the rules. And would tend to screw up the balance of the car over 'regular' ballast. Still, I just couldn't resist commenting!

Great post as I was thinking the same thing.

Jim says " Only a complete fool would put this modification in their car unless absolutely necessary" but than posts a couple of pictures of "his" new car with this same mod installed on the exact opposite side of his ballast plates. Makes me wonder, but he might have grown taller,got older, fatter, skinnier etc... and that may necessitate this new addition.  

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Jim's head rubs the top always has look at his helmet!!!!!!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Really?  I was thrashed for using a cheap helmet and you guys were letting him race a car that his head was touching. Some friends

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Great post as I was thinking the same thing.

Jim says " Only a complete fool would put this modification in their car unless absolutely necessary" but than posts a couple of pictures of "his" new car with this same mod installed on the exact opposite side of his ballast plates. Makes me wonder, but he might have grown taller,got older, fatter, skinnier etc... and that may necessitate this new addition.

My hard top has a wear hole from my helmet and my helmet has a wear spot from the top. I stand by the fool comment 100% even if it means I sell fewer of these. Lower left CG sounds great until you have to turn right, especially slow rights. I have battled this my entire racing lifetime. You ARE FAR BETTER to weigh 160 lbs and be under 6'0. You enjoy perfect weight distribution and you can set your car up where each wheel is literally within 5 lbs of each other.. My left side wheels are always 50-70 lbs more than rights. In a track like Mid Ohio.. where the car doesn't turn well in the rights for anyone as it is.. I invite all to shift their ballast to the under the left seat like I do :)
  • dstevens likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

You should really lobby for a skid plate. I thought in the SCCA safety came first, sh#$ makes no sense.

Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Racing to Cure ALS

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Jim is going to blame the bald spot he has on his helmet rubbing the top now...
  • Jim Drago and Pete Maerz like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

I think he's talking R&D costs.
He said his time, protypes, etc.
J~

While that very well may be his cost, in terms of manufacturing $4k is and a year is an inordinate amount of R&D for what is basically a flat stamped box (first 20 run would be about a grand if one were equipped).    That's a process issue, not a manufacturing issue.  For someone in the manufacturing biz if that's the cost sturcture it's likely the point where you say enough and don't build the part.  I see the value add for the builder during the build offering the option, not so much as a kit part.

My granddaughter will be here in a couple of days to clean up some welds in the car.   :banana: She was checking out the car on her last trip and wants to come and at least re weld the footings.  I think they are fine but she told her grandmother the welds weren't good so I guess I'm out voted.    :bigsquaregrin:  While it's mostly an excerise for us to spend some time together, she's an ME major and a good welder, better than me.  Even though the car isn't going to make it on track (with me driving anyway...) I'll put one in.  It will be a good project for us.  It may cost a hundred and 10 hours but the time will be priceless.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

You absolutely could.  From the complaints I've seen when weights were changed slightly from builds in progress it would indicate to me that people have been building weight balanced cars.  There is no cross weight rule as in circle track and no rule that stipulates all added tubing and plates must be the same.  With some calculation you could determine the best possible cross weight and and design and fab the cage to accomdate that.

I don't have enough experience or data to say conclusively if it would be a competitive mod in an SM but the reason it's outlawed in circle track is because for them it works.

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:56

My hard top has a wear hole from my helmet and my helmet has a wear spot from the top. I stand by the fool comment 100% even if it means I sell fewer of these. Lower left CG sounds great until you have to turn right, especially slow rights. I have battled this my entire racing lifetime. You ARE FAR BETTER to weigh 160 lbs and be under 6'0. You enjoy perfect weight distribution and you can set your car up where each wheel is literally within 5 lbs of each other.. My left side wheels are always 50-70 lbs more than rights. In a track like Mid Ohio.. where the car doesn't turn well in the rights for anyone as it is.. I invite all to shift their ballast to the under the left seat like I do :)

Why are you so good at Road America...Almost all rights..Hehehehehe... :buried:

• dstevens likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Why are you so good at Road America...Almost all rights..Hehehehehe... :buried:

In the words of LPS.. I'm a bamf! :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

In the words of LPS.. I'm a bamf! :)

:help:  Johnny, dictionary???

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

bad attitude moderatly feminine...

• dstevens, steveracer and Jim Drago like this

K. Webb