Photo

Are you attending the Runoffs or NASA East Champs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you planning to attend Runoffs or Nasa East Championship (86 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you plan on running races in either of the following?

1. Voted Primarily SCCA majors (31 votes [36.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.05%

2. Primarrily NASA races (19 votes [22.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.09%

3. Primarily SCCA Regional races (22 votes [25.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

4. SCCA majors and NASA races (9 votes [10.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.47%

5. ALL of the above (5 votes [5.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.81%

Do you plan on racing any of the season ending Championship events?

1. Voted yes (72 votes [83.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. no (14 votes [16.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

If you answered yes to #2, What race(s) do you plan on attending?

1. Voted SCCA Runoffs (42 votes [38.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.18%

2. NASA East Championship (22 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Voted Nasa West Championships (8 votes [7.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

4. ARRC (20 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

5. alternative regional championship race like the SIC (16 votes [14.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

6. Both NASA championships (2 votes [1.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

I run a 97. Never felt the need to cheat like that. I cheat other ways like removing airbag wiring, removing the speaker wires from the doors. Running my wipers lower than the stock location. You know, real cheats with real performance advantages unlike chipped ECUs.

If proof and evidence was as simple as what you just put forward, the 1.6 parity debate would have been settled by you guys long ago. You proved Mikes point and are also playing both sides of the fence. But I understand that. You run a NA 1.8 . And like Mike said, the key to get something changed is to get together enough people running the platform to complain. Which is a form of evidence I guess.

I've put forth a similar argument to yours. The evidence that the NA 1.8 needs something is that if the big boys(pun intended) aren't running a particular year then it must be disadvantaged. That didn't fly.

As a case study and to help us determine a clear track to bringing parity to the NA 1.8 so we can avoid the 5+ years of back and forth that happened on the 1.6, what was the clear evidence that compelled the rule changes for the 1.6? Lets fast track this effort and model the 1.6 path.

That's very noble of you to not "cheat" in the way I described yet that doesn't seem to get us (NA1.8 drivers) anything except for being able to claim to have a "fully prepped" version of our car.  Which doesn't seem to amount to a hill of beans when it comes to 'data' everyone tosses back in our face as required before accepting a change proposal.

And I'm not only playing each side of the fence but also the top: I'm on the SMAC! *thumbs up*

Again, I've made no plans whatsoever to pursue any of the items I proposed.  However they all directly mitigate the known underlying limitations of the platform nor are they are an exploitation or expansion of what the 99+ owners did in 2013.  These "cheats" would essentially make my car "spec" with a '99-00 outside of the aerodynamics and everyone feels a '99 is competitive with a '00, right?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TommyB

TommyB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:50

I'm not sure how many divisions have adopted the SM2 class but, somewhere along the line  it appears some folks in the NE division thought there was a significant enough parity issue to establish a separate class for the NA's....or was this just an easy way to allow more cars to double dip and increase revenue ....or both?

I still wish someone would educate me on how one takes 50lbs off a fully prepared and compliant car...Unless you can replace glass with lexan, steel with fiberglass/ CF ,etc and since these aren't Prod or GT cars you can't do this, right?

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

That's very noble of you to not "cheat" in the way I described yet that doesn't seem to get us (NA1.8 drivers) anything except for being able to claim to have a "fully prepped" version of our car.  Which doesn't seem to amount to a hill of beans when it comes to 'data' everyone tosses back in our face as required before accepting a change proposal.

And I'm not only playing each side of the fence but also the top: I'm on the SMAC! *thumbs up*

Again, I've made no plans whatsoever to pursue any of the items I proposed.  However they all directly mitigate the known underlying limitations of the platform nor are they are an exploitation or expansion of what the 99+ owners did in 2013.  These "cheats" would essentially make my car "spec" with a '99-00 outside of the aerodynamics and everyone feels a '99 is competitive with a '00, right?

huh?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

I still wish someone would educate me on how one takes 50lbs off a fully prepared and compliant car...Unless you can replace glass with lexan, steel with fiberglass/ CF ,etc and since these aren't Prod or GT cars you can't do this, right?

Calm yo tits, that was hypothetical.

I'll bang my usual drum of just putting an asterisk on the spec line for 1.6 and 1.8 that says "deprecated, no longer fully supported.  Recommend upgrade"

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

You can take 50 pounds out easy if you have a 50 pound lead weight in the car to begin with ;)

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CarbonRacer

CarbonRacer

Autotechnik's Red Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:56

I cannot run a cool suit because my car will be way over weight. My car has no added weight so for my car to lose 50 lbs. I would have to cut my left leg off and use a hand clutch. :wacko:

Danica Davison is my BIOTCH...Just Sayin

2017 - 6 Podiums

2016 - Florida Cup Champion

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

How bad do you want to win though :)  It might be worth it

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TommyB

TommyB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

its one thing to put a new number on the side of the car , its another to get to that number, especially down.

No lead weight in my car as I'm 6' , 215 lb's with a 36-37 inch waste. I'm proud to say this is only 15-20 lbs heavier than my weight out of" basic "training" back in the early 70's....

so at age 67 not a lot of execss flab hanging off these bones.

Not sure what driver weight was used initially to set a base line but 175# would probably sound about right, which would mean anyone pushing 200 +/- is at a real disadvantage .

Maybe putting Danica in the car is the answer :bigsquaregrin:

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Tommy do you have a cool suit in the car?

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

huh?

There were three items in my post - which of them have I done my usual "unclear clarification"?

:)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

The only thing I understood is that you are playing both sides of the fence.

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I cannot run a cool suit because my car will be way over weight. My car has no added weight so for my car to lose 50 lbs. I would have to cut my left leg off and use a hand clutch. :wacko:

Race ready car weight without driver?

Driver with gear weight?

My 1990 with 1 gallon of gas, 2 gallon cool suite water and extra cage tubes is 2020 pounds.

If one builds/buys a car which is over weight, that's a real issue.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TommyB

TommyB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

John, no cool suit as of now.

It seems as though if you are just physically to big for the class/car kinda tough cookies.

Any talks about reducing weight of the NA 1.8's will probably be fruitless for me or anyone else facing the  same issue.

Although I don't know him personally, it sounds like Drago is a big guy.

He either doesn't drive a NA or if he does,he drives the pants off it.  Just say'n.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Okay, I see your car on your profile is a 99, not an NA so I was confused because I am 6'3 240 and had to put weight in my 99.

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Drago is a large dude, 6' 3" ish, 300 # ish, all guess work.

Drago drives 99 plus cars.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

TommyB, sorry for asking your weight, re-read. Your car must be heavy. I'm about equal weight and height to you along with 7 years older and come in just under 2275 minimum weight with some added weight.

CarbonRacer

CarbonRacer

Autotechnik's Red Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:56

I have owned two different 97 NA 1.8's and there is no way the weight can be reduced to 2020 lbs. I would have to remove another 130 lbs. out of the car and I don't have a cool suit or have extra tubes in the roll cage.

Danica Davison is my BIOTCH...Just Sayin

2017 - 6 Podiums

2016 - Florida Cup Champion

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

My only point of offering that a 1990 1.6 can be built to 2020 pounds is that it's real. Also I have read on this site info from a SM prep shop that a 99 can be built to 2100 pounds. Not a slam or flame, but with those numbers it seems a NA 1.8 could be built between 2020 and 2100 pounds. 94-97 minimum weight 2350 pounds.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
2020 lbs is a stretch on a 97. But sub 2100 is possible with only minor rule consideration. At 2150 or so right now.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

James, I qualified my 2020 pounds to a 1990 spec line. I didn't  say a 1994-1997 weighs 2020. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users