Photo

Are you attending the Runoffs or NASA East Champs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you planning to attend Runoffs or Nasa East Championship (86 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you plan on running races in either of the following?

1. Voted Primarily SCCA majors (31 votes [36.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.05%

2. Primarrily NASA races (19 votes [22.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.09%

3. Primarily SCCA Regional races (22 votes [25.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

4. SCCA majors and NASA races (9 votes [10.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.47%

5. ALL of the above (5 votes [5.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.81%

Do you plan on racing any of the season ending Championship events?

1. Voted yes (72 votes [83.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.72%

2. no (14 votes [16.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

If you answered yes to #2, What race(s) do you plan on attending?

1. Voted SCCA Runoffs (42 votes [38.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.18%

2. NASA East Championship (22 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Voted Nasa West Championships (8 votes [7.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

4. ARRC (20 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

5. alternative regional championship race like the SIC (16 votes [14.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.55%

6. Both NASA championships (2 votes [1.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Not to get to far off topic but, but some of you know Mike Collins and some of you know MEATHEAD. Until we change the President and the BoD members from winners of a popularity contest to members who can execute a plan, make decisions and improve the club we will continue to have a problem. Lots of people don't like me or my tactics, but excuse me for holding people accountable for what they said, or making them follow through on a plan or for exposing the dirt swept under the rug. I have no problem doing that, we need more members to do the same. The problem is we've become a customer based audience and not participatory club members. Thats fine except we don't have a business model thats lets us conduct "business" that way, so the squeaky wheel will ALWAYS get the grease in the current system, with one exception... none of the current or past regime wants anything to do with SM.  Its more of a hassle to them and they don't understand our culture or value we bring to the club even when you can clearly demonstrate it.

• Ron Alan, Jim Drago, Jamz14 and 1 other like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

I'm not disagreeing with you Jim, or mike.  It is not an easy problem to fix, but as Mr. Donald Trump would say, "fix the complex problem with simple solutions," and he reminds us every day how high he is in the polls with that mindset :) .  True, nobody wants to be the one affected by change, but I wonder what those small class guys are thinking.  Do they want to only be out there with only four cars? Or would they rather mix groups, consolidate based on rules, etc?  I don't think anyone truly knows how all different classes think because I don't see the drivers being asked by SCCA with polls or votes or in any form really. I am sure the CRB and others get involved with those decisions, but Jim, when you were trying to make those decisions, were you getting a lot of driver feedback?  I'm asking because I am not involved in the club in that way but maybe others want to know besides just me, so I figured I would ask.

I agree with Mike that there needs to be more of an effort at the top to improve SCCA, and I know they are trying, but as a member, I do not feel as involved in decision making.  I believe there is always room for improvement, just like in registration.  I believe national office is working on something right now to get the registration process more centralized and streamlined so maybe that will work? 

#MakeSCCAgreatAgain  ?

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I am an outsider looking in but someone needs to take the bull by the horns. A simple rule that setting a minimum number or cars for a runoffs class is the simple fix. In the effort to make everyone happy they are making no one happy.

If they do not get the Runoffs schedule under control. i see this event dying off. They tried to pump life into it by moving it around, but I for one can not take off 10 days every year to do the Runoffs. Just not going to happen.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
There is no need too change the schedule or amount of classes for spec Miata too be able too have 2 quals, 2 qual races and a championship race. It would be the same amount of track time currently used
  • Danica Davison likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

I know Mike Collins and I know Meathead, and I agree with a lot of what he has said and done.  However, I must disagree with this statement:  none of the current or past regime wants anything to do with SM.  Its more of a hassle to them and they don't understand our culture or value we bring to the club even when you can clearly demonstrate it.

The current CRB considers SM to be one of the two or three most important classes in SCCA Club Racing.  I, personally, think it is the most important class.  We spend considerable time trying to keep it viable and not screw it up.  To this end, we meet (concall) with Mazda, NASA and SCCA staff on a monthly basis, with SM as the major topic.  We read every letter and will discuss any issue, both by emails and by phone, with anyone who is an SM racer, crew person or supplier or SM prospect.  A lot of time was spent trying to clarify the rules to fix what went wrong at Laguna, and even more time and money has been spent on insuring that, if you get beat, you can be assured it was not by a cheater car.  

wheel

• MarekM, Danny Steyn and Michael Novak like this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Well isn't there also a rule that you need more than 10 cars in your class to be crowned national champion with contingency monies?  Someone fact check me on that.  That is a lot of cheddar to throw down for truly nothing if you win 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Yes.  For instance, there were 5 T3 cars, so no National Championship was awarded.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I'm not disagreeing with you Jim, or mike.  It is not an easy problem to fix, but as Mr. Donald Trump would say, "fix the complex problem with simple solutions," and he reminds us every day how high he is in the polls with that mindset :)

#MakeSCCAgreatAgain  ?

I threw up a little bit in my mouth reading this.

• Danica Davison likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I think I am going to go race the nasa west champs since only 5 cars are going there, good chances to be had there!

• Jamz14 likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I think I am going to go race the nasa west champs since only 5 cars are going there, good chances to be had there!

You are going to love Buttonwillow. Buttonwillow in Oct. 108 degrees.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

So much for my idea of trying to prove the NA1.8 needs something!

Looks as though I'm well in-line for a podium at Mid-O!

:hugegrin:

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

So much for my idea of trying to prove the NA1.8 needs something!

Looks as though I'm well in-line for a podium at Mid-O!

:hugegrin:

Everybody has an "idea" that their car needs something. But what is your evidence that it does?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Everybody has an "idea" that their car needs something. But what is your evidence that it does?

In the SCCA you don't need no stinking evidence, you just need 11 other friends to write a similar letter asking for the same thing... and if that doesn't work ask your 5 other GTL friends to each write two letters.  they get what they want with no regard to the rules ;)

• Jamz14 likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I know Mike Collins and I know Meathead, and I agree with a lot of what he has said and done.  However, I must disagree with this statement:  none of the current or past regime wants anything to do with SM.  Its more of a hassle to them and they don't understand our culture or value we bring to the club even when you can clearly demonstrate it.

The current CRB considers SM to be one of the two or three most important classes in SCCA Club Racing.  I, personally, think it is the most important class.  We spend considerable time trying to keep it viable and not screw it up.  To this end, we meet (concall) with Mazda, NASA and SCCA staff on a monthly basis, with SM as the major topic.  We read every letter and will discuss any issue, both by emails and by phone, with anyone who is an SM racer, crew person or supplier or SM prospect.  A lot of time was spent trying to clarify the rules to fix what went wrong at Laguna, and even more time and money has been spent on insuring that, if you get beat, you can be assured it was not by a cheater car.  

wheel

Respectfully Wheel, what you said doesnt seem to change what Mike said. They do what needs to be done...but their desire to do so may not match that of something they care about...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

In the SCCA you don't need no stinking evidence, you just need 11 other friends to write a similar letter asking for the same thing... and if that doesn't work ask your 5 other GTL friends to each write two letters.  they get what they want with no regard to the rules ;)

*cough* bullshit *cough*

I wish we had transcripts of the SMAC calls for the past 3-4 months...

Though what you imply is we should go ahead and cheat in a non-techable way that then gets us the allowance in the rules to negate the advantage to those with the knowledge ("take" it from the few letting the "many" use it if they want - aka fuel pressure, 99+ timing adjustment, bent spindles).

• MarekM likes this

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

The evidence is the absolute dearth of anyone even ENTERING a 94-97 model car in Majors let alone being equivalently competitive.

The evidence is my builder only getting within 2-3HP of his best '99.

The evidence is the known disadvantage of the NA suspension relative to the NB.

The evidence is the known shorter fuel cutoff of the 94-97 ECUs.

I'm not the best driver in the nation, I'm not he worst driver in the conference, but I'm racing the platform that has received the least substantive analysis over the past 5 years so I'm putting my money where my mouth is in an effort to prove a point regarding support for anything.

I've contemplated doing the underhanded thing and moving to a modified ECU (replacement crystal soldered), getting an NB front subframe, running with a 99-00 head (at 2415 & the restrictor) solely in an effort to give folks the opportunity to state "It doesn't need anything; your results prove that." 

But that wouldn't be fair to myself nor those who've helped me within the club over the past 6 years and it would jeopardize my standing within this club I enjoy giving back to (driver's school instructor, RE, SMAC member) so it's not something I will be pursuing.  Yet this is approximately what I perceive is needed to absolutely put to bed the parity discussion for all 1.8s.

Sorry for turning this into a parity thread (yet again) - hey, at least it's not a 1.6 parity thread!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

The evidence is my builder only getting within 2-3HP of his best '99.

In your opinion, what should it make while weighing 50 lbs less?

It was proposed in the past.. still feel it what needs to happen on that car is put a plate(up to no plate) that gets the 94/7 to 99/00 like HP and match the weights.. Perhaps 10-15 lbs less to help with suspension disadvantage..

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

CarbonRacer

CarbonRacer

Autotechnik's Red Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:56

I have to agree with Brandon on the 94 - 97 comparison to the 99/00.

Danica Davison is my BIOTCH...Just Sayin

2017 - 6 Podiums

2016 - Florida Cup Champion

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:94

In your opinion, what should it make while weighing 50 lbs less?

It was proposed in the past.. still feel it what needs to happen on that car is put a plate(up to no plate) that gets the 94/7 to 99/00 like HP and match the weights.. Perhaps 10-15 lbs less to help with suspension disadvantage..

If we held a meeting with all of the 2015 Runoffs competitors in NB cars and offered each of them a future and permanent 15 pound weight reduction if they installed NA subframes and suspension, how many would opt to do that?  Let's throw in free parts and labor also.  How many do it?  I'd say near zero.  So what is the number where half of the NB field decides to do it?  What is the number where all want to do it? I'd say we have to get to near a 50 pound reduction before the NB majority are willing to do it.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

TommyB

TommyB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Number:50

Just kinda curious where or how you take 50 lbs off an SM.

If you've got the car built to max compliance, including wheel weights, interior gutting, minimum roll cage specs , smallest battery,alluminum hood etc , etc  where is the weight reduction coming from.. the driver.?

For most of us anything near a 50# personal weight loss is pretty unrealistic .

I would think massive weight reduction in any spec class is very difficult to achieve.

Tom B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users