Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Frank, did you know Mazda sells a fog light delete cover for 01-05 ?
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45

Ok so 1st I meant to say choose.

It looks like you boxed in the pinch weld.

Why not weld one flat of the angle to the pinch weld and one to the floor?
You're doubling/strengthening the wall of the pinch weld. On the inside, behind the pinch weld.

Imagine you're looking at the ends of 2 angle pieces, up side down, so it looks like a "T"
One is the Angle you're adding and the other is the Pinch weld.

Follow?
J~

I do, and that is an interesting thought.   My official answer is...That didn't occur to me!  :wacko: Good idea though

Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45

Frank

There are rivets there...but you just can't see them.   I toasted my bumper the previous race and we salvaged some covers from that one by cutting out the same areas as the covers.

• FTodaro likes this
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Frank, did you know Mazda sells a fog light delete cover for 01-05 ?
J~

I do, but i am talking about the 99/00

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Oh this is for a 01...
I looked at Mazdaspeed but couldn't find it. But remembered this.
http://mazdaracers.c...og-light-holes/

Maybe Mike or Jim has a P/N or give Mazda a call, assuming its not the cupped version.
Alan's template is in there too.

So for a 99/00 either get a base model 99 or figure out the cover.
I few strips of fiberglass and some bondo to make it pretty ?

J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

What do we think about this as a new award.. brought up to me by Dave D ( not Bench, different Dave D.. This award will be added to anyone nit picking or bringing up weenie type protests?

weenie%20award_zpswlrcnryr.jpg

:) I never meant to imply that it might be protested, but if the scrutes get bored checking our socks they might turn their attention to the latest rules allowances just to see if they are being followed. Apparently in this case the rule was not followed even before it was made. May as well be proactive.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

I just wish the rule allowed for 3 small reinforcements instead of one.  One reinforcement covers the jack point, but then you set the car down on jack stands and whoop, there goes your pinch weld.  Instead of 12" in the center, I'd prefer to have 3" front, 6" middle, and 3" rearward.  One for the jack and each jack stand.

Que Ralph to remind me that there are oem jack points located on the inboard side of the pinch weld at the front and rear.  :)  They just don't look all that beefy, are smaller than the top of most jack stands, and are a pain to locate when you're in a hurry. 

• Johnny D and Steve Scheifler like this

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

I just wish the rule allowed for 3 small reinforcements instead of one.  One reinforcement covers the jack point, but then you set the car down on jack stands and whoop, there goes your pinch weld.  Instead of 12" in the center, I'd prefer to have 3" front, 6" middle, and 3" rearward.  One for the jack and each jack stand.

Que Ralph to remind me that there are oem jack points located on the inboard side of the pinch weld at the front and rear.  :)  They just don't look all that beefy, are smaller than the top of most jack stands, and are a pain to locate when you're in a hurry. 

I did this on my first build...

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Discuss here, but please remember your official feedback should be a letter to SCCA at https://www.crbscca.com/ :)

J~

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

LOL. I am happy that we got the one approved into rule.

I would love to have air jacks ;)
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

bvondran

bvondran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Car Year:1990

Discuss here, but please remember your official feedback should be a letter to SCCA at https://www.crbscca.com/ :)

J~

I've never sent a letter to the CRB before, so this is my first attempt.  I sent the following request earlier today:

"CRB members,
Rule 9.1.7.3q allows reinforcement of the facotry pinch weld in one location, with angle iron or steel tubing not to exceed 12" in length, on each side of the car to facilitate frequent lifting of the vehicle without causing damage.  I am requesting this rule be modified to allow reinforcement of a central jacking location (currently allowed by the current rules) and each of the factory jacking points, while maintianing a total length of steel angle iron or steel tubing not to exceed 12" per side.  This woud facilitate frequent lifting and jack stand usage while minimizing damage to the factory pinch welds/jacking locations and without impacting performance.

I request rule 9.1.7.3q be updated as follows:

To facilitate frequent lifting of the vehicle without causing damage, up to three one pieces of steel angle iron or square steel tubing may be added under the rocker panel inboard of the factory pinch weld flange on each side of the car. Angle iron and/or square steel tubing dimensions shall not exceed12” x 1” x 1” x .125 thick with an aggregate length of 12" on each side of the car. The added support shall be securely fastened to the car and serve no other purpose.

Thank you for your consideration."

Thanks,

Brian

• Johnny D, steveracer and speedengineer like this

Ryan Roberson

Ryan Roberson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes (NASA)
  • Car Number:44

Any one have any pics of the supports, to the rule, that they care to share?  thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users