Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
Will emptying the tank through the port before changing significantly reduce the amount of gas that comes out of the lines after disconnecting them? Can you reuse the plastic clip that stays on the old filter when you release the quick connect lines?

Thanks,

EDITED FOR ANSWER TO THE QUESTION: Yes, emptying the tank will result in no gas getting on you when you change the filter.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
The gas does not come out of the tank all that fast. To give you an idea I drained 7 gallons out of my tank by disconnecting fuel line before the filter. It drained about a gallon an hr. it just dribbled out.

the connectors on the fuel filter are like the ones you disconnected to install your pressure regulator. the plastic tool disconnects the line from the filter then the line will just snap back into place on the new filter. If you keep the cap on the tank, is should to help slow it down.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Doesn't sound like your using the "jumper wire".
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Just have EVERYTING ready and do it like Johnny Lightning and you won't spill much at all.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Just have EVERYTING ready and do it like Johnny Lightning and you won't spill much at all.

I tried. More was coming out than I was comfortable with in my garage without a lift. I'll try again with an empty tank (gotta empty it anyway to corner balance).
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I tried. More was coming out than I was comfortable with in my garage without a lift. I'll try again with an empty tank (gotta empty it anyway to corner balance).

Actually you don't need to empty to corner balance. You don't race with an empty tank do you?......

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Actually you don't need to empty to corner balance. You don't race with an empty tank do you?......

No, but do you have a better way to make sure it gets balanced with exactly 1 gal? :D
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
Drink a few beers to get it right? B)

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Drink a few beers to get it right? B)

Which? The fuel filter or the corner balance (or both)? :lol:
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

No, but do you have a better way to make sure it gets balanced with exactly 1 gal? :D

Hmmmmm.. Why 1 gal? In a race distance where does the fuel transition from/to? To stimulate your mind....Do you scale/align your car with you in or out?

I know I am beating around the bush, but like every adjustment to our cars, in which condition do you wish to "simulate". And if you are really the curious type, why don't you put your car on the scales and document the changes as fuel goes from start to finish and see what happens. ;)

James York

sponsored by:

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Hmmmmm.. Why 1 gal? In a race distance where does the fuel transition from/to? To stimulate your mind....Do you scale/align your car with you in or out?

I know I am beating around the bush, but like every adjustment to our cars, in which condition do you wish to "simulate". And if you are really the curious type, why don't you put your car on the scales and document the changes as fuel goes from start to finish and see what happens. ;)

I want one gallon in the car at the end of the race and of course I scale it with me in the car (it would be a waste of money otherwise). Dont have the funds to pay my set up guy to scale the car every lap!
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Think about what James is saying for a minute and why.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I'm going by JD's set up advice and my past experience setting up other cars. What do you guys suggest?
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image

James York

James York

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
Kyle,

Ok, my thoughts in a nutshell.

First, I am giving you a hard time about something that probably doesn't matter unless you are on the pointy end and getting every last tenth. The reality of the situation is for the small cross change (if any) due to fuel change won't be discernible to most. However, I always suggest the best way of doing something for even beginners if it's not any difference in work. And I was trying to get thoughts going about my answer.

I can't recall what JD's guide says, nor am I critiquing it, but I scale, align and do everything for how the car is being raced. For example, let's assume that Mazda did a poor job on building the Miata and that fuel load made a huge difference in cross and balance. Would you want the car's balance to be way off in the beginning and transition to good, or start good and go way off? Or is there some middle ground that would be a compromise, a little off in the beginning and end? But, in our case Mazda built a great car. Me, I will set up my car with a middle load of fuel unless I have some particular race strategy, like to set up better at the beginning for impending rain.

In the big picture, you are probably fine doing any way you wish.

James York

sponsored by: