Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

John

When I first started testing out brakes, I absolutely LOVED the initial bite of the Hawks, but for the there was NO sensitivity in the pedal and I couldnt detect when it was locking until it was too late and I flat spotted lots of tires. For me the G-Loc gives a similar YUUUUUGE initial bite, but with a lot of pedal feedback so I am not flat spotting tires.

I dont know what Hawks cost these days but I suspect all pads are priced relatively competitively 

• steveracer, Sean - MiataCage, G-LOC Danny and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

^which Hawks?

Hawk blues

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Your Trump voice some needs work .. so I fixed it for you. 

Also, our team just started switching over to G-LOCs but I haven't gotten on board yet but I am toying with the idea.  However, they are much more costly but I heard they last longer than Hawks?  Is that true?  I feel like I get quick lock ups a little too frequently with the hawks so does that help?  That could also be user error though ...

More costly than Hawks but not Carbotechs...roughly same price? As Danny said pick the pad that suits your style. I think i have the pads that end in 10 and 8 with the g-locs...same pad and number as Carbotechs(what I was told). Longer pedal and requires more pedal pressure. Once you get used to them flat spotting tires is rare...unlike the Hawks and some others which do have incredible  bite and take a lot less pedal pressure. But getting the big muscles in your leg to react with fine motor skills like your hand is a challenge...hence the ease of releasing at threshold when more pressure is involved. I learned this early on...,brake pads are cheaper than tires!! They really all do stop the same...just in different manors!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

G-LOC Danny

G-LOC Danny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Central Carolina
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:33

However, they are much more costly but I heard they last longer than Hawks?  Is that true?  I feel like I get quick lock ups a little too frequently with the hawks so does that help?  That could also be user error though ...

Are you comparing them to the old Hawk Blue's, or to the newish DTC compounds?  If you're talking about the DTC compounds we are typically less expensive.  You're not the only one getting lock up so I would say it's not "user error".  :) 

• Danica Davison likes this

G-LOC Danny

G-LOC Danny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:Central Carolina
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:33

Sooo.... anyone use their brakes yet?

You don't have to take my word for it, but please feel free to contact these drivers/teams to see what they think.  These are just a few you might know and all of them run G-LOC brake pads. 

• Chris Haldeman
  • Blake Clements
  • Danny Steyn
  • OPM Autosports
  • Panic Motorsports
  • TFB Performance
  • RM Autosports
  • Old Dogs Racing
  • Manhammer Motorsports
  • Charlie Hayes (Norcal)
  • Tim Weaver (Norcal)
  • 5x Racing
  • 949 Racing

You can call me at 844-927-2537 or email me at danny@g-locbrakes.com if you have any questions.  Hope that helps. 

• Alberto likes this

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Hawk blues

My gosh, do people still use those? 

• Alberto and G-LOC Danny like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

My gosh, do people still use those? 

Everyone has to learn Tom :) ...and the young guys(as well as some of us old guys)look only at the $$$

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

You can add me to that list of users! 

Danny P...do you have or planning to offer endurance pads? I tried to get some from Sean but I'm not sure why that never happened?

Ron

RAmotorsports

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Ron, I use a very long lasting g-loc compound for enduro's. As per Danny's advise. Give him a call he will set you up.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jonathan Davis

Jonathan Davis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:16

I switched to G-Loc this year as well and have been very happy with them. I liked the initial bite of Hawks, but felt they were hard to modulate at the limit. I settled on the combo of R18 front and R10 rear. The R18s are very aggressive if you are used to the lower compounds, but they have great initial bite, like Danny said. I didn't keep close enough track of the wear to say exactly how they compare to Hawk. I know I get a weekend at Blackhawk and a weekend at Road America, plus a couple other easier weekends out of the same set of fronts this year...

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

As Danny said pick the pad that suits your style. I think i have the pads that end in 10 and 8 with the g-locs...same pad and number as Carbotechs(what I was told). Longer pedal and requires more pedal pressure. Once you get used to them flat spotting tires is rare...

You can call me at 844-927-2537 or email me at danny@g-locbrakes.com if you have any questions.  Hope that helps. 

Thanks fellas.  

I'll give you a call, Danny, when I'm ready to freshen brakes for next season.  

I used the Carbotechs 10 front and 8 rear this season for the first time.  I had been using Hawk DTC60s for the last 4 years.  I'd like more bite out of the pads like I had with the DTC60s so I should probably try the next most aggressive combo - 12 / 10.  The 10s seem to have worn quicker than the DTC60s and leave a lot more deposits on the rotors.  I've had some brake pedal vibration as well from the deposits.  Not fun.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

You don't have to take my word for it, but please feel free to contact these drivers/teams to see what they think.  These are just a few you might know and all of them run G-LOC brake pads. 

• Chris Haldeman
  • Blake Clements
  • Danny Steyn
  • OPM Autosports
  • Panic Motorsports
  • TFB Performance
  • RM Autosports
  • Old Dogs Racing
  • Manhammer Motorsports
  • Charlie Hayes (Norcal)
  • Tim Weaver (Norcal)
  • 5x Racing
  • 949 Racing

I switched to G-Loc and per the commercial I "couldn't be happier"

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

How do these compare to the Cobalts?  Is the 10/8 combo the way to go for most folks?

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

I personally loved the feel and performance of the Cobalt brakes, but I HATED the fact that they would fail at less than 50% of their pad life when they would wear to the rivets and then they would break apart. Also caused me a huge moment at Road America when the broken piece wedged itself between the remaining brake pad and the disk going over the severe rumble strips at that track, and effectively giving me less than 20% of the braking surface on one side. Due to the premature failure the Cobalts were expensive and could have been prohibitively expensive if I hadn't got my car stopped. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

OctaneNation

OctaneNation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Sounds like my experience with Carbotechs. Cobalts work at our track all the way to the backing plate... Plus Carbotechs would starte depositing material on the rotors at half life and make everything unusable.

I personally loved the feel and performance of the Cobalt brakes, but I HATED the fact that they would fail at less than 50% of their pad life when they would wear to the rivets and then they would break apart. 

• Steve Scheifler likes this

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

I'm thinking about switching. Is it confirmed that XP10 = R10, XP8 = R8? I really like my Carbotechs so I want to start in the same compound range before making adjustments for comparison reasons.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

^^^ Yes

Ron

RAmotorsports

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Or try Cobalt Friction, but ignore their compound recommendations and run 3s front & rear, particularly on a 1.6. Great pads, zero hassle because they work even cold, and you don’t need the “bedding” process that eats up valuable track time. Just start with fresh (or resurfaced) rotors if you switch from another brand.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Or try Cobalt Friction, but ignore their compound recommendations and run 3s front & rear, particularly on a 1.6. Great pads, zero hassle because they work even cold, and you don’t need the “bedding” process that eats up valuable track time. Just start with fresh (or resurfaced) rotors if you switch from another brand.

I believe all of the Rcompound G-Locs come "prebedded". Just put 'em on, hop in the car, and go.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I believe all of the Rcompound G-Locs come "prebedded". Just put 'em on, hop in the car, and go.

Excellent!
But I still like the Cobalts. If a few people are interested in giving them a try I’m pretty sure I can arrange a steep new-customer group discount. (Nothing in it for me, I just like them and most especially their products).
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users