Photo

61st June Sprints - Smack Talk, Updates and Results

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I thought Saturdays start was picture perfect and text book.. Sunday I was afraid to do the same thing as people may have tried timing it, so I left a little earlier. 

As an agreement fact I heard the same ^ from a couple competitors.

My previous post was only a mention that SHE the starter waived off a couple starts.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:Cen-Div
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:67

To change the subject from Bench's bantering. Aside from the usual mid-pack bumping and grinding the race was very entertaining to watch. No major hits and no FCY, that's a feat in itself as history has shown. It is truly amazing the speed these newer drivers are showing, Tyler Brown, Pecore, Nufer, and more. These kids jump in and really focused on getting up to speed and did well. Congrats to all the front runners, Drago is still the man to beat with that qualifying effort but it didn't come easy during the race. Great Job all of you. On a side note, I was gutted to see Tyler Brown get in to Tommy Brown at corner 5. Racing incident but none the less, setting your dad in the pea gravel on Fathers Day probably made for a long ride home.

• Caveman-kwebb99 likes this

Nic Piekarski

My 99 Spec Miata makes great torque under 5,500 RPM!!!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

To change the subject from Bench's bantering. Aside from the usual mid-pack bumping and grinding the race was very entertaining to watch. No major hits and no FCY, that's a feat in itself as history has shown. It is truly amazing the speed these newer drivers are showing, Tyler Brown, Pecore, Nufer, and more. These kids jump in and really focused on getting up to speed and did well. Congrats to all the front runners, Drago is still the man to beat with that qualifying effort but it didn't come easy during the race. Great Job all of you. On a side note, I was gutted to see Tyler Brown get in to Tommy Brown at corner 5. Racing incident but none the less, setting your dad in the pea gravel on Fathers Day probably made for a long ride home.

This is the story of how the year is going the young guys are drving well and driving clean!  

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Voyteks interview

http://www.scca.com/videos/2028160

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Big shout out to Craig Berry on behalf of all of us drivers for immediately pulling off when his engine let go, and getting zero oil on the racing line. This is so often not the case with drivers limping around the track, leaving at trail of oil online, with the inevitable shunt and FCY. Your quick action helped keep us caution free.
  • Mike Collins, Jim Drago, FTodaro and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Wow, surprised nobody stacked it up on the sunday start from Danny's video

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

To have my son put my in the gravel would be the best father's day gift. I'm sure he enjoyed racing with his son and his pride is limitless.
  • chris haldeman and Jim Drago like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

To me, this is to funny not to post.

Guy without hat is Bench Racer talking to Jim.

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

sentercut

sentercut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:55

This was my first time at RA, and my second majors race. I made the haul up from SC, and joined my best friend from Montana (Andy Devoto) for a bucket list weekend. We have been talking about this weekend for about 6 months and it did not disappoint. The weather was perfect and the SM people for the most part were wonderful. Congratulations to all of the winners and podium finishers, you guys are tremendous drivers. 

I wanted to say specifically congratulations to Tyler Brown for an amazing race and finish on Sunday, and a huge thank you to Tom as well for all of their hospitality and willingness to help two jackleg rookie want a be drivers in anything that we asked of them. Also thanks to Tom and Steve Scheifler for their willingness to stop and talk and  lend some friendly advice while in the middle of a tranny rebuild, and some great fun clean racing for many laps on Sunday until I lost it in the kink with a couple to go. 

Also, wanted to say congratulations to Andy Devoto for two great drives on Saturday and Sunday in his old beat up NA finishing 18th and 15th in his first Majors race and first time at RA. He is a great driver and friend that got me into this mayhem. 

Last, and most importantly I wanted to publicly extend my apologizes to Joe Tovo in the #131 car. I completely side swiped him in T5 and took him out of the race with a combination of a bone head move and a misplaced foot when braking catching some brake and gas pedal. I have never met Mr Tovo until I went looking for him after the race and found his car in the Advanced compound, and asked where i could find him explaining that i owed him an apology. They told me he was not around but was perturbed to put it mildly. I left my contact information and asked them to give it to Mr Tovo and have him call me asap. By the time i got back to our trailer he was waiting. He asked me what had happened and i explained profusely apologizing for ruining his race. This gentleman had his family with him and called his two boys over (maybe 5 or 6 years old) into our conversation explaining to me that his kids race karts and he wanted them to hear our conversation using it as a teachable moment for them. WOW. While I am sure he left RA very disappointed, it was a highlight of my weekend and filled many of my thoughts on the 13 hour drive home.  Mr Tovo was not only gracious and forgiving, but he displayed encouragement and wisdom making lemonade out of lemons. My hat is off to you sir, and I appreciate the grace you extended. 

• Nash Lawson, Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and 6 others like this

Senter Smith

tylerbrown

tylerbrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Car Number:07

Not exactly how I wanted this weekend to go, but nonetheless I still had a lot of fun.

Thursdays test day the car felt great right out of the box and I was getting used to the grip of the Hoosiers compared to the toyos that I last ran at Road America a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping to find someone to try to work with on the test day but did not really find anyone, but still was able to run consistent 2.45s. 

Fridays qualifying I hooked up with Adam Roberts for both sessions and we ended up qualifying 20th and 21st with 2.45.4xx s. 

Saturdays race the field had a good checkup and brake and then they went, started in second gear at the bottom of the hill. I missed the 2-3 upshift which did not help my run down the straight. Coming into turn 5 there was a lot of cars all bunched up, and it got tight going through t6 and t7 but then single filed out again. While going into turn 12, Steve Scheifler had a good run on me and I saw that he was coming up for a pass. Knowing that he had an NA and would most likely be able to out brake me, I took the defensive inside line about mid track into turn 12, leaving room for him on the track. When I went to the brakes we came together and he almost spun in front of me. Evan Pecore thankfully saw this happening behind him and didnt turn in, because he wouldve been hit by Steve. I locked up my left front pretty bad trying to slow to avoid whatever was going to happen next, thankfully they both were able to get back on track right away. I talked to Steve after the race and he showed me his video, both of us had our hands straight going in to the brake zone, although my car was aimed parallel to the track whereas his was aimed more at an angle towards the apex, so when we both broke, we were on trajectories that were going to intersect.. and they did. The rest of the race I had to drive on a square left front tire giving some wicked vibrations as it was down to the chords. I had a great battle with Adam Roberts and Spencer Rutherford in that race, both raced me very clean and we had some fun going back and forth.

Link to saturdays video here (uploading as I write this so it may not be up for a bit) : https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Sundays races start had a much quicker pace, coming out of 14 there was no braking and I started in third gear because the pace was faster, I got a good start and passed a couple cars by the end of the straight. I was two wide with Evan Pecore going down into 5 right behind Josh Bilicki, thought we would make it through contact free but I got just enough of a bump from behind at the end of the brake zone that I just barely got into Evan, sorry Evan. He rejoined right behind me and after the race said it was cool with him and he understood I got bumped. From this point on I was able to hang with the pack that was presented in front of me which included Britt Casey Jr, Novak, Hille, Bilicki, Steyn, and Megenbier. For the first couple laps I was able to stay right on Novak and push him until he got around Britt Casey, I followed and pushed him for a while and we passed Hille, and then after that I was able to pass him. I then was able to get on Bilickis bumper for a few laps to stay with the group ahead of us that included Steyn, Megenbier, and my dad Tom Brown. (While behind Bilicki I got my personal best lap time at RA of a 2.43.7xx) Coming up to the second last lap the four guys ahead of me were getting racey going into turn 1, my dad with Megenbier behind him on the inside, with steyn and bilicki on the outside. I followed through and gave megenbier a push on the way out of turn 1 as bilicki and steyn ran a little wide. They went through turn 3 two wide again and I backed off a little on the entry to get a good run out. I got the run and gave Megenbier a good push out and then pushed us past Steyn down the straight, he pulled out to make an inside pass attempt on my dad who I then got in behind on the outside coming into turn 5. My dad told me that he saw megenbier coming for the inside pass and wanted to go for the over under move, so he went to 2nd gear and turned in to turn 5, his car got sideways and I decided to stay close to his bumper hoping he would straighten out and then I could give him a bump to get him back going up the hill to 6. Just as I thought he saved it the car snapped back around and I had nowhere to go but into him. (Watch from 30 min mark in video for this) Sadly it was a good enough hit that he got into the sand trap and got stuck, and now the car sustained enough damage that it needs the body shop. But after this Hille and Steyn were able to get back around me and they had about 10 car lengths so to the end of the race I could not get close enough to contend. I finished 8th out of 46 for my first June Sprints weekend, although it was very bittersweet as my Dad and I got together on track and it took him out of the race, and damaged the car that I have put so much time into building. 

Sunday's video here: https://www.youtube....h?v=XburkpjARs0

Cons of the weekend were definitely that my Dad got roughed up on track both races, being hit by three other cars on saturdays race, and then our get together on sunday. Both of our cars got damaged by that hit. I felt terrible after what had happened, even though my dad had said that it was his fault for getting sideways in the corner, but I still felt awful that I had hit my dad on track, really overshadowed how well my race went. The other part, which I was reminded about right after the race, was that it was fathers day, so of course that didnt help much.

Pros of the weekend were that the car that my dad was driving was showing great pace and that it could run up in the front with the best, truly awesome seeing that happen. My car we made some air/fuel adjustments which helped me gain a little bit of power, and I was able to do my personal best lap time, and do as well as I did in the race with a motor that has shown that it is clearly down on power. My first June Sprints I was able to finish 15th and 8th! I was really excited when I caught the group that my dad was in on track, as that was the first time in a race with a lot of competition that I was with my dad on track and it wasn't because he was pushing me! Even though it was short lived, it was great being close to him on track, maybe next time I could work together with him, I was getting excited too, because I thought it might have been possible for us if we worked together to have a 4/5 finish as were were in a 5 car pack battling for 4th! 

Thanks for the help from all who helped us in preparing for this weekend as well as at the track, it was great to see everyone again and the family and friends that came up to watch.

I wish more people can come to our video watching sessions outside of our RV in the future, its great fun watching everyone's videos laughing at mistakes as well as watching people's good racing. We normally watch after dark and get about 4-8 people, but I think more could be great, also helps some of the mid-pack guys watching these videos, especially if you have the drivers right there to talk to for feedback on your driving and to ask them why they do certain things on track that they do. 

All in all wish that less cars got banged up this weekend, we got it pretty bad but some others definitely got it worse, but overall too many cars getting hurt, I think 14/47 cars had some for of decent damage on their cars after this weekend. 

Looking forward to the CAT Nationals at Road America, lets see if my dad and I can come back and contend for win!!

Tyler

• Bench Racer, Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and 4 others like this

Tyler Brown

Sneaky Moose Motorsports - Owner

2023 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2023 June Sprints - 1st Place

2022 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2020 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2019 June Sprints - 1st Place

Design Engineer - Milwaukee Electric Tool

Facebook: https://www.facebook...oseMotorsports/

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....le_polymer=true

Turbo

Turbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:17

Thanks for the shout out Nic. I made a mistake in front of Tyler which left him no where to go. With 2 to go the group behind, which included Tyler wisely pushing others instead of passing to utilize the draft, caught Danny and I. Bilicki got by in 3 and I got behind him to get past Danny as he went a bit wide. Tyler pushed Timmy M (yet another fast kid) past Danny as well. Timmy went for the inside pass in 5 so I went to 2nd to try the over under. A bit too aggressive on the throttle initiated oversteer and too fast hands over correcting snapped the car the other way which put my right quarter in front of Tyler who was on the throttle intending to help me regain momentum up the hill to 6. My fault, not his. Not knowing who hit me, I hear on the radio "Sorry Dad" as he heads to turn 6. A little solace there, but both of us are disappointed that we did not have 2 cars in the top ten at this intense weekend. Jamz14, you are correct that I am extremely proud of my son and what he has accomplished in a short amount of time. He has paid his dues over the years from observing and chaperoning, to apprenticing with Advanced, to building a very fast new car over the winter, and at track prepping as crew chief on 2 cars. He has earned the right to drive and is quickly showing skills of a seasoned driver. The weekends we spend at the track together are something I will always treasure. Having my daughter there as well added to an awesome father's day weekend. Having my wife, a couple brothers, and friends attend added to the support and camaraderie of the weekend. Congrats to Jim and Voytek on the wins and Danny Bender on a successful weekend. Justin Elder and I had cars to beat but it did not go our way. Justin Hille and Evan Pecore shared videos and laughs after the work was done. Paddock neighbors Evan, Senter, and Andrew kept the mood fun. And the booze cruise on Elkhart Lake with Caveman and Adam is worthy of a post of it's own.....   

Tom Brown

• Dave Cox, Jim Drago, FTodaro and 6 others like this

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

Tom, you have done a hell of a job as a parent.

• Jim Drago and tylerbrown like this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99

Tom, you have done a hell of a job as a parent.

Yes he has!  And In all seriousness I think Tyler may have been a pretty good dad to Turbo also!  

• Jim Drago, tylerbrown and MotoFusi like this

K. Webb