Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

Danny,

Where on track did the crash occur? Which curbing did the launch?  We(NASA  Northeast) will be back there in Aug for a pre-Championships test and tune event.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Danny,

Where on track did the crash occur? Which curbing did the launch?  We(NASA  Northeast) will be back there in Aug for a pre-Championships test and tune event.

Dave, as you come up the hill from T2 and make your way left through the esses, on the far right of the track, in an area allowed for runoff, there is a 6" tarmac curb.

Leland is a true gentleman, and very graciously allowed me to post the video of the incident in order that we might all learn from it and also make improvements to the track. At 1:11 in the slow motion segment you can clearly see the curb that launches him. had his car been lighter, or less compliant suspension, it is absolutely feasible that he could have cleared the ARMCO and land in amongst the spectators. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Number:14

After many laps there, I have never noticed that curbing!!

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:PA
  • Car Number:44

What a weekend!  I'm thinking I may have just set a record today by winning a Majors race on 10 heat cycle tires (excluding rovals)

The Track - The pavement is incredibly smooth and in turn very easy on tire wear.  There is SOOOO much grip that it became clear on the test day when I scuffed tires and went 3/4 of a second slower that fresh rubber was not the way to go.  With so many high compression corners, the car binds up too much from mid corner off and we just don't have enough horsepower to overcome the grip.  

Practice/Qual - Conditions were optimal Friday morning during practice and I was able to lay down a 2:14.7 by myself.  There was also a bit of a tail wind down the back straight in that session which turned into a headwind for the rest of the weekend.  Given the heat and wind direction I couldn't get back into the 14's after that.  

Race 1 - Ralle, staring beside me on the front row in his 1.6, missed the 2-3 shift on the start and fell back a number of spots.  I was immediately able to break away started clicking off very consistent lap times.  A few laps later, in my mirror, I could see Ralle had recovered and was battling Sellin for second.  This allowed me to gap them even more.  Unfortunately the race had to end under full course yellow.  

Race 2 - We took the green flag and my battle with the handling on my car started in the very first turn.  I bobbled and chased the car onto the exit curbing a bit allowing 3-4 cars to run up my inside.  Henderson picked me up in the esses and I got back to third by the bus stop.  I took second back under braking in the laces and got a killer run through the toe to pull on Sellin and retake the lead under braking in the heel.  I could tell right away my car felt off from every other session.  It felt like something on my right rear had broken because I was snapping loose in the bus stop, laces, and turn 10 - thinking it was tires but we're going to dig deeper.    Despite the poor handling, I started pulling Sellin until a full course yellow came out a few laps into the race.  We went back to green and he'd exit the bus stop on my bumper every lap.  I'd pull him from the toe all the way through turn 1 and get just far enough ahead that the he couldn't suck up to me before the bus stop.  Finally there was a lap where we were locked together exiting turn 1.  He made a move entering the bus stop and the roles were reversed.  He would pull me through the bus stop and I'd spend until the start/finish line catching him again.  I saw Elivan tracking us down and figured we'd be able to maintain that gap working together with me pushing.  On the second to last lap I noticed Elivan was getting close.  Entering the last lap the gap between me, Sellin, and Elivan was an equal 3-4 car lengths.  Exiting turn 1 I backed up to Elivan and locked together we blew past Sellin at the top of the esses.  Elivan bobbled exiting the bus stop and allowed me to pull a gap on both of them.  At that point I realized I just needed to be clean for a few more corners.  The timing and strategy worked in my favor today which could just as easily have not.  No doubt that Elivan was the car(tires) to beat today and I certainly owe him one for working with me on the last lap.  

Final Thoughts - I played roulette with tires and almost lost.  I knew at the end of the second lap, once tire temps were up, that I was going to have my hands full for the entire race and it wasn't going to be easy.  I sure hope the IMSA and NASCAR guys don't tear up the surface too badly.  I would hate to see any sealer get put down on this track (defeats the purpose of the porous top coat).  I cannot wait to get back there in September for the NASA champs!!!

• RacerX, Danny Steyn and Xav like this

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

2016 NASA Eastern States Champion

2015 & 2016 US Majors Tour National Points Champion

2015 & 2016 Northeast Majors Tour Conference Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Tyler, was fun watching you and Selin duke it out until Elivan caught you guys. Great strategic move on the last lap!

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:PA
  • Car Number:44

Tyler, was fun watching you and Selin duke it out until Elivan caught you guys. Great strategic move on the last lap!

Thanks Danny!  Again, absolutely hated to not have you in the race today.  Strategy was about my only play...I certainly lost the handle on my car.  

Everyone, my live stream can be played back here.  My car actually doesn't look too unsettled in this video but I'll be uploading my drivers-eye cam later this week which should be entertaining.  

• RacerX likes this

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

2016 NASA Eastern States Champion

2015 & 2016 US Majors Tour National Points Champion

2015 & 2016 Northeast Majors Tour Conference Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

After many laps there, I have never noticed that curbing!!

Me neither, and I Doubt that anyone foresaw a car heading their at speed and becoming airborne. Took them almost 3 hours to repair the ARMCO.

Having watched a lot of NASCAR over the years, it's been interesting to see where they have had to install Safety Barrier, sometimes only after a car took a wild ride to an unexpected section of the wall. Also INDY CAR's understanding of parts being grabbed and ripped off by safety fence and the massive deceleration caused by them

Danny

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
That video is scary. One of the reasons that I hate the multi class racing. I have said to others many times before, I don't like racing STL less being in a STL car. I think at sometimes it isn't even worse for SM front runners running their SM cars in STL as we aren't used to looking back etc. I was very frustrated at Watkins racing my STL Miata as my car "looked" like a SM to many in their mirrors and the closing rate wa crazy.

It looked in the video that Leland was moving right for the passing car and didn't expect to be passed on both sides. Not sure I would have expected it either. Just a terrible situation all around. I had no idea this was as bad as it was.

Prayers for Leland and his family.
  • DrDomm likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

That video is scary. One of the reasons that I hate the multi class racing. I have said to others many times before, I don't like racing STL less being in a STL car. I think at sometimes it isn't even worse for SM front runners running their SM cars in STL as we aren't used to looking back etc. I was very frustrated at Watkins racing my STL Miata as my car "looked" like a SM to many in their mirrors and the closing rate wa crazy.

Jim, we are spoiled in SM and SRF, where we can drive mm off the bumper in front if any of the top 15 drivers and have TOTAL confidence in what they are going to do. This is most definitely not the case in muticlass racing (nothing to do with the video).

My initial incentive in purchasing a full on STL car was to get out of the kill zone where we Spec Miata drivers often find ourselves mired with fast straight line cars that park in the corners and are often unpredictable. While the new STL car now allows me to run near the front in STL, the unanticipated consequence is that I am now mired in amongst even more unpredictable T2 drivers in Vettes, Mustangs etc.

Some of the multi-class close shaves the past two weekends at Road America and Watkins Glen have also given me pause to reconsider. When I get time I will put together an edited highlight reel of what I experienced

Danny

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Jim, we are spoiled in SM and SRF, where we can drive mm off the bumper in front if any of the top 15 drivers and have TOTAL confidence in what they are going to do. This is most definitely not the case in muticlass racing (nothing to do with the video).

My initial incentive in purchasing a full on STL car was to get out of the kill zone where we Spec Miata drivers often find ourselves mired with fast straight line cars that park in the corners and are often unpredictable. While the new STL car now allows me to run near the front in STL, the unanticipated consequence is that I am now mired in amongst even more unpredictable T2 drivers in Vettes, Mustangs etc.

Some of the multi-class close shaves the past two weekends at Road America and Watkins Glen have also given me pause to reconsider. When I get time I will put together an edited highlight reel of what I experienced

I experienced many of the same scenarios with my STL car.. My thinking was always I would rather be the windshield than the bug.  Not as many issues with the faster cars at that point though. I went the other way with the T4 car.. But I have not raced in many crowded fields.  I just did the bare minimun to qualify. 

This problem is not going away, the speed and talent differentials ( not specific to this video BTW) are a REAL problem. This is a recipe for disaster IMO. Why we see more SM carnage in STL than we see in SM IMO. To your comment about SM and SRF being spoiled.. Exactly! Many, myself including are looking for SM in a faster class or maybe just a little different. After dipping in the waters of a ffew different classes, nothing has come close. We are in the best class IMO.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Danny

Did the car land on its wheels or roll?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

On Sm/STL crossover...

Looking at it from STL car or faster car perspective as a friend who races in the other car classes rightfully pointed out to me by text..

(Not commentary towards video)

We also should realize that many who cross with Sm are looking for more track time and are not as experienced as many front rnners in Sm, they are often Very unpredictable.  They often race cars regardless of the class designation which drives most crazy. We ( SM) are the cars ccrossing over into their race, we need to be very aware of the speed differentials.  

Also many of these cars weigh 3200 lbs plus and are way faster.. We are spoiled with cars that we can navigate with pin point accuracy for the most part.. Not so easy with a car that weighs 3500 lbs traveling 50 mph faster.   These cars simply dont handle as our Sm cars do, yet we ( myself included) expect them too. Some FWd, some heavy RWD etc. I had minor contact with a car in a T class at COTA, a friend who is a good driver no less. I asked him wth he was doing way out there? His answer caught me off guard, but made sense.. If I could get the car there I would.  Physics takes over at some point and we do need to realize we have probably the best handling cars of any race we are in.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I hate running STL in my SM, but did it just to get track time.

I don't know Leland, but know the people at Flatout.  I hope he recovers quickly and completely.

I felt the whole weekend had too many incidents in SM/STL.  Racing there for the 1st time since my significant contact with the armco in 2014, I was a bit timid and conservative.  Still, I was nearly taken out 3-4 times by overly aggressive driving back in the pack.  If I can figure out a way to efficiently edit some of the video, I'll post it.

Considering the gravity of Leland's accident, it's very tough to post opinions on how those types of incidents can be avoided.

(And why is there a launching pad before that armco!!!?)

• Jim Drago likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
"It looked in the video that Leland was moving right for the passing car and didn't expect to be passed on both sides. Not sure I would have expected it either."

∆ this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

Lelend is in good spirits, but has 9 bone breaks & fractures, including pelvis & ribs & collarbone.

Definitely upsetting to hear about anyone getting injured.  Accidents, mechanical failures, etc., will occur and it’s wise to learn what we can from them.  From the injuries, makes me wonder about the seat / harness type and its mounting, installation etc., can anything be improved / learned?   

Best wishes to Leland on his recovery  :thumbsup:

Toby Linder