DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

My intention was not to point fingers...I'm just as guilty of doing some stupid things in the past.  My point is that while we all work on improving lap times, we also need to work on safe driving (which sometimes compromises our lap time).  Analyzing and discussing how things could have been different is the only way to do that.

On another note, I commented on the Miata not following the racing line into turn 2.  I wonder if the driver pointed the BMW to go by on the inside.  

• Jim Drago likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

Danny's balls don't interest me in the least.......................

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

The comments were interesting on the Jalopnik post.  My favorite was the "multiple time GT3 record holder"  coming right out and blaming Danny for the 100% fault.  I'm sure in GT3 he hasn't done anything like that because he never actually races close with anybody in that class! 

I personally think there is some level of blame to be placed on all three drivers, as in almost every situation.  I'm sure it was avoidable in some sense, but it is not my place or intention to point at anybody. It is pretty easy to play Monday morning quarterback.  In the video, it looks like it happened so fast and the cars slowed down so much in a short distance, that I don't think Danny saw that coming and slowed down as much as he could.  It looked fast in the video, but I am sure it happened way faster in the car.  I think many of us would have done the same thing as he did and just kept our racing line and stay in the gas.  You can tell Danny instantly felt bad about it, as I would have too.  

I have never been to the Glen, so I have no idea what the room is inside/outside of the track, but it would be really nice if they put some runoff room on these tight corners instead of walls.  That curbing he launched from seems unnecessary, but like with anything, sometimes you don't know something is unsafe until something bad happens.

I really hate to see people get hurt like this doing what they love.  I have never met Leland, but I hope he recovers very quickly and hops back in the driver seat soon! 

• Michael Novak and M.Tanz like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99

Everyone has an opinion, even me, I just choose not to share it here as it will never help repair the guys injuries or his wadded up car.  It is a disservice for any of us to armchair quarterback after the fact.

Personally I beleive there are things that the crashed driver could have and would have done differenlty in hind sight and I am sure danny sees many things he could and would change if he has this to do all over agaiin, so I am sure all have learned something in this process already!  Hopefully the things learned can be transfered to the next real life situation, but can it in the heat of the moment I am not so sure...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Since I race in a class, ASedan, that has been grouped with much faster (GT1, etc.) cars and, at other times with SM and other slower classes, I might comment.   I never turn in without checking both mirrors when I know that there are GT 1 cars that may be overtaking me.  This is especially true when I am way off of the apex.  At the same time, I am extremely careful making a move on a slower car, especially when it is a practice or Q session.  When you catch slower cars at the wrong spot the lap is a wash out for time, anyway. 

Dennis Valet

Dennis Valet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Region:NYR

Part of the consideration is the area on the track that the incident occurred. For anyone that has driven at the Glen, going two wide up the esses is uncomfortable enough to begin with. I can honestly say that I would be very surprised and likely very upset if someone came up behind me and made it three wide during qualifying while I was already being passed on the left. 

Yes, you should always check your mirrors while being passed, but when a driver comes up on cars two wide in the esses and the options are going three wide to preserve a qualifying lap or lifting a little bit to not force the issue, the latter should ALWAYS be encouraged by the members of this class. 

I do believe it was a racing incident, but it was a racing incident that was compelled by the overtaking car who put all three cars in a very dangerous situation because he didn't want to sacrifice a qualifying lap in a session that is really just extra track time for SM drivers. 

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I do believe it was a racing incident, but it was a racing incident that was compelled by the overtaking car who put all three cars in a very dangerous situation because he didn't want to sacrifice a qualifying lap in a session that is really just extra track time for SM drivers. 

Just in case, before someone jumps on you, Lelan was in SM and Danny was in STL.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

It's laughable that folks are using "racing incident" to describe something that happened in qualifying.

• DrDomm likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:46

Just in case, before someone jumps on you, Lelan was in SM and Danny was in STL.

Before anyone jumps on you...Leland was in an SM that was running STL...as was I.  Danny was in his true STL MX5.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Ever considered joining the SCCA stewards program?

It's laughable that folks are using "racing incident" to describe something that happened in qualifying.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Ever considered joining the SCCA stewards program?

I lack the hunger for power that seems to drive many volunteers.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

So, your satisfied trying to effect change by posting on internet forums?

• MotoFusi likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Before anyone jumps on you...Leland was in an SM that was running STL...as was I.  Danny was in his true STL MX5.

^ Semantics, speed/handling was/is all SM. :bigsquaregrin:

• DrDomm likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Number:98

Where was the three wide happening?

The BMW was clear the Miata and the contact was after.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Rob, that is kind crappy even for you :(
  • High Chair and MotoFusi like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
HOA folks gonna HOA.

Not saying they all suffer from it, but a good chunk do.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Look at Peter. I said something critical about a stewards call and he's reacting poorly to a dissenting opinion. Makes my point for me.

Edit: This reminds me of certain SMAC members reacting badly to criticism.  If folks can't handle reading opposing viewpoints, they probably shouldn't have taken on the responsibility of making decisions to begin with.

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

HOA folks gonna HOA.

Not saying they all suffer from it, but a good chunk FEW do.

FTFY

In my experience I came across some folks that certainly are on an ego trip, but I believe that's the exception rather than the rule. Even when we disagreed on which direction to head, I always remembered they are just as passionate about doing things right as I am.

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Yes, let's look at Peter.  Exactly what in my "reacting" qualifies as "poorly"?  That I suggested an interpretation of the Watkins Glen crash that differs from your opinion?  That I made light of your comments about food?  That I suggested you consider joining the stewards program?  That I made note of your preference for making internet forum comments?  What, in any of that, indicates a power trip on my part?

Look at Peter. I said something critical about a stewards call and he's reacting poorly to a dissenting opinion. Makes my point for me.

Edit: This reminds me of certain SMAC members reacting badly to criticism.  If folks can't handle reading opposing viewpoints, they probably shouldn't have taken on the responsibility of making decisions to begin with.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Yes, let's look at Peter.  Exactly what in my "reacting" qualifies as "poorly"?  That I suggested an interpretation of the Watkins Glen crash that differs from your opinion?  That I made light of your comments about food?  That I suggested you consider joining the stewards program?  That I made note of your preference for making internet forum comments?  What, in any of that, indicates a power trip on my part?

D'oh.   "This steward sees it as a racing incident"  "This" meaning you, not "this" meaning the steward at the glen.  I don't think you had your steward flair up when I read that so I read the meaning differently.

I was teeing off on what I understood to be a bad decision by the steward at the glen (that I thought was eating shrimp), not trying to single you out for your opinion given in a non-official capacity.  (or your dinner, haha)

Sorry for the confusion.

All that said, I still think you're way wrong about the "racing incident" part ;) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users