JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:48

Dave -  I left that out on my post.   

Congratulations to Voytek for the Northern Conference Championship, it was a tight battle! 

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

A quick recap from a very tired old guy :)

First, thanks to all the locals for convincing me to come. It was further than I wanted to drive, but I promised Hille and Novak if they came to Hallett I would come to Grattan. I really enjoyed the track, but let me tell you it is beyond tiring and physical.

Congrats to Tyler on the win Sunday and the Points Championship

Congrats to Max, with the confidence he has found this year, he will be a tough guy to beat for a long time

Congrats to Justin and Jordan for strong weekends.. Justin has been a thorn for awhile :) Jordan is going to possibly surprise a few as he is a talented driver and he is on it. Congrats on the new Track record as well.

Congrats to Voytek on the conference title

My weekend was good, I actually feel like I picked up the track very well, but Tyler and Max always seemed a session or two ahead, Jordan and Justin just seemed completely out of reach. To think we all ran the same times yesterday is crazy.  We needed to start again this morning as I think we were all finally there,  but I dont think I had the energy :)  I had the track record for awhile, I think most did and Jordan ended up with it at the end.  I got to 4th.. but I was literally sucking wind in the car. I was wore out.. By far the most tired I have EVER been getting out of a race car, even more so than 90 min stint in Atlanta enduros. I would go back to the track, it was a blast, especially once I came to grips with it.

I want to thank Justin and Jordan for helping me with a few issues learning the track, after watching 3 minutes of video.. I realized a few things I was doing ( over driving) and I was real close for Sun qualifying.. And then watching Max on track I realized I was just missing the hair pin a little and corrected that for the race and I was there.  It was satisying to get to race pace at that track as I struggled to get there. The track really is like no other I have raced and it is really fun. 

After the race, I talked with Stearns and said with this dam knee and no cardio... I was too tired to do much at  the end of the race.. Erik has been training for triathalons and doing his first full iron man in a few weeks.. He said, you would think this would be easy for me.. I am wiped out too, so I didnt feel as bad. I think the track is just an ass kicker!

Good luck to all headed to Watkins... See the rest of you at Mid Ohio.. been a fun year...  maybe we race the ARRC this year since they split us up?  BTW yesterdays race was tooth and nails and intense as hell, but zero contact at the front! Nice job guys!  

• FTodaro, Danny Steyn, Michael Novak and 4 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:PA
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:44

Coming into the weekend Jim was the only one within reach of the National Points title.  Just as I did last year with Hille at MIS, I decided to make the long drive out to race head to head for it.  We clinched it on Saturday given Jim's finishing position.  

Max is impressive on and off the track in his youth and will be a force to be reckon with regardless of what series he is in.   Justin is a talented and fierce competitor who deserves to always be named in the potential winners conversations.  Best of luck to both of these guys at Mid-O.  Between Justin, Max, and Carter - these three will be tough to beat and I'm sure will put on a hell of a show at the front.  

I said this after each of the last five races in succession but THAT was the most intense race I've had in a very long time.  HUGE props to Justin and Max for keeping it CLEAN.  We did not touch once in all of the swapping and passing we did.  I felt a level of RESPECT on track that will be clearly visible to anyone watching onboard camera footage.  

I bobbled in turn one on lap two while in the lead and Max got around me.  We agreed before the race to push each other to open up a gap, so I stuck behind him for many laps pushing him where I could.  I was having trouble in the race getting out of the hairpin and just couldn't stay close enough to push the gap open on the front straight.  Eventually Justin caught us and got around me.  Again, I was happy pushing just to stay in the fight knowing it was a long race with many opportunities for others to make mistakes.  Max ran wide in the hairpin toward the end of the race and this time I got a great run out glued to Justin's bumper.  We went two wide through the last corner dip which was a bit sketchy.  I pushed Justin past Max to a point where he was ahead and I was beside Max on the inside of turn one.  Justin over cooked turn one and ran wide on exit leaving the door open for me to retake the lead.  From there it was all about playing DEFENSE as I knew laps were winding down.  Each lap I ran down the right side of the front straight forcing Max to attempt an outside pass in turn one.  The grip just wasn't there on the outside to be able to run two wide and I knew I could hold Max off for the rest of the lap.  On the last lap Jordan and Max started battling behind me which allowed me to open up a comfortable gap.  From there I knew I just needed to keep it on the track and we'd get our 8th win of the season.

Everyone is spot on about the track.  It is an absolute blast with some unique corners I don't think exist anywhere else in the world.  That being said, it is a WORKOUT.  The core, shoulder, and forearm strength it takes to run 24 laps at 10/10ths is beyond anything I've experienced in SM.  I'm not sure when I'll be back but the track is certainly near the top of my list of favorite layouts.  

Great to meet Dave W and Voytek this weekend.  Congrats to them on the Championship.  Congrats to Justin again for the win on Saturday and Jordan for resetting his lap record on Sunday.    

I'll see some of you at the Glen in a month!

• Danny Steyn, Michael Novak, JRHille and 2 others like this

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

2016 NASA Eastern States Champion

2015 & 2016 US Majors Tour National Points Champion

2015 & 2016 Northeast Majors Tour Conference Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Congrats to Tyler Kicera, on his second-consecutive Nationwide Points Championship and Northeast Conference Championship!!
J~

So was this all correct or just some parts ^^ ??

I got it from here.
http://www.scca.com/...raps-at-grattan
Tyler Kicera, of Manheim, Pennsylvania, punctuated a season that included his second-consecutive Nationwide Points Championship and Northeast Conference Championship with a win in Spec Miata. Kicera had an early off and fell back fifth, but stayed in the lead pack as 16-year old Max Nufer, of Glencoe, Missouri, led the way for 16 laps. On lap 18, Kicera helped Justin Hille move to the lead on the front straight, but Hille went wide in Turn One, allowing Kicera through to the front. From there, he held the lead for the next five laps, fending off Nufer’s final charge to take the win.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

JSmart

JSmart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Number:76

Thanks everyone for the kind words. What an intense weekend! I have yet to be this competitive at this level, and all I can say is that you truly need to work for it. The level of competition at the front is astounding, and what it really comes down to is who makes the least mistakes. Congrats to Tyler, Max, and Justin for making the least of those mistakes on Sunday. It's clear I need to work on my race craft, but man was it fun watching the cars in front and trying to decide when and where to make my move. Clean racing and respect all around.

Saturday's race was a bit of a heartbreak for me, but I'm just glad to say that I was able to run with Hille. Qualifying 1 and Race 1 were supposed to both be 25 minute sessions, and having come in from Q1 with a gallon in reserve, I ran the same fuel load for the race. We ended up turning 4 more laps and I got my first fuel bobble right as I caught Hille. I managed to get one run on him, but he held me off and then the fuel starve kicked in hard so I just nursed it home. Glad I was able to snag the record in that process, and I was arrogant enough to think that it would hold through Q2 and didn't go out. I immediately regretted that decision when Nufer and Kicera broke into the 27's and Justin nearly bested my time. Amazing laps by all of you.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to Drago for making the long haul and being a riot to hang out with all weekend. Having never been to Grattan before and seeing his improvement from Friday to Sunday, it's clear why he's a multiple-time champion.

Also need to thank Justin for always pushing me to be faster, and for letting me and the ladyfriend bum in his trailer this weekend. As always, it was a good time (despite one seriously weird encounter with a spectator Saturday night...)

Steve: yes, my setup is exactly as you describe. An enclosed trailer would be nice, but I spent so much making the car competitive that I can't afford one, haha!

• Jim Drago and Richard Astacio like this

Jordan Smart

SM #76

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

Steve: yes, my setup is exactly as you describe. An enclosed trailer would be nice, but I spent so much making the car competitive that I can't afford one, haha!

Fancy trailers don't win races

• Danny Steyn likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

So was this all correct or just some parts ^^ ??

I got it from here.
http://www.scca.com/...raps-at-grattan
Tyler Kicera, of Manheim, Pennsylvania, punctuated a season that included his second-consecutive Nationwide Points Championship and Northeast Conference Championship with a win in Spec Miata. Kicera had an early off and fell back fifth, but stayed in the lead pack as 16-year old Max Nufer, of Glencoe, Missouri, led the way for 16 laps. On lap 18, Kicera helped Justin Hille move to the lead on the front straight, but Hille went wide in Turn One, allowing Kicera through to the front. From there, he held the lead for the next five laps, fending off Nufer’s final charge to take the win.

J~

The repeat Nationwide Points and NE Conference stats are correct.  

The write up on the race was incorrect as I never went off track.  I slipped in turn one and swapped the lead with Max.  The lowest I was in the race yesterday was 3rd.  

• Johnny D likes this

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

<<< (despite one seriously weird encounter with a spectator Saturday night...)>>>>

Was this encounter before or after the bottle of Firepower was consumed during the track walk????????? Maybe it was a Pokemon

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Congrats to all the podium finishers and championship winners!. And thanks to all that took the time to write about their fun experiences at Grattan. It's write-ups like these that make us wish we had been there, and make us seriously consider going there in the future, to experience what you guys did. Thanks for making the posts so enjoyable and positive. Really nice to read something positive in this current news cycle. 

• Bench Racer, Michael Novak and Richard Astacio like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Congrats to all the podium finishers and championship winners!. And thanks to all that took the time to write about their fun experiences at Grattan. It's write-ups like these that make us wish we had been there, and make us seriously consider going there in the future, to experience what you guys did. Thanks for making the posts so enjoyable and positive. Really nice to read something positive in this current news cycle. 

Danny
I dreaded going to the event. I knew the track would be 'fun" as it is hard not to have fun, but it was a long trip and so close before I leave for my trip to Europe. Very glad I went even know the results are not what I was hoping for. It is a very cool track and awesome for SM.  You would REALLY like that place. It is much better than Barber (track layout and fun factor, not facility :) it also has grip ) and you run 4-14 heat cycle tires. Jordan raced on 12 session tires.

• Danny Steyn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Haven't been to Grattan in a few years. Went several times between 2000 and 2005. Slept in rear of truck, showered in the infield men's facility ONCE. Then found what the locals called the workers shower facility just outside the main gate. That friends was a world of difference. Therefore the question is, same infield men's facility?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Haven't been to Grattan in a few years. Went several times between 2000 and 2005. Slept in rear of truck, showered in the infield men's facility ONCE. Then found what the locals called the workers shower facility just outside the main gate. That friends was a world of difference. Therefore the question is, same infield men's facility?

Come for the men's showers and stay for the racing ??
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48

They have some pretty nice showers now :)

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Number:#9

Took two hauls to Hallet to get get Jim to come to Grattan....  But with his arrival Tyler decided to pack up and come out too....  Ended up being another great weekend like Michigan International last year..---Better track though.---(Thanks Dayle Frame and the rest of the SCCA Crew)

Congrats to my Roush teamate and now Michigander Justin Hille.

Jordan Smart , just was a matter of time and finally a good strong motor--nice driving.

Tyler for coming to Michigan two years in a row and getting it done...

Jim---For a guy who was going to retire a couple of times in the last year, on top of it all and as good as ever.

Stearns---Decided he wanted to race in his backyard at the runoffs--nice to join in on the fun...

Max N. for a punk 16 year old ---races and acts way beyond his years--  Should be fast though as according to Kurt he is always sleeping :)

Spenser R. Nice come back after a unavaiodable crash.

Alex, C. Williams, J Davis---Great racing with you...

Hopefully Grattan and MIS will be on the schedule next year and we can try it all again---maybe some of the rest of the SM crowd will come out too.

• JRHille likes this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

NRE

NRE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:MidWest
  • Car Number:27
Novak - Even "punk" teenagers need their sleep! - Kurt

Attached Files

• Michael Novak and JRHille like this

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Sunday's EPIC battle with Max and Justin.  

http://youtu.be/TsE9z7PDVYk

• Danny Steyn, Michael Novak, JRHille and 1 other like this

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

With all this talk about this being a fun track but very physical, I am going to have to pay a visit next season, maybe do a regional 1st before doing a major race here. 

• Jim Drago, Michael Novak, JRHille and 2 others like this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

With all this talk about this being a fun track but very physical, I am going to have to pay a visit next season, maybe do a regional 1st before doing a major race here.

Do it. The track is a blast to drive.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

The track looks like a blast with the roller coaster like ride.  Going to put it on my to do list. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I'll be doing some serious cardio before I go back next year... :)

Grabbed my video card.. no video at all from the entire weekend :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users