118 replies to this topic

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:84
Haaa. Silly children and their endless parity debates. Let's just drive the cars and have fun, yeah?
  • Jim Drago, B(Kuch)Kucera45, tylerbrown and 1 other like this

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

. Let's just drive the cars and have fun, yeah?

They seem to be promoting the fun factor, stress free, comfortable, etc.

I just wonder if there fixing their RV or working on their girl friends car that maybe it's a bit long.

Maybe SCCA should suggest some excursions, Amish furniture tour or something.

http://www.scca.com/...ying-recap-show

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45

Haaa. Silly children and their endless parity debates. Let's just drive the cars and have fun, yeah?

Jason just curious are you happy with your decision to race the NA or do you think you could have done a little better in your NB ?

Like I said just asking out of curiosity nothing else !
You can pm me your answer if you don't want to say it on here to start anything. I have no motives just curious.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

What do you think about having, Arts, Crafts, Pie, Chili, Dancing with the Stars, learning classes/areas during the day and then a little friendly competition/judging at the shindig in the evening?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Frank, you shouldn't have even hinted at parity much less call it case closed!
I thought Jason was kidding about switching to a 1.6, but assuming it is true I still don't see how being .85 off the pole is kicking butt. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed, but I suspect that Jim, Justin and a number of others would not think they had kicked butt with that. Maybe you are implying that Jason isn't experienced enough to be that close without a superior car? Maybe, I wouldn't know, but we've seen new drivers hit the track and be just as competitive very fast. And let's not forget that qualifying has always been it's strength, so I expect to see a well driven one at least that close if they are roughly equal overall.
As for the engine, the head is where all the gains are found. I assume he has at least done the recently allowed improvements? You can run things like "worn" low tension rings and looser bearing clearances but those don't add up to much.
All that said, I'm not saying the 1.6 isn't competitive, but I am saying that Jason's Q times are certainly not settling the issue one way or the other.

Assuming we have an issue :) I think Jason is closer to pole now than at the majors in the 99 he spent the year documenting his build . What does that mean? Whatever anyone wants to conclude, I'm sure it can be spun in either direction.. I don't really care.. 21 cars within a second, three versions represented in that sample. It doesn't seem to represent we have a problem..
  • Armando Ramirez and Danica Davison like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Since you bring it up (some people never learn ;)) Jason's Q times were off by .81 and 1.17, fast race laps were .55 off for race 1 and .87 for race 2. So more or less the same, all else never being equal. Some of the people ahead of him then are behind him now but all within what might be expected between different races. And I assume Jason is still getting settled into this clas so he might be expected to improve. Again, just saying that his excellent showing is not cause to stop watching, asking and collecting data. All due respect to Frank whom I hold in very high regard.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

http://www.scca.com/...86038-sm-qual-4

J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Post up the official qual/race grid sheet Johnny when you find it!  Any tech pre race?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Post up the official qual/race grid sheet Johnny when you find it! 

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1474582858

J~

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

This race is going to be INSANE!!!!!!!! Nobody is allowed to wreck or dive bomb, racing only! 

• tylerbrown likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Now after all this, you only have to wait 2 more days.  :) 

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Thursday Runoffs Qualifying Recap Show
http://www.scca.com/...ying-recap-show

J~

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Nothing short of an amazing grid with so many drivers at their best and so little daylight between them.   Impressive by all.  Gonna be one hell of a show. 

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1474582858

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Been a long long week, what started with such promise really just never came around my way, out of the trailer .1 off Jim on practice day, then the new car just started having small issues that we thought was just setteling suspension, and ended up being dynamically adjusting rear toe for 4 days.  Finally got knuckle replaced and the car is very raceable. was turning laps in the last qualifyer at my best for the week all within .1 of each other and some a couple hundreths off.  That should bode well for the race, but starting p24 is surely not where we wanted to be.  The new car and engine has shown some glimmers or hope so she should be getting close to being fully sorted now!

Met some nice guys from the Desert!  Hope I can catch up to them and do some racing with them, Busk and Powers, both are guys if they were locals I could see us getting into a bit of trouble together.  Always want to keep Busk behind you with his 007 package he has on that car!  Powers I am going to hire you to cut grass for me those stripes you were doing were really nice! :) 

Justin congrats on a great 4 days!  Been telling you that your pro material for how long now? 

Adam Roberts, I have been coaching this guy since April, he has just been a sponge, the feedback that comes back when he pulls in from the track now is something we can work with, His driving has just been supurbe, and his overall speed is there!  He now has a real shot at his dream, and what an invite to the shootout would mean to this guy words cant even express!  Just so proud to have been involved in your development!  Hope you keep me around always!  Seeing you on that podium on saturday will be a very special moment for me!!!!!

Jim, having a damn good week also and is like the only Old Guy that is really getting it done!!! Go baby Go!

Also a huge thanks to East Street, Both Jim and York turned my engine around for the new car in 7 days, and it is real humm dinger!  You never disapoint me, well sometimes a little but you guys are just the best in the BIZ!  Thanks for your friendship over the years!

• Johnny D, Joe (dad) Jordan, Jim Drago and 2 others like this

K. Webb