Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Stuck in reverse!!!

It turns out that the reverse shift rod was stuck. You can fix it by removing the backup switch and manually moving the shift rod back. While this is possible with the transmission still attached to the car, I wasn't able to do it. I ended up removing the tranny, pulling the backup switch and once I could see what I was doing it was easy to push the reverse shift rod back into place. Knowing what I know now, it would be easy to do while on the car, but you would have to have done it once before to know exactly what you are supposed to do.

I now have the tranny back in the car with the drive shaft attached and spinning freely. It sucked to have to pull the tranny again, but I must say that I am getting pretty good at it now. LOL just under 2 hours to remove the drive shaft, loosen the PFF, remove the clutch slave and starter, drop the tranny, fix it and put it all back together.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions everyone provided. You guys(gals) make this a great place to come for help.

Glad to see you are only "loosening" the PPF. It NEVER needs to come out for a trans/clutch, just strap it out of the way. BTW when you get to sub one hour, you are getting close to joining "the club", LOL

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

Glad to see you are only "loosening" the PPF. It NEVER needs to come out for a trans/clutch, just strap it out of the way. BTW when you get to sub one hour, you are getting close to joining "the club", LOL

Sub one hour for removing and replacing? That is pretty fast. I was working by myself which is not exactly ideal with this type of work. I can honestly say that I hope I never replace enough transmissions to join your "club". :)
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Sub one hour for removing and replacing? That is pretty fast. I was working by myself which is not exactly ideal with this type of work. I can honestly say that I hope I never replace enough transmissions to join your "club". :)

LOL, Solo is better if you are working on the ground.
Also, these times are on a HOT car, and that includes getting the car on/off jack stands. Stew at BSI holds the current record and its close to 30 mins! Ryan at OPM is a close second, my personnel best is only 45 mins, so I barely get note! Dave W, whats Bryans best time?

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

E-Speed Motorsports

E-Speed Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
It my have been dropped some where in shipping. The jolt can jump it into a gear that the shifter rod was not lined up with. I see this on street cars a lot that have been hit in the rear while sitting at a stoplight.
Most of the time it is 5th/reverse hub, and can usually be popped back with a screwdriver through the drain hole while still in the car. Your method works too when the trans is out. Would have posted this sooner, but I just read this post.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BrianZ

BrianZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
the best i have ever done is 45 min that includes putting the car in and out of the semi to do the trans. That day we only had 50 min between sessions and glad to say the driver was on time to grid some how.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

the best i have ever done is 45 min that includes putting the car in and out of the semi to do the trans. That day we only had 50 min between sessions and glad to say the driver was on time to grid some how.

+1!

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Using the lift gets you a 10 min. penality, LOL!

BrianZ

BrianZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
yes it does but i will take that 10 min oenelty all day over laying on your back.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

yes it does but i will take that 10 min oenelty all day over laying on your back.

Come on Dude, I'v seen you do a wonderful job laying on your back. To have the strength of your youth pushing the trans up & in it goes. :o
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BrianZ

BrianZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
yea that day was ok it took way too long to do that trans but i guess fixing 3 or 4 other cars in the same time it went pretty good

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
I was having trouble getting a trans that I just bought to slide onto the engine. I spent 90 minutes the other night giving it a go. It seemed like the trans input shaft didn't want to slide into the pilot bearing so I couldn't get the trans closer than about 3/4" to the engine.

I placed it side by side with a known 99 transmission (I've got 3 of those) and noticed a difference in the shifter area. All of my 99 trans have a beveled metal ring with half moon cutouts below the dowel pins that the shifter slides over. The questionable trans has a metal ring that slides over those dowel pins and it can be removed entirely. That's the only difference that I could see. All sensors and associated wiring appears to be the same. I don't have a caliper to measure the diameter of the input shafts but they appear to be the same size. However I'm thinking that they're not because of the trouble I was having getting it installed.

Am I dealing with a 1.6 or 1.8 trans here, because it certainly doesn't seem to want to mate up with my 1.8/99 engine? I checked spline count and my 99 clutch disc slid onto both input shafts.

FWIW, one of my old 99 transmissions slid on in 20 seconds and is what I'l be starting the season with.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

I was having trouble getting a trans that I just bought to slide onto the engine. I spent 90 minutes the other night giving it a go. It seemed like the trans input shaft didn't want to slide into the pilot bearing so I couldn't get the trans closer than about 3/4" to the engine.

I placed it side by side with a known 99 transmission (I've got 3 of those) and noticed a difference in the shifter area. All of my 99 trans have a beveled metal ring with half moon cutouts below the dowel pins that the shifter slides over. The questionable trans has a metal ring that slides over those dowel pins and it can be removed entirely. That's the only difference that I could see. All sensors and associated wiring appears to be the same. I don't have a caliper to measure the diameter of the input shafts but they appear to be the same size. However I'm thinking that they're not because of the trouble I was having getting it installed.

Am I dealing with a 1.6 or 1.8 trans here, because it certainly doesn't seem to want to mate up with my 1.8/99 engine? I checked spline count and my 99 clutch disc slid onto both input shafts.

FWIW, one of my old 99 transmissions slid on in 20 seconds and is what I'l be starting the season with.

I'll bet $10 that th epilot bearing came dislodged and is laying sideways in the flywheel. You should be able to feel if it still in place. The other option is a hose or clutch line is between the trans and the block. Do enough and youy see both!

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
An old trans slid in there with no trouble and is all bolted up and ready to go. I'm trying to figure out what the problem trans is...

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

These will make your life much easier.

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

Cut off a set of PPF/Tranny bolts to about 3" and thread them into the lower bell-housing holes. I used them for the first time last weekend and it turned a frustrating job into literally a 5 second process. Just lift the tranny onto the bolts and slide it home. I think you can buy them new from Mazda for about $6 each and they are still worth it.

• ChrisA and Anthony Ralston like this

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Alan, what is the mm/thread for that bolt?

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Alan, what is the mm/thread for that bolt?

M12 x 1.5

4" is the correct length.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Did you do this when taking off also...?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Did you do this when taking off also...?

Haven't yet.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

mellen

mellen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:87

ok a little confused on this. i have always taken the PPF off and the whole exhaust system out to replace the trans. what are you loosening to get it to swing and how are you getting up and around the exhaust pipe

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY SHIT........WHAT A RIDE!!!!!!!!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9
Turn the output shaft slightly with either the drive shaft. Or we use a cutoff one.. A couple twists either way...
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users