• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

My answer was maybe.

This incident isn't about winning in court.  Sloe made some decisions and the initial consequences to him of each had nothing to do with the court.  

It may not be what many here want to hear, but the first lap contact was a racing incident.  Sloe's attempt to try to pass on the inside in that situation was a poor decision.  What he chose to do on the last lap of the race is in no way justified.  SCCA has taken action.   

Competition requires respect for boundaries.  No rule can overcome someone's lack of them.  Some who don't, gain them.  Some never do.  It can be difficult to weed the latter out, but in this case, the process worked as designed.   

1) So what was your answer ?

2) I don't like winning in court so I do my best to run as clean as possible.

3) the out come wasn't what Tom had hope for on track.

4) Under SCCA he was a long side, though way over so maybe Andy didn't see him, so nobodies really touching my question of racing room.

5) Randy needs to come on, assuming he's not bias. (Tom an assH#$%, Andy's a 8 time champ, etc.)

J~

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

So with Andy's driving, Tom shouldn't of been along side at the 5:14, he was just asking for it, no "racing room" in effect.

And

If the car in front of you loses it, you're not going for it, you're waiting for him to gather things up ??

or just for the 8 time Nat champ ?  He's going to win anyway, right ? why race him. :)

(In this class)

Just askin

J~

Nobody asked my opinion but here it is. 

If you are trying to intimidate someone into not turning in you take the line that Tom did into the turn.  it was clear he was racing to the apex not trying to take the turn as fast as he could have and race side by side with Andy. Did Andy leave the door open yes, but he also chose to stay on the gas and not give room to a guy who was just stuffing it inside with no hope of exit.  Bench is absolutely right on what was going to happen next.  Sloe was going to hit the curb, bounce out and track Andy out and probably off the track.  If you think you are owed racing room by trying to straight line the corner and use your competition as a back stop you get what you deserve.  

• Johnny D likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Nobody asked my opinion but here it is. 

If you are trying to intimidate someone into not turning in you take the line that Tom did into the turn.  it was clear he was racing to the apex not trying to take the turn as fast as he could have and race side by side with Andy. Did Andy leave the door open yes, but he also chose to stay on the gas and not give room to a guy who was just stuffing it inside with no hope of exit.  Bench is absolutely right on what was going to happen next.  Sloe was going to hit the curb, bounce out and track Andy out and probably off the track.  If you think you are owed racing room by trying to straight line the corner and use your competition as a back stop you get what you deserve.  

Fair enough.

Andy didn't need to stay on the line though, as they touched.

Maybe Andy wouldn't of been set up perfect for the next turn but he could of left room.

Andy risked Tom doing a pit maneuver on him, don't you think?, and then were would both of them be.

So racing room is to be given/earned on its merits, it's not black and white.

Would NASA look at this differently ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Fair enough.

Maybe Andy wouldn't of been set up perfect for the next turn but he could of left room.

Andy risked Tom doing a pit maneuver on him, don't you think?, and then were would both of them be.

J~

Pretty confident you know this answer so just write it up!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Pretty confident you know this answer so just write it up!

But if I don't ask the stupid questions then you don't get the gems (posts) like Saul just did about global warming.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Fair enough.

J~

Ah, this is were the fine art of race craft comes in.  If he moves over and leaves room, which Tom Sloe was not entitled to, when Tom runs him off the road it will be perceived by all as a racing incident.  If Tom is bold enough to pit him right then and there, that will no doubt be called a punt/pit and he would be penalized.  He tried to intimidate, it didn't work, he tried to back out, not fast enough and he was pissed.  

You seem to be of the opinion every time someone sticks their nose under you that you must start moving around to accommodate their aggression.  If that is how you race, how many places do you lose on starts to people dive bombing you and forcing their way by you.  If Sloe had moved over and closer too Andy and tried to take a less aggressive approach to the apex then you might have a point about racing room, but he also would not have had his nose that far along side either.  

I have been bombed like this on several starts this season, the door will always close and I will let them wreck me.  They are not entitled to steal the inside just because they chose to take a line that would cause contact if I didn't move over.  

I did move over one time this year, you know what I got?  A guy who hit a curb and proceeded to push me off the track and cost me 4 positions.  Was it his fault for attempting and failing to complete a clean pass or mine for encouraging it by leaving more room than I should have.  

• Johnny D likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Fair enough.

J~

NASA would penalize Sloe for the contact and pat Andy on the back for turning down on someone. You are arguing the SCCA way not NASA.  

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I like your version of racing room.

I was thinking on the pit maneuver that they both spun, Tom pinches and spins and take Andy out too but anyway...

Good points,

J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users