Photo

NASA removed restrictor plate and up minimum weight for NA8 ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Jim is right though. Time to race. Me..... I'll never be a National Champion. So it won't really matter in the end.

Prediction...... the new weight will be 2375. At that weight and no RP, Rob will like his NA over a NB. Hell, at that weight and no RP, maybe Ill like it. And I might even save $10.00 by not having to buy a new plate and only having to buy 25lbs of weight.

Hysteria quieting........... The words "weight bad" softly fading into the distance.................

Well, from all I've heard, it sounds like this is the way the wind is blowing:

1. people think the NA8 needs a little help in lap time

2. people think the NA8 gets hammered on the straights

3. no plate probably won't make a big difference in power

4. no plate and 2400 lbs will fix the straights but willl still have the bad suspension

5. no plate and 2400 lbs may not make the lap times lower

6. no plate and 2375 might fix the straights AND give a little help in lap time.

I don't think I've lobbied hard for 1.8 help, other than being incredulous that the 1.6 needs heat soak fixes and the NA8 somehow doesn't.

• Danica Davison likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Points 3 and 4 above are contradictory statements.

• Danica Davison likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Points 3 and 4 above are contradictory statements.

No.  point 3 is saying it won't make a big difference in power.  However, it could be a small difference in power and that might be enough to only fix the straights when paired with 50 lbs.

To put it another way, if you uncork an NB, it's going to have really big gains.  If you uncork an NA8, the cylinder head itself is still functioning as a very effective flow restrictor.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Hogwash. If it is a tiny gain uncorking it, then the 50lbs nullifies it completely.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Hogwash. If it is a tiny gain uncorking it, then the 50lbs nullifies it completely.

Are you going to be running with a hard top this year ?

Just asking.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

A tiny gain is had by the first overbore. It is perceived by the experts that that tiny gain is nullified by 15 lbs of weight. Re characterize the gain as moderate and your points aren't contradictory.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

You aren't just asking johnny. You are making a point. Make the point.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I don't need to make a point you already know from last year.

So that's a no ?

Your raising interesting points but getting a little off topic if your still standing(upset) on the way rules or rule changes are made.

Have you spoken with Xav?

Did you want to back it up one further ? Was the SCCA rule making process done correctly ?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Ok, fair johnny. Just don't say you are just asking when you are not just asking.

So, on the top, I may or may not run a top this year. I believe so much on the impact of weight on the car that I am still thinking that having the weight represented by the top down very low in the car may be very beneficial in the corners where aero drag is not much of a problem. And as you pointed out, out west we have some tight technical tracks we run at. Take a track like buttonwillow, these changes we are discussing to make the car better at the end of a straight isn't as big an issue as having a fantastic handling car in tricky corners. In spite of what Jim has said, I feel I can defend the inside at most of the configs we run out west quite effectively in the car right now. I also said awhile ago when discussing the top that I like running without a top. But just because I may hinder myself just because I might like something, doesn't mean that I don't care about everything else. I am a believer in the give and take of things. Dave Wheeler can be right and I can be right at the same time.

Maybe at the big tracks he is driving, the aero affect is a bigger concern than weight distribution and he sees a 2 second difference in running the top. Maybe at buttonwillow having a great handling car is worth more than an aero clean car. I am also exploring ideas where I recover some of the aero advantage of the top without running the top. For instance, can I run some of my gauges, warning lights, and switches on a panel that is overhead and mounted to the rollcage? :) I haven't done a deep dive into the rules about ancillary aero advantages of things like this but at least I am thinking like my muse Mike Collins thinks on stuff like this. I can't wait for Bench to get hold of that one.

Here is my experience so far with the top. Running with Becker at the Championship in his NA 1.8 , I did not notice what would be a 2 second disadvantage to Brett at the end of the long 5th gear back straight. If I was behind him I could pop out and contest the inside. If I was leading, he could pop out and contest the inside at aprox the same location as I could. Why is that? I think that I am aero disadvantage so we should see a difference in when we each could contest the inside. However, I am suggesting that with my weight low in the car, I could come out of phil hill in much better shape than he could and be on the gas sooner. Going over phil hill puts the car in all kinds of orientation changes. A low CG car is going to handle that better. And at the end of the day, his aero advantage nullified my handling advantage and we were equal........but not the same. This isn't scientific. just my feelings, thoughts, and anecdotal experience. The difference though is , that I am not imposing my view on others. I am not affecting peoples chances to win by my behavior. I am affecting me and therefore I can be less than scientific in my analysis if I want. Not only that, I am of the belief that limited testing done on the same day at the same track on the same tires , ETC, can be very suspect. You know as well as I do as well as Drago knows as well as Wheeler knows that the track can significantly move away from you during the course of a day ( or come to you). I can go out and lay down some reference laps, come in, make a change, and just the changing track conditions will impact the results. Limited anecdotal testing is not adequate to judge the very fine problems being discussed with the deficiencies of a car that is thought only to need a little benefit. It takes long term tracking of the issue and specific data collection to look at something so fine. And because it takes a long term to do that, I oppose a complex solution to the problem that contains a definite negative affect on the car of adding weight. I am in favor of a guaranteed but moderate improvement of opening the RP up a little bit. No one has disagreed that we couldn't have done that and no one has pushed back on the suggestion that we didn't do it because of $45. Of course I could work this long term data tracking and testing program and then return with all of that to you guys if I wanted to. But I don't. It is expensive and time consuming to do so. And I shouldn't have to. The responsibility to do so should have been on the ones requesting the change in the first place. But even in lieu of that I have made the same suggestion many many times now: open the plate and give a guaranteed improvement and I would be happy to accept that and sit back for a year or more and see how it goes with anecdotal observations from self interested drivers that only fight to improve their own situation, and that have notoriously bad recollection of their personal performance on the track. I actually agree with Rob. We should have been working on the heat soak issue. We could have applied a lot of the processes Bench used in proving it. We could have solved that without taking away from the car or without a goal of making it a NB. Equal does not mean the same and nor do I ever want it to be. Equal just means that we can be competitive, even though how we achieve that competitiveness may be different. IE HP vs handling . Women are equal but I propose that most of the men here on this site do not want them to be the same as a man.

As far as Xav goes. No , I haven't spoken to him. Nor will it matter. It is my belief he adopted this because the SMAC adopted it and he will get rid of it when and if the SMAC gets rid of it. If SCCA reduces to 2375, so will he. Xav isn't waiting around for data from me.......or rob, IMO. He is waiting for SCCA drivers to provide the data. And , if Xav found any value in my arguments about process, he could reach out to me or comment here. Me by myself...... I can't change anything. In conjunction with you guys, we could change this. My goal is to convince you guys that weight is not a good thing and that the cars don't have to be identical in order for them to be competitive. I also would like to have considered that maybe the 99 NB isn't the gold standard in handling and performance. Ive seen some wicked fast NA 1.6 on our tracks. They punish you big time for making a mistake, but so what. I still suggest that Rob will miss his NA 1.8 once he stops trying to make it like a 99 and just goes and builds his 99. It took me all of one day in the 99 to want to jump back in my 97. I love my car the way it is guys. And I feel I am going to miss it when I have to load all that ballast into the car. That is the source of my "hysteria". I just like my car the way it is and have never felt that the car was what was keeping it off the podium. It was me. Just like you guys have said all along. When it comes to weight: pick a weight where an average guy can build an average car and set that as your weight, then stay away from looking at weight if you need to make improvements and only use weight to reign in over performing cars. Weight is a punishment, a performance de-enhancer. There are a plethora of items that can be looked at to improve a car where you wouldn't have to then look at rebalancing the weight to compensate for going to far. Small things that can be done in small incremental ways where this discussion would not need to be taking place. Where a guy doesn't have to be hamstrung for an entire year while we "just drive it and see". Removing the engine mount cups for example. Again lowering that CG just a bit and making the car handle just a tad bit better. Better handling equals speed everywhere, just like Chapman said. Chapmans philosophies translate to all platforms regardless of Jims comment of Chapman never running SM. If Chapman were looking at improving one of our cars he would be looking at what to throw away, not what to bolt on. His engineering prowess matches all here I would suggest. Maybe he took it all too far though and his judgement wasn't as good as his engineering.

Yes Johnny I have gone outside of the concern of process and commented on other things. But there is still a hierarchy of concerns. At the top is process. Next, in lieu of process, do no harm and only add known enhancers. Below that, well just wing it I guess. Hey I got an idea. To improve the 1.6 and the NA 1.8 all in one foul swoop, why don't we add 50 lbs to the 99? That is absolutely just as valid a way to do it but you guys would be "hysterical" over that.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Johnny, WHY of you continue to egg him on. No, that's not a question.

James, seems you like to understand the rules and be legal, therefore no comment from me on your aero gauge panel attached to the roll cage. But, it's good for a  :rotfl:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
:) I thought you would get a kick out of that bench.

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67
Edited/deleted. Nowhere in my rambling incoherent response did I come anywhere near something resembling a rational thought. I really just gotta stop reading these threads.
  • Bench Racer, JRHille and lillyweld like this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Johnny, WHY of you continue to egg him on. No, that's not a question.

Apparently, Johnny only owns a big spoon...no meat, potatoes or any kind of seasonings. And with that spoon he can only stir counter clockwise until he forms a dozen question marks!

Slow day at work James? :)  This line in your short story conjures up all kinds of thoughts...I laughed and cried out loud! 

"Women are equal but I propose that most of the men here on this site do not want them to be the same as a man."

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

For what it is worth, Alex Bolanos is running a top prepped NA1.8 this weekend at Sebring and is running 2:38s.  At the majors, in an Autotechnik Rental VVT car, he ran 2:35s at will.  However, there are obviously variables at play: It is warmer this weekend and there is less competition, so less of a need for alex to push the car. 

I still think it may be too early to tell if any more changes need to be made (its only been like two months).  But, if there is anyone who can offer any feedback/data, it would be Alex Bolanos after this weekend.

So John, any update on this?  I saw the results.  Didn't look terribly inspiring from a laptime perspective and we know Alex can wheel the heck out of the car.  Any more info to share? 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Tom,

I unfortunately was not there, but was talking to both John Wilding (JW) and Alex Bolanos during and after the weekend.  

JW thought Alex drove better, but towards the end of the session, had good power on Alex.  I think I can speak for Alex, who said he felt Cory Collum (driving cliff brown's VVT car), and JW's '99 car...could pass him at any given time. I just watched JW's video right now, and I think it is accurate to what both of them are saying.  No offense to JW, but Alex absolutely killed him from T3-T6 (carousel) every lap. and JW would make up the gap before getting to the brake zone into the hairpin.

It looks like the NA1.8 does okay in the draft, but it has no chance leading.  The car in the top of 4th just gets killed. It also appears to lose a lot of power at the end of the session so maybe there is some heat soak issue there.  Hopefully JW is able to post the video soon to youtube and comment his thoughts directly.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

It looks like the NA1.8 does okay in the draft, but it has no chance leading.  The car in the top of 4th just gets killed. It also appears to lose a lot of power at the end of the session so maybe there is some heat soak issue there.  Hopefully JW is able to post the video soon to youtube and comment his thoughts directly.

I've always blamed the driver, but that sounds a lot like my experience with the 1.8 with plate.  And this was with no plate and 2400?

John Wilding

John Wilding

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:CFR / Southeast
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:126

Tom,

I unfortunately was not there, but was talking to both John Wilding (JW) and Alex Bolanos during and after the weekend.  

JW thought Alex drove better, but towards the end of the session, had good power on Alex.  I think I can speak for Alex, who said he felt Cory Collum (driving cliff brown's VVT car), and JW's '99 car...could pass him at any given time. I just watched JW's video right now, and I think it is accurate to what both of them are saying.  No offense to JW, but Alex absolutely killed him from T3-T6 (carousel) every lap. and JW would make up the gap before getting to the brake zone into the hairpin.

No offense taken at all JD! I still consider myself in learning mode, especially in the new car. Being up front and fighting with Cory Collum and Alex Bolanos had me nervous and making lots of little mistakes. We had a fun 3 car fight until Cory's car decided it wanted to zero out the oil pressure gauge, so he killed the engine to preserve it. Turns out the engine was fine and the gauge simply took a dump, but a good move on Cory's part to look after the engine. After Cory fell off it was a two car fight, my car had the power, Alex had the handling; and ultimately Alex out drove me and should have won based on his talent, but as everyone knows....wins in SM don't come very easy, so we fought hard on the last lap, and thankfully I had more ponies than him and was able to pull off a victory.   

I plan to trim and merge the two video files tonight when I get home, so I'll be able to post a link to the race tomorrow so everyone can see the difference in the two cars. 

• Rob Burgoon and Danica Davison like this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Yes Rob, that was with no plate and at 2400lbs

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Weight cannot be virtually meaningless and critically important at the same time. We have heard from the experts that push back on the weight is making a mountain out of a mole hill. We have heard that 2375 is going to be the sweet spot. We have heard that pulling the RP and not adding weight was going to make the car a clear overdog.

Ok, so I am to believe that adding 25 lbs to the car is going to move a clear overdog (no RP and no weight) that people will run to build into a sweet spot, but somehow adding another 25 lbs is not really a big deal?

This hysterical, naive, passionate, lunatic am confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users