Photo

NASA removed restrictor plate and up minimum weight for NA8 ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Those are just guidelines for when to tech someone harder, I wouldn't read too deeply into them for parity.

True, but he still makes a good point that IMO no one has answered. Why would a car with less HP be considered equal at the same weight? It should be that the car handles better. But if that is true, then no one would want to swap in a NB suspension and mitigate that advantage.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I can acknowledge that the intended purpose is not to be hard and fast number but they did originate from something (anecdotal, facts, or otherwise) and at the time was noted that the NB1 makes more power than the NA1.8 and now must share the same weight.

unfortunatley, just because NASA says it does not make it so :) 

I think it is fair to say most feel the NA1.8 with no plate will make more Hp than an NB (99 or VVT) slightly less or equal tq

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I think it is fair to say most feel the NA1.8 with no plate will make more Hp than an NB (99 or VVT) slightly less or equal tq

So you are thinking that a good 97 without a plate should make 131hp?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I am saying on any given dyno.. a equally built NA1.8 to any NB on same dyno back to back, yes the NA1.8 should be the same or better on Peak Hp and the same or slighlty less on peak tq  That number could be 131 or 105 depending on dyno, which really doesnt matter 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

If you take these numbers...

http://mazdaracers.c...racing-engines/

Haldeman says 3~5 you get more than a NB (assuming more on the 5 side)

Get that flow bench testing going. :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Thank you Jim and Johnny.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

If you take these numbers...

http://mazdaracers.c...racing-engines/

Haldeman says 3~5 you get more than a NB (assuming more on the 5 side)

Get that flow bench testing going. :)

J~

I have a flow bench. I guess I will need to start learning how to use it. :)

• Johnny D likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

For my 2 cents, pointy end prep the car and put a pointy end driver in the car same day pointy end driver is using his/her 99 plus car. For sure I need to do that to backup my dyno results. If the track test backs up the dyno, then I'm curious if I lucked out with supposed must have flow benched accessories. Because my accessories have not been flow bench tested.  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Lucky does happen. I recently flow tested a pile of 1.6 intakes for a friend. His original was the best. Time well wasted lol
  • Danny Steyn likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:13

Very important word there ;-)

I'm just poking at the logic used and how we came to the conclusion of "Yep, this must make the cars equal".

Since this isn't IMSA and we don't really have a good test bed (enough money or time) to trial top flight NA1.6, NA1.8, NB1, NB2 with minimal variables. I would suggest something that has been implied at some point in this thread. Only change one thing at a time please!

It would be interesting to see how many NA1.8 cars are running and where we can really pull data from. In the Southeast (not counting Florida). I have been the only one at every SCCA and NASA races I attend.

I admit that I may have stated prematurely that no plate and 2375 would be the "sweet spot" but it will be interesting to see if we can agree on a logic base to guide the next step. I was just excited with the no plate thinking it would make a huge change in power.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Per my builder's dyno (DynaPack) and without being tuned, my NA8 and no plate was nearly a 4HP increase (127 --> 131HP) putting it "well ahead" of his best '99 (I think was 127-128).

IOW, my NA8 was making the most power he's ever made on a "current rules" build for that model, without tuning and performing any further parts binning of manifolds.

Now whether the rules committee wants to pursue what has been asserted to be a "Frankencar" with respect to permitting alternative subframes or heads or complete powertrain swaps, that's up to the membership to write letters supported by data.

I'm looking forward to running this year with these settings and submitting what I gather as part of my own letter submissions to bring these cars closer to "identical spec" from nose to tail absent aerodynamics.

Edited by Brandon, 03-01-2017 11:25 AM.

• Rob Burgoon and Erik Hardy like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:94

It's time to start the Spec NA1.8 class.  47mm, 2350, Toyo tires, $20K claiming rule.  It'll be yuuuuge!

• Danny Steyn likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Per my builder's dyno (DynaPack) and without being tuned, my NA8 and no plate was nearly a 4HP increase (127 --> 131HP) putting it "well ahead" of his best '99 (I think was 127-128).

IOW, my NA8 was making the most power he's ever made on a "current rules" build for that model, without tuning and performing any further parts binning of manifolds.

I'm looking forward to running this year with these settings and submitting what I gather as part of my own letter submissions to bring these cars closer to "identical spec" from nose to tail absent aerodynamics.

That would indeed make it the best NA 1.8 in the country and maybe the best SM. Can't wait to see you on the podium with it. With those numbers there is absolutely no reason to reduce the weight to 2375. Preliminary speaking, what in the world more do you want or think you need to get that car closer to "identical spec"? More weight?

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

If 131hp was the norm, the weight may make sense however I think that 131 is a unicorn. 

I hate comparing dyno numbers though unless back to back to back. My dyno run in January on a 100% humidity rainy day in Georgia isn't going to compare to one in California. Even with all the calculated corrections.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

If 131hp was the norm, the weight may make sense however I think that 131 is a unicorn. 

I hate comparing dyno numbers though unless back to back to back. My dyno run in January on a 100% humidity rainy day in Georgia isn't going to compare to one in California. Even with all the calculated corrections.

I get your point and agree. In light of that, how should one view dyno numbers from engine builders selling motors? Sounds like I could never validate those claims. Not only that, not sure how they could be confirmed as these are chassis dyno numbers. The motors would need to be swapped into the same chassis to validate. Unless of course the builders are posting engine dyno numbers. In that case Brandons 131 would be a unicorn.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Guys - DynaPack; and comparing my numbers with anyone else's outside of my builder's is futile.

I'm not claiming to have a unicorn or anything else, just relating what the plots he gave me of my own (both with & w/o plate) and how they compared to what he's been able to produce with '99s.

The '99s he builds are regularly 126-128 on his dyno and mine came in at 127 (in 2015) and as a test, while I was on the SMAC**, he did some runs w/o the plate (+4).

As I said, I will be gathering my data, putting together some letters, and submitting them for consideration with respect to this latest change (whether in favor or not - it's unclear at this point).

** this was while we were discussing/finalizing the 1.6 changes and whether there was any support for doing something for the NA8 at the same time.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

That would indeed make it the best NA 1.8 in the country and maybe the best SM. Can't wait to see you on the podium with it. With those numbers there is absolutely no reason to reduce the weight to 2375. Preliminary speaking, what in the world more do you want or think you need to get that car closer to "identical spec"? More weight?

"Identical spec" == everyone running as close to identical hardware as possible minus aerodynamic differences.

Permit the 90-93 to update to all NB1 running gear (subframes, rear uprights, engine, differential, brakes, dash) + 38mm plate.

Permit the 94-97 to update to all NB1 running gear (subframes, rear uprights, engine) + 38mm plate.

To the best of my knowledge, there's not a performance difference in the 1.8 blocks to require a full engine swap so allowing the 94-97 to merely drop on a NB1 head + manifolds in lieu of the full engine would be the only variation.

It essentially is moving things in that way with the suggestion of NA8 w/o plate and the WDYT posted a month or so ago about the subframes/uprights.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Why would you change anything on your car Brandon? I think you have the best running gear in the country for a 96. Especially as it hasn't been optimized or tuned in any way.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

"Identical spec" == everyone running as close to identical hardware as possible minus aerodynamic differences.

Permit the 90-93 to update to all NB1 running gear (subframes, rear uprights, engine, differential, brakes, dash) + 38mm plate.

Permit the 94-97 to update to all NB1 running gear (subframes, rear uprights, engine) + 38mm plate.

To the best of my knowledge, there's not a performance difference in the 1.8 blocks to require a full engine swap so allowing the 94-97 to merely drop on a NB1 head + manifolds in lieu of the full engine would be the only variation.

It essentially is moving things in that way with the suggestion of NA8 w/o plate and the WDYT posted a month or so ago about the subframes/uprights.

Thank You For Your Input!!!

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

I get your point and agree. In light of that, how should one view dyno numbers from engine builders selling motors? Sounds like I could never validate those claims. Not only that, not sure how they could be confirmed as these are chassis dyno numbers. The motors would need to be swapped into the same chassis to validate. Unless of course the builders are posting engine dyno numbers. In that case Brandons 131 would be a unicorn.

You can't validate them. A shady engine builder could enter in a manual correction factor, not tell you, and say peak HP is 140. Knowing the limitations of the measuring tools allows you to have an informed conversation with your builder/tuner on what is actually going on with the engine. 

I think we are all in agreement here that the dyno numbers from one to the other isn't something we should get caught up in. 

I don't have the tools or data to make a case for changes (yet), but I can question the logic used to get to where we are and how to move forward.

• Jamz14 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users