Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

And what do you expect the outcome of that value sharing session to be? A he-said she-said with no evidence to support whether or not the contact caused your off? Like I said, who is calling this in? First thing I want to do if it's for a position that matters is get back to the paddock and review my video. If all you are going to do is talk then what does it matter if it happens now or later?
FWIW I finished 21st last weekend, got the same number of points as 45th, and am tied for 105th in the Supertour standings with about 95 other drivers that have failed to score a point. If someone knocked me out of that position it wouldn't really matter. I don't waste energy on stuff that doesn't matter.

FYI NASA's going mandatory video camera 2018

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Important to note that you need to get nailed pretty good for NASA to consider it "body contact".  Tire donuts alone don't count.

Sure it does if it results in a position change!

Camera's are Mandatory now Dirk and have been for over a year!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

How do they enforce the camera requirement?

http://jenkinsracing.com

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

How do they enforce the camera requirement?

They do it for MX5 cup too. Within 30 min you have to turn in the miscro sd chip from your camera. They copy the files .. and then give it back to you. If you don't turn it in or if your camera wasn't turned on ... then I am pretty sure you get DQed.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Sure it does if it results in a position change!

Camera's are Mandatory now Dirk and have been for over a year!

Mandatory in NorCal but not nation wide I believe.
When I posted the rule above I saw the 2018 date.
That's the rules not NorCal supps.

Check your local supps people. YMMV

J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Bear in mind cameras are not fool proof. They occasionally malfunction or forget to be turned on, etc...
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Ya, it happens. You can hard wire it so the battery doesn't die. Remote control to turn it on. But ya, ops sorry I forgot only weighs better on the other guy.
Funny how much cleaner the racing was when everyone knew they were being video taped

J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

This whole car-to-car contact is no different than a druggy or alcoholic, until the actor between the seat and steering wheel admits he/she has a car-to-car contact issue, nothings going to change. The quickest change process will be for consequences to driver for car-to-car contact issues. When the consequences to driver for car-to-car contact is similar to the consequences to fail to tear your car down, the actors behavior will change in a hurry.

How about y'all reply to the SCCA request for car-to-car action. I'm willing to venture the SCCA will enforce existing rules, doubt the SCCA will implement new Rules of the Road, On Course Driver Conduct 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Contact Impound - Draft Rule

CONTACT-IMPOUND

Every competitor who has had on track contact that results in their car or their competitors car leaving the racing surface (four wheels off), and/or contact that results in the loss of positions on track (punt) is required to report contact impound and fill out a Report Form.

Contact to the vehicle body beyond cosmetic damage requiring replacement or repair of body panels requires reporting to impound whether or not there was a loss of track position or Punt.

Both competitors must report immediately after coming off the track within 30 minutes of the checkered flag. Failing to report to impound may result in penalties and a finding of fault.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I would envision that each driver is handed a form, If they agree as to what and why it happened the both sign one form and turn it it. If they agree and its not catastrophic, that  is the end of it.

If they cannot agree, they each turn in their own form and the Steward, makes the call. and they move on. Its not about penalty, its about education and calling out bad decisions.

• av8tor likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
So, I race at Daytona early May and get bump-clobbered in the bus stop braking zone. The rear trim panel was destroyed and two laps later my Mazdacomp diff goes kerblammo. With no contact impound I'm out a bunch of money to fix my car. With a contact impound I'm out a bunch of money to fix my car, but the offending chucklehead might, maybe, get two points on their license. I feel soooo much better. (Actually I would have been happy if dickhead came to me and apologized)
  • Armando Ramirez likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

I know you guys get tired of hearing how we do it in short track racing but here's another that just happened at Bristol. During the Late Model Stock race, we had a 15 yr old running a car out of a NASCAR shop who seemed to have little regard for others. Finally, after side impacting another driver, he was fined the amount to repair the car he hit. Fine was relayed to him immediately and he was warned if he touched another car, he would be parked. His purse was withheld as down payment on repairs.

Maybe a couple of fines like this by SCCA would calm down some of the lack of regard for personal race zones on track. Points are ok but $$ talk. Of course, this would and should only apply when nothing else works. Our 15 yr old had already had this problem at previous two races, BTW, he touched no one last weekend at Anderson.

• Armando Ramirez and LarryKing like this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
In another case of be careful what you ask for!

The scca response to all the letters etc on contact...

Well the answer was started at Sprints. Every car and mean every car with ANY DAMAGE even as small as a minor tire donut or scuff was written in the log book. We all have thirty days to fix and absolutely not allowed to race Indy with a dented car..

I get the goal.. but would we rather have 80 decent looking race cars or thirty with no dings. We are going to lose many racers with this. I will fix my car as I don't like dents, but many would rather put that 2500/3500 towards racing . This is a mistake... it has its place, but needs a more lenient and understanding approach

Thanks Frank Todaro :)
  • mellen, mdavis and sentercut like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Jim, is this the rule used to note logbooks?

9.3.6. APPEARANCE NEAT AND CLEAN, AND SUITABLE FOR COMPETITION Specifically, cars that are dirty either externally or in the engine or passenger compartments, or that show bodywork damage, structural or surface rust, or that are partially or totally in primer, or that do not bear the prescribed identification marks shall not be approved for competition.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

I wrote up a good number of cars a few years ago at the Daytona Double SARRC.  Most had old, multi panel body damage. Many voiced their displeasure, but I explained that they had little to loose when they hit someone who had a car that met the GCR rule. There were 2 IT7 cars that did not have one single panel or door that did not have extensive damage. IMO, those guys showed they cared nothing about others space.

Yes, there is room for judgement here but at what point does tech call the question? I always raced a car that had no prior damage as did most others. In the past years, I do not recall seeing one front running SM car come to the track with prior damage unless they had just raced the weekend before. And then, some efforts had been made to minimize it. Go look at an IT field at a regional some time. Scary.

BTW, no car should ever have a rubber tire mark on it. WD 40 removes rubber. 

And I believe every car that comes to the Runoffs should have all body damage fixed. This is our show case event and cars should look presentable. And I did write up two cars in prod last year at Mid Ohio for body work needed. It had to be completed within 60 days or their next event after that time.

• Richard Astacio likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Well the answer was started at Sprints. Every car and mean every car with ANY DAMAGE even as small as a minor tire donut or scuff was written in the log book. We all have thirty days to fix and absolutely not allowed to race Indy with a dented car..

I get the goal.. but would we rather have 80 decent looking race cars or thirty with no dings. We are going to lose many racers with this. I will fix my car as I don't like dents, but many would rather put that 2500/3500 towards racing . This is a mistake... it has its place, but needs a more lenient and understanding approach

Wait a second Jim, if they enforced the contact rules this way, we would not be talking about impound?

I like how the under react to some rules and overreact to others.

Edit: I will say that if truly is their reaction to the contact that this makes the lack of enforcement even more of a failure as it punishes the innocent party in the contact equally with the guy who caused it. Maybe Mr. Prill can comment?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

BOYCOTT- the loss of revenue sends a powerful message.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
In a very class move... our Vice President mr pence pulled back on this completely this am and took responsibility for not enforcing it sooner.
  • Danny Steyn and lillyweld like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Jim, Steve Pence is the Super Tour Chief Steward and not with SCCA as per se. Eric Prill is Chief Operating Officer of Club racing. I would think Pence has been brought up to speed on the latest posts.

He's a pretty good guy and very approachable.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I am going to wrap my car to make it look like it has dents and will come with tire donuts on the wrap ... just to watch them think about it

• dstevens, Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and 2 others like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Ladies and gentlemen, the scca.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users