Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

No Walter this isn't Mazda related...

F1 bans 'Grid Girls'

Formula 1 has announced it will no longer use 'Grid Girls' in the sport, starting from the upcoming 2018 season.

In a statement released on Wednesday, F1 said it "will end the long-standing practice of using walk-on Grid Girls," in a move that will also apply to other race series taking place as part of the grand prix weekend schedule at each venue. As the debate over the relevance of grid girls has increased in recent years, F1 had previously experimented with using men in the same role at certain races, but has now dropped the practice altogether.

Explaining the decision, the statement added: "Formula 1 considers the time spent by teams and drivers on the grid before a race as one of celebration, where guests and various performers can add to the glamour and spectacle of the Grand Prix, enabling promoters and partners to showcase their countries and products."

Grid Girls have previously been used to hold driver boards and flags pre-race, as well as lining the route to the podium after the checkered flag. F1's owners Liberty Media recently said the practice was "under review" and the sport's managing director of commercial operations, Sean Bratches, says Grid Girls are now outdated.

"Over the last year we have looked at a number of areas which we felt needed updating so as to be more in tune with our vision for this great sport," Bratches said. "While the practice of employing Grid Girls has been a staple of Formula 1 Grands Prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms.

"We don't believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world."

Formula 1 is not alone in making such a move, with the Professional Darts Corporation in the UK recently announcing it will no longer use walk-on girls at events. The FIA World Endurance Championship had stopped employing Grid Girls in 2015.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

what is the world coming to..  We just fired about 350 girls :)

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

bout time really. 

• luvin_the_rings likes this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

bout time really. 

From the #metoo movement ?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Should be interesting to see what expensive thing they'll replace them with. Drones not to impede the crews on track.

J~

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

We just fired about 350 girls

Maybe F1 can offer education assistance so the ladies can seek a STEM career

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Should be interesting to see what expensive thing they'll replace them with.

Because how can you hold a grand prix without pre-race grid flags.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

what is the world coming to..  We just fired about 350 girls :)

Yep, just plain stupidity from bureaucrats thinking what they are doing is politically correct. F1 grid-girls uniforms were usually tasteful and represented some aspect of the race venues nationality. They weren't slutty like the Monster Energy motorcross girls uniforms. These ladies weren't forced to apply to work a modeling job for the weekend so they could make some extra money. But the bureaucrats think know better and take work from those that want it and take some of the pageantry away from the race. Heck, they need them there, as the races are not all that exciting... "Hey, I wonder if anyone will challenge Mercedes this weekend... Nope, guess not."  :sleep:

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Alex Piku

Alex Piku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Number:77

Oh no, where on God's green earth will creepy old men be able to ogle scantily clad, attractive, young ladies now?!  A travesty!

• Danica Davison and gerglmuff2 like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

https://www.exhibiti...com/grid-girls/

So, I see both sides of this, especially since I have a daughter.  What will this company do for its clients since it seemed very geared to our sport.  (get it geared  :burst: )

• Danica Davison likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Oh no, where on God's green earth will creepy old men be able to ogle scantily clad, attractive, young ladies now?!  A travesty!

Hey !! I resemble that remark, :rotfl:

With the internet I can do better than F1 B)

Isn't the EU not as uptight as we are though ?

Doesn't Britain have a news paper with nude pics in the middle?

French riviera and and all.

TV ads

I guess things are a changing.

Just sayin

J~

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Honestly, leering at women makes men look foolish, or as my gym teacher use to call us, "a bunch of flaming assholes."

Once upon a time that type of behavior was considered lewd and lecherous, and was not the conduct of gentlemen.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Maybe F1 thinks they're losing viewers from country's that cover up their women ? (no disrespect)

J~

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

There is a lot of discussion about the future of motorsports and how to attract a wider, younger, demographic.

Maybe F1 thinks a more enlightened presentation will help?

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Maybe F1 can offer education assistance so the ladies can seek a STEM career

That's a movie I've been watching for 20 years.  According to the latest available government statistics, women are already equally or "over-represented" in every field of STEM, and in total, except for two fairly small line items:  "Engineering", and "Computer Science", which themselves are itty bitty teensy weensy fractions of college graduates and the workforce as a whole.  I'm having trouble finding the primary source data at the moment, but I have it on another computer.  I'll try to update the post or PM you when I find it.

The problem is that the government (and the media shills and the virtue-signalling laypersons on both sides) don't have an agreed-upon definition of "STEM".  When you include health sciences (including mental health), environmental sciences, and science-science (Chemists, scientists, mathematicisns), women are "over-represented".  If you focus the lens on "Engineering" and "Computer Science", there is a clear male dominance in those line items. 

I'm fine with solving inequality problems of any and all types ... but I refuse to support incorrect, or politically tortured interpretations, of the facts ... and incorrect problem statements formed from those tortured interpretations.    

As for grid girls, if women don't want to be engaged in objectification for profit, then I'm happy to support them.  Presumably that should apply to "models" of all types, if we are not to be hypocritical?  Something tells me that women won't achieve a consensus position on that within their own ranks ....

Update:  This is not the chart I was looking for, but the NSF is the source I relied upon for conclusions I made that matched my career observations.  If you look at this table of data, where is the problem?  Must every line item be 50.00% before "we" are happy?  The other table I relied on utilized the number of jobs available in each line item.  Spoiler alert:  Engineering and Computer Science are tiny line items of the overall "Science and Engineering" job market.

I'll update this again if I ever find the source data that shows the # of jobs in each category.

https://www.nsf.gov/...ation/women.cfm

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

That's a movie I've been watching for 20 years.  According to the latest available government statistics, women are already equally or "over-represented" in every field of STEM, and in total, except for two fairly small line items:  "Engineering", and "Computer Science", which themselves are itty bitty teensy weensy fractions of college graduates and the workforce as a whole.  I'm having trouble finding the primary source data at the moment, but I have it on another computer.  I'll try to update the post or PM you when I find it.

The problem is that the government (and the media shills and the virtue-signalling laypersons on both sides) don't have an agreed-upon definition of "STEM".  When you include health sciences (including mental health), environmental sciences, and science-science (Chemists, scientists, mathematicisns), women are "over-represented".  If you focus the lens on "Engineering" and "Computer Science", there is a clear male dominance in those line items. 

I'm fine with solving inequality problems of any and all types ... but I refuse to support incorrect, or politically tortured interpretations, of the facts ... and incorrect problem statements formed from those tortured interpretations.    

As for grid girls, if women don't want to be engaged in objectification for profit, then I'm happy to support them.  Presumably that should apply to "models" of all types, if we are not to be hypocritical?  Something tells me that women won't achieve a consensus position on that within their own ranks ....

Update:  This is not the chart I was looking for, but the NSF is the source I relied upon for conclusions I made that matched my career observations.  If you look at this table of data, where is the problem?  Must every line item be 50.00% before "we" are happy?  The other table I relied on utilized the number of jobs available in each line item.  Spoiler alert:  Engineering and Computer Science are tiny line items of the overall "Science and Engineering" job market.

I'll update this again if I ever find the source data that shows the # of jobs in each category.

https://www.nsf.gov/...ation/women.cfm

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I was being facetious regarding the retraining of the poor put-out grid girls. Improbable, though not impossible, that a young lady who trades on her appearance would pursue a career in science. Something tells me that they will land on their feet.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
https://youtu.be/p6lhekN_hag

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

A friend of mine has a daughter that started modeling somewhere around that high school/college transition period. She's worked with her professors to accommodate the course work and modeling travel demands. She's having fun and making some money modeling. She is also pursuing a post graduate degree in neuroscience.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Any company whom sells media as their primary product is walking on egg shells in today's hyper sensitive world. I can understand why they changed it, but at face value I suppose they are trying to attract more female F1 viewers. I don't think a lack of grid girls is going to stop the current viewership from going to a Grand Prix.

http://jenkinsracing.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users