Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

24 carbotech= 18 g loc...like blowing a feather

Apparently Danny is a 3 legged pedal user...you go mate! :)

• Danny Steyn likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

I don't think I'm giving any state secrets away, but according to this post, @Danny was running 24/12:  https://nasaspeed.ne...s-biggest-fans/.

I drive an overdog. :)

http://jenkinsracing.com

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

After racing this weekend at Blackhawk and paying more attention to how the braking feels I can understand the comments on the XP10/8 combo. It's a lot of pedal pressure to get the threshold and offers quite a bit of modulation range that probably isn't needed (unless the track is wet). I used up these pads and have a 12/10 combo on the way for the next race. Should be fun to try a different compound.

Once up to speed I don't think that 12/10 combo will be optimal.  Blackhawk absolutely eats brakes.  Cobalts work very well there.

• mellen likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
I have been told by wheeler that Blackhawk is insanity on brakes. Personally I have never been there
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Once up to speed I don't think that 12/10 combo will be optimal.  Blackhawk absolutely eats brakes.  Cobalts work very well there.

Brainerd is my home track, but I will always be experimenting (until I run out of money anyways).

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Always glad when you chime in, and even more so when the topic is brakes, Mr. Saul Bendix Speedwell. But after panning most of the discussion thus far it would be nice to get more specific. Most of us are adults and can take it, and the rest can play elsewhere if yhey don’t like it.

Camber certainly plays a role in this and if one person is running significantly different relative F/R camber than another person then your point is particularly valid. But I’m not sure it in any way alters my fundamental recommendation, which is to START with what Madza designed in terms of hardware, and use the same compound on both ends. Then as you say, see what the car “wants” but be aware that there may be a hardware, setup or driver induced problem rather than a F/R compound issue. But perhaps the point I most wanted to make is to not assume that locking up rears under level straight-line braking necessarily means you need a less aggressive rear pad, particularly if you are already using a “softer” one back there.

Do you take issue with any of that?

I wasn't trying to be coy or a smartass, I am quite serious when I say just give any given car and driver and track what the laptimer is clearly asking for.  If the RR is locking up every lap, then you are not using the other 3 brakes to their full "400 HP" potential.  If the rears are locking up before the fronts, you are leaving time on the table.  So DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.  Adjust cross, or throw in an AutoZone pad, or flip a pad backwards, or put one stock pad in.  If your right arm offends thee, cut it off - that might be the only thing I remember from Sunday school.

I'm not joking at all when I say there is no $4 trophy for being closest to 50.0% cross while displaying the most Internet-approved brake pad combination.  The lap timer is God, so just make "God" happy for you, your car, and your track.  One of my best laptimes at Mid Ohio was with 52.3% cross and an outboard RR pad flipped backwards (metal-to-metal). The outboard RR pad flipped metal-to-metal was also how the Grattan and IRP track records were set back in the ancient times.  Ideally, I would have had a Carbotech AX6 or maybe a Hawk Black or HP+, but in absence of those being available at the given moment, I flipped the outboard pad metal-to-metal and improved the lap time and raceable-ness.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Does it make a difference if I turn a PFC pad backwards or a Carbotech?

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Absolutely. The Carbotech pad material will soon delaminate from the plate. Personally, I just cut down a chunk of plywood and shove it in there, but of course it has to be oak-faced marine plywood.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Friction coefficient of said plywood?

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:94

I wasn't trying to be coy or a smartass,

Since when do you have to try? :)

• Steve Scheifler likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I’ll supply it just as soon as G-loc et al supply theirs.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Absolutely. The Carbotech pad material will soon delaminate from the plate. Personally, I just cut down a chunk of plywood and shove it in there, but of course it has to be oak-faced marine plywood.

Sadly, I can't tell whether you guys are serious (in which case, I'm in disbelief) or kidding around.

My next question was whether anyone has messed around with different inboard and outboard FRONT pads to see what would happen?  Would you get the "average of the two"?  Or a bad vibration?  #curious

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Sadly, I can't tell whether you guys are serious (in which case, I'm in disbelief) or kidding around.

This is sad! :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

My next question was whether anyone has messed around with different inboard and outboard FRONT pads to see what would happen? Would you get the "average of the two"? Or a bad vibration? #curious

OK, now I agree with Ron. You need to stop thinking about things and go drive your car!
  • Steve Scheifler likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I use slices of Spam for rr pads. After a Sprint race it's seared perfect for a tasty snack.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Since when do you have to try? :)

The listener/editor half of the equation determines at least 50% of the outcome of the conversational transaction, but expends orders of magnitude less effort than the speaker/author in determining whether he/she/ze/zhe/Spot/Stripe are satisfied with what they hear and/or edit in hindsight.  :)    

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

OK, now I agree with Ron. You need to stop thinking about things and go drive your car!

Ha! :)  Exactly.

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

My next question was whether anyone has messed around with different inboard and outboard FRONT pads to see what would happen?  Would you get the "average of the two"?  Or a bad vibration?  #curious

Ignore the Internet experts and try it for yourself.  It won't be dramatic, so says this Internet expert, but it might also trim 0.2 seconds and keep you from locking wheels when trying to divebomb your former best friend.  But - I would say always do your "experimenting" on the outboard side of the caliper, since we have single piston calipers with the pistons/seals on the inboard side.

Here's how I think about it - if I'm running 52% cross and the brake zone is a 5 degree sidehill … why would I ever want symmetrical braking?  I don't.  I want brakes that match my (dynamic) % cross in the best passing zone, really.  Beware of your earliest locking brake - it is not your friend.  Dial it down so the other 3 brakes can do their full job.  

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Number:48SM

I run a more aggressive combo. It STOPS. But it LOCKS UP when its even slightly wet and pads have to be changed. Lots of time to be made up in the braking zones. 

The key take-away from this statement is that Danny is modifying his PADs and not his brake pedal FORCE when presented with "lubricated" conditions.

Same rate of pedal application, same relative amount of piston force against the pad, yet the pad doesn't decel the car as much with the less grippy compound.

Did I get that right (or at least close)?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users