• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I would guess he also is much less abrupt with initial application of force at the pedal and also less force overall unless he is going WAY soft on compound. On the other hand, the H2Os are amazing.

For golfers, you are describing the equivalent of always using a full swing but changing club to adjust drive distance. In real life it takes some of each for optimal results.
  • Danny Steyn likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

The key take-away from this statement is that Danny is modifying his PADs and not his brake pedal FORCE when presented with "lubricated" conditions.

Same rate of pedal application, same relative amount of piston force against the pad, yet the pad doesn't decel the car as much with the less grippy compound.

Did I get that right (or at least close)?

Brandon - IMO most of the time to be made up in rain races is in the braking zone, and because of slower corner exit speeds, the point of brake application in the rain is pretty close to the dry braking point. 

But the aggressive pad combo that I use to great affect in the dry just has too much initial bite in the rain and locks up really easily. Sure i could start easing into the brakes with way less brake pressure but then I would be giving up too much time in the wet, so I prefer to change out the pads and get on the brakes hard, but avoid lock up.

Hope this makes sense

• MPR22 likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Brandon - IMO most of the time to be made up in rain races is in the braking zone, and because of slower corner exit speeds, the point of brake application in the rain is pretty close to the dry braking point. 

But the aggressive pad combo that I use to great affect in the dry just has too much initial bite in the rain and locks up really easily. Sure i could start easing into the brakes with way less brake pressure but then I would be giving up too much time in the wet, so I prefer to change out the pads and get on the brakes hard, but avoid lock up.

Hope this makes sense

Danny, 

I hope the new folks read this as it makes more sense than 90% of the stuff that gets posted on this site.  Now let the crying begin about having to own multiple brake compounds to be competitive. 

• Danny Steyn likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Danny, 

I hope the new folks read this as it makes more sense than 90% of the stuff that gets posted on this site.  Now let the crying begin about having to own multiple brake compounds to be competitive. 

It's like some other items we use on our cars, it's an option. Spending for new tires to keep up with the Jones is not an option, it's mandatory. Unless your name is Buras and then maybe he has been forced to change his tire buying habit. :rotfl:

• Danny Steyn likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users