Photo

NASA Championships - CoTA Smack Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Only in terms of tech.

We agree.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32
What an interesting week for SM racing in NASA. In the biggest (prize money) SM race in history, $85,000 is reallocated by NASA via tech shed DQ.

Per NASA published statements, the DQ’s are based on the argument that the CV units exceeded OEM and remanufactured specifications. No such specifications are listed, nor is the source of such specifications referenced. Presumably NASA technical staff used their technical judgement to make their determination.

So:

- Jim (and hence his driver Todd) admits to modifying the CV’s. Todd loses $10,000 (?) and Jim and team state they will cease racing NASA because he feels the process was flawed.
- Chris, who is both builder and driver, claims he made no modifications at all and used reman parts. Chris loses $75,000 (?) and remains mum on his plans for future racing with NASA. But he expresses his, ahh..., considerable frustration with the process. (I can guess his future NASA racing plans....)
- After many pages of technical discussion, no evidence is available to show that the real or claimed modifications actually gave Chris and Todd (and others) any more advantage in the race than Chris eating burritos that morning and Todd polishing his helmet before the race.
- SCCA figures out that this is a cluster and quickly makes it a non issue for Sonoma. The group that normally looks slow and ponderous suddenly reflects agility.

Interesting week.

CNJ
  • Mark, William Keeling, steveracer and 13 others like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:56

Why has no one asked for Dyno numbers?

Mine was 119 hp after the race.

What was P1 or P3?

NASA was granted permission to release

• Danica Davison likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Mine was 121 after qual
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I reallllly hope they release the dyno numbers :)

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

What brand dyno did they use? Those numbers look low for Dynojet...

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

What was P1 or P3?

you really had 117 with legal axles LOL :)

• Jim Drago, Danica Davison and lillyweld like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

you really had 117 with legal axles LOL :)

114 per internet experts. 

• Jim Drago likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

What brand dyno did they use? Those numbers look low for Dynojet...

They used a dynojet. The numbers were low and somewhat random IMO. They were doing something where they were trying to match Rpms holding the engine and setting dyno? Not sure why they were doing this. My car according to my sheet bounced the rev limiter at 6200 on their sheet? I didn't feel like wasting the time calculating the ifs' or how much it changes Hp. My car and Todds are about 1.5-2 of each other typically and were 8 off each other there.  Many cars  were not run to the rev limiter, not sure why. ( the dyno was 150 ft from my paddock, so we saw and heard them all.  Again, why go through all of this "tech" and then not do it right? Each car should have had a real rpm input and a:f trace. There are many ways to do this easily, correctly and in a timely manner. 

• Jason J Ball and lillyweld like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

SpecMiataManDrama

SpecMiataManDrama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car Year:1969
  • Car Number:69

What was P1 or P3?

Why haven't the dyno results been posted yet? Does anybody know why? 

Power without abuse loses it's charm.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Why haven't the dyno results been posted yet? Does anybody know why?

Maybe they don't support NASAs (Mueller's) expert claims.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SpecMiataManDrama

SpecMiataManDrama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car Year:1969
  • Car Number:69

Maybe they don't support NASAs (Mueller's) expert claims.

Mueller? Never heard of her.

• Tom Hampton and Jim Drago like this

Power without abuse loses it's charm.

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:31

you mean 

https://media.giphy....3HFvy/giphy.gif

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Number:145

Mueller? Never heard of her.

From the FBI? Isn't he(her) investigating Russian election interference too?

Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Well it's clear now.. They definitely don't want me there :) 

IMO the track owes me, Nasa owes me one hmmm ... 

https://www.nasapror...orts_car_course

• tony senese likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Maybe they don't support NASAs Mueller's) expert claims.

Maybe, but they don't support engine builder claims either.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
At-track dyno testing is one of the things NASA is supposed to be good at. I’ve never been a fan of the idea because there are so many holes in it for determined cheaters to drive through, but that’s another debate. In this case it sounds like there were technical issues which left the results entirely unreliable for SM purposes so there is little point in publishing them.
  • tony senese likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

At-track dyno testing is one of the things NASA is supposed to be good at. I’ve never been a fan of the idea because there are so many holes in it for determined cheaters to drive through, but that’s another debate. In this case it sounds like there were technical issues which left the results entirely unreliable for SM purposes so there is little point in publishing them.

My results Friday were from memory 127/128 and for the conspiracy theorists that was after sessions that did not matter whatsoever..  I was 123 after the race when I would have wanted the 127/128.  I didn't lose 4-5 hp as the car dynos exactly as it left here and I didnt have the reported 6 HP on the field. No offense to anyone in that field, but if I had 6hp on the front runners, they would never seen me, PERIOD (or any top 10 driver with that advantage, not just me) 

• tony senese and Michael Novak like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

FWIW, Xavier called me this am and we had a very good conversation. It was much appreciated. I will keep the conversation private, but perspectives and opinions were shared in both directions.  He is interested in improving the tech process and that has to be respected.  Much respect for reaching out and making the call. 

• tony senese, powerss, Michael Novak and 5 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Maybe, but they don't support engine builder claims either.

1. Exactly which claims would those be?
2. How would YOU know?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users