Since we are in the Silly Season now (except for Cal Club folks who have their last race in early November), I'm curious how you folks feel about a common rules set for what I like to call "Vintage Spec Miata" or VSM.
The goal here is to give the NA Spec Miatas a fun place to play under the umbrella of vintage racing.
My thoughts on this are as follows:
1. Open to all NA Spec Miatas (1990-1997)
2. Current SCCA and NASA Spec Miata rules (difference is largely tire choice). I think we should keep it open to both. This includes the current weight and restrictor plate (not currently used) rules. The idea here is that these cars will be able to race in the Spec Miata class in a SCCA or NASA event in the same exact configuration as they will be raced in vintage racing.
3. No contact (this means no bump drafting)
4. Standard vintage racing 13/13 rules regarding contact, overly aggressive driving, poor judgement, etc.
5. Drivers will understand and respect the vintage racing culture. This is "gentleman's (and ladies) racing" and not hardcore SCCA or NASA racing where contact is tolerated, if not expected.
Anyway, these are my thoughts on a vintage Spec Miata class and I'd like to hear your thoughts as well.
In full disclosure, I'm a Larry who is getting back into Spec Miata. Current plans for me are to race my '97 Spec Miata with both the SCCA and VARA and maybe SVRA.