Photo

2018 ARRC, Its as if it never happened, WTF?

- - - - - ARRC

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

What is going on in this forum when the 3rd most prestigious amateur race of the year is completely ignored as a topic?  

• Jim Drago and tynor like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

:ph34r:

I waited and waited and you never posted. :weeping:

https://mazdaracers....rc/#entry110564

FYI for all the lurkers (like 160)....if you type in the bottom box (reply to this topic) and hit post, your words appear, really, no foolin.

J~

• Jim Drago likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

I wasn't able to attend this year -- tried to keep tabs via race-monitor and race-hero, but no live feed and not even results.  I assume Timing and Scoring had connectivity problems due to the demolition of the old Tower?

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

What is going on in this forum when the 3rd most prestigious amateur race of the year is completely ignored as a topic?

Might be a good question for those who attended the race... I only knew it was going on because of cricket's live video from test day.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

"https://www.youtube....h?v=452XjnaHr1A"

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
It appears like the year of the Steyn is over, as sir Daniel did not win this race! Congrats to Michael Carter, elivan, and james dargo for their race efforts.

Chris Halderman might have won but he lost his tits durring the race and it's hard to win with no tits!
  • Jim Drago likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

What is going on in this forum when what was the 3rd most prestigious amateur race of the year is completely ignored as a topic?  

I spectated in 2014 and the ARRC was not nearly as good as had been advertised.  For argument with Michael and to get something going, I'd say the June Sprints way outweigh the ARRC as a prestigious race. :bigsquaregrin:

• Danica Davison likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I spectated in 2014 and the ARRC was not nearly as good as had been advertised.  For argument with Michael and to get something going, I'd say the June Sprints way outweigh the ARRC as a prestigious race. :bigsquaregrin:

Can’t argue with you there, especially if you look at the depth of the fields in recent years. 3a and 3b ???
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Traditionally the ARRC was the "regional Runoffs", a championship for regional classes. It no longer is, now it's just another event. I get it, they need all the entries they can get, but allowing "Majors" drivers to enter eliminated the regional championship status. Sad.
  • joe varble likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Understand Walter and since the IT classes have shrunk I'd call that a big loss.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Well Danny did not win, so no new thread and no video :)

• MPR22 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I would agree for the last 4-5 years.. But still one of my favorite races and one of the more competitive ones. Its weird.. its competitive, but with none of the BS that goes with some of the ST races etc. I truly believe this is the most fun competitive race we do. 

It was a good race, I missed test day and thought I could sign up for STL and get a dry session and be right up to speed.. not so much. It rained Friday morning so no dry sessions at all until qualifying, so I had only 5-6 laps and hadn't been there since 2016, the others had the entire test day. You can't spot those guys a test day and I was not as good as I remember being and missed the set up a little :(

The race was good, I started fifth, gave Elivan a push at the start and he moved under Danny at turn one to the lead. I dropped back into 5th and Danny to third or fourth..  I was lined up behind Haldeman and we drafted past Danny on the back straight and then his car cut off at SF. I was running third for a bit with Elivan and Michael starting to get away. Dan Williams in fourth, Danny fifth. They both drafted past me and put me to 5th. The next lap Danny went by Williams at 10.. They were side by side at ten, so I was able to beat Dan up the hill and planned on running two wide through 12 with Danny, but he obviously didn't see me and I backed out.  Danny moved up one by one and all the way to the lead.  With two or so to go, we were lapping cars. and Danny was the first to catch the lappers and at a bad time and spun at the top of three. Michael started to pull a little gap from Elivan and I was back another few seconds. So any hope of those two getting together at 10 was lost. I had a 4-5 place effort at best and was fortunate that Chris broke and Danny spun :(  On the bright side the new car came home with no dings scratches and ready for 2019 less Penskes. 

• Bench Racer, MPR22, Danny Steyn and 2 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Good Recap Jim

here is my recap on the Rossini Website

Rossini drivers lock out front row of 2018 ARRC and Carter gets his first ARRC win

The American Road Race of Champions, commonly known as the ARRC, is held each year in November at Road Atlanta, and it heralds the end of the regional racing season. Over the years the ARRC has become a marquee event, steeped in tradition and ARRC wins are highly coveted.

Rossini racing’s two perennial front runners, Danny Steyn and Michael Carter were both on hand to contend for the win amongst a top class field with multiple Runoffs National champions and podium finishers including Jim Drago, Chris Haldeman and Elivan Goulart.

In Qualifying Session 1, Steyn was up on the wheel in the wet conditions and was on the provisional pole by over 3 seconds, but he knew that time would not last in the next session, which would be on a dry track.

In Qualifying Session 2, Steyn managed to put in another flyer, running two almost identical laps of time of 1:42.88, just outside the lap record time of 1:42.6. Carter was less than a tenth off his time to lock out the front row for Rossini powered cars, with multiple Runoffs Champion Elivan Goulart in 3rd.

In the feature ARRC Championship Race, Steyn had a poor start from pole and came through Turn 1 in 4th place while Carter stormed to the lead followed by Goulart and Haldeman. Steyn dropped back further on the back straight when he was out of line and got freight trained and by the end of lap 1 he was in 7th place.

Up front Goulart was pushing Carter to form a break-away and they started to to pull a small lead. Haldeman had an electrical issue and pulled off. Steyn had started to move up the field and by lap 6 he was in 3rd place with Jim Drago on his bumper and they were making a small dent in the lead, but it looked like Carter and Goulart had it made.

Then a car went off in T10A bringing out the Full Course Yellow, and bunching up the field for the restart. On the green, Carter led Goulart followed by Steyn and Drago. Carter, Goulart and Steyn started to break away from the rest of the field and a lap later Steyn passed Goulart and then, with Goulart’s help, moved into the lead with 5 laps to go.

Steyn and Goulart worked together to break Carter but he was holding on. Then Steyn made an error, sliding off in T3 trying to avoid a back marker, and the race became a two car race to the finish.

Carter persevered and held on to the lead to secure his first ARRC win, with Elivan Goulart in 2nd and Jim Drago in 3rd. Steyn recovered to finish 7th.

In the Atlanta Pro Cup Race, Steyn again started from the pole, and had a great and entertaining race long fight with Michael Carter, with Carter getting the win with an early checker.

And in the ARRC STL Race, Steyn, starting from pole, won his 6th ARRC title, ending a very successful year of racing with wins at all the marquee events including the June Sprints, NASA Nationals, SCCA runoffs and the ARRC.

• lillyweld likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Traditionally the ARRC was the "regional Runoffs", a championship for regional classes. It no longer is, now it's just another event. I get it, they need all the entries they can get, but allowing "Majors" drivers to enter eliminated the regional championship status. Sad.

I have a different take.  Once SM went National and NASA started having its own National Championship, the ARRC was no longer the "Super Bowl" for SM.  Keeping "Majors" drivers out of Regionals would only serve to make Regional racing an even more distant "second class citizenship" (footnote ***)

I think it is good when top guys show up at a Regional, because it gives Regional only drivers a chance to compete with, learn from, and maybe beat the pants off of one of the fastest drivers in the country.  But … but … Regional-only cars almost never have to endure or pass Tech :)

***As a retiree from SM that now enjoys "budget" endurance racing, it is great when Sahlen's/Nonnamakers, Randy Pobst, various other Pros, and some of the fastest SM drivers (Buras, Hille, Jordan Smart, Novak) show up in ChampCar/Chumpcar.  The fast drivers are welcome, it is the $$$ creep of the CARS (and tires) that has worried me about racing ever since I finished 7th (Zalner!) in the Pinewood Derby.  :)

• MPR22 and Jim Drago like this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I just hope Michael Carter wins the #mrt24 shoutout so we don't have to keep losing to him every race :)

• John Wilding likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Preston Pardus

Preston Pardus

The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Car Number:42

some of the fastest SM drivers (Buras, Hille, Jordan Smart, Novak) show up in ChampCar/Chumpcar.

How do you mention those greats but forget the SM GOAT?

John Davison owns CHAMPCAR!
-2017 Daytona 14hr winner
-2017&18 Sebring 14 hr winner
-Class A 2018 Natty Champ
  • Jim Drago, Danica Davison and John Wilding like this
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Car Number:10

How do you mention those greats but forget the SM GOAT?

John Davison owns CHAMPCAR!
-2017 Daytona 14hr winner
-2017&18 Sebring 14 hr winner
-Class A 2018 Natty Champ

#truth #goat #realnews #notfakenews
  • Jim Drago, Preston Pardus and John Wilding like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Not my best race - but really FUN to watch.

Started on pole, but missed a shift on the start, dropped back to 7th and then drove into the lead, before throwing it away, trying to avoid a lapper in Turn 3

Great racing with Michael Carter, Elivan Goulart, Jim Drago, Chris Haldeman, Dan WIlliams, Jared Thomas, Alan Cross, Skip Brock and more

2018 ARRC Spec Miata Video

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

let me know if you can see this - for some reason video is not displaying on my screen, but following established video posting rules

Danny

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

let me know if you can see this - for some reason video is not displaying on my screen, but following established video posting rules

I haven’t been able to post a video for a while.
I’ve add the link to a word or sentence with the chain link button ^^

J~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ARRC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users