Photo

Super Tour at Circuit of the Americas (Lone Star Region Polar Prix)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 5,893 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:2

Nice race Danny,

The gains you make in 5-2 and 4-2 braking are impressive. I just hit my marks and controlled what I could and made sure to try to nail the exits the best I could.  Looks like you were struggling 2-3 upshift. From my seat, I actually thought you were trying to roll third gear in a few corners.

This is all but the last lap which traqmate cut short, I'll load it later.. Miine is just raw footage.. FF to 6:30 or so for start of the race

Jim

https://youtu.be/UilABkSxXSM

• lillyweld likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
Jim, so you went out on used rains? That sucks, they seem to lose a lot just from knocking the edges off.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 5,893 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:2

Jim, so you went out on used rains? That sucks, they seem to lose a lot just from knocking the edges off.

I did, but that's part of the game. Shame on me for not carrying them with me. ( that was Sunday, not Saturday, we were all on dries Saturday)

The race Sunday on the used rains was more fun.. see below.. 

• powerss, lillyweld and Lizard Hands like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32
Danny,

I’ve watched quite a few of your videos and have always been intruigued by (1) how early you are in the gas and (2) how digitally you treat the throttle.

But in this video I did not see you do that. You seem to be carrying more speed into the corner and going to throttle later.
Am I correct? Or just imagining it?

CNJ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Danny,

I’ve watched quite a few of your videos and have always been intruigued by (1) how early you are in the gas and (2) how digitally you treat the throttle.

But in this video I did not see you do that. You seem to be carrying more speed into the corner and going to throttle later.
Am I correct? Or just imagining it?

CNJ

Craig - Love your term of going to throttle "digitally" - ON OR OFF - that is pretty much how I tried to roll in the past

However, with the new Penske's, where we no longer have the time delay waiting for the platform to take a set, if I go to WOT immediately I find the rear of the car will step out, so I am going to the throttle more linearly - more progressive throttle input. Still trying to find the optimal balance

• MPR22 and lillyweld like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2018 SCCA Runoffs Champion, NASA Champion, Hoosier Super Tour Champion, June Sprints Winner

2016 June Sprints WInner, ARRC Winner, NASA Eastern States Championships Podium

2015 Eastern Conference Majors Champ, June Sprints Winner, ARRC Winner

2014 NASA Eastern States Championship Runner Up.

2013 SEDiv Driver of the Year, Eastern Conference Majors Champ, SEDiv National Champ, ARRC Winner, Runoffs Podium

2011 SEDiv Driver of the Year, SEDiv National Champ, ARRC Winner, Palm Tree Quad National Champ, SEDiv ECR Champ
2010 June Sprints Winner, ARRC Winner

2009 SARRC Champ, SEDiv ECR Champ, FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:94

Craig - Love your term of going to throttle "digitally" - ON OR OFF - that is pretty much how I tried to roll in the past

However, with the new Penske's, where we no longer have the time delay waiting for the platform to take a set, if I go to WOT immediately I find the rear of the car will step out, so I am going to the throttle more linearly - more progressive throttle input. Still trying to find the optimal balance

That's due to big VVT torque, big. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users