Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Just a note.. I tried a set of these..  Car was run two weekends and the joint is bad on one already :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

I have had a couple of cars come through that had the extended lbj's and had at least one side failing. On both cars the lbj's were about a season old (9-10 race weekends). Both were NASA cars running Toyo RR's if that matters. 

• Jim Drago likes this

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Just a note.. I tried a set of these..  Car was run two weekends and the joint is bad on one already :(

Is there slop in the pivoting portion? Moves/makes noise like when you check for bearing failure?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

UCFBrett

UCFBrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:NASA SoCal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:25

My old car was at Mark's shop when he discovered both were sloppy.

By that time, I had two seasons on them. The car felt a little off, too, in that it was difficult to transition smoothly from corner-exit slip angle to straight line acceleration. I keep a closer eye on them now. 

P.McCammon

P.McCammon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Year:2004
  • Car Number:411
I've seen a few quick failures on champ/wrl cars. IMO the offset bushings are the better option
  • Jim Drago likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I have never tried these.. Just curious, did all these failures involve an impact at some point to that wheel before the failure?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

My guess would be the extra leverage created by the extended portion causing accelerated wear

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

I have installed a few for friends/customer. To me, they just don't "feel " the same quality of the Mazda unit. They are more in line with a generic aftermarket part like a Moog, Mevtec,etc. On the surface, I would have to say they are the best solution to get camber(less labor easier job) than removing A arms and swapping bushings. However after also seeing a few get loose quickly, I know I would never use them on my own car. For bushings, I will try the Whiteline now as I have had many of the ISC turn on the bore(yes, even after installing the screws, rivets,etc..) and they now turn into another maintenance item needing periodic cleaning and lube.

• Jim Drago likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I have installed a few for friends/customer. To me, they just don't "feel " the same quality of the Mazda unit. They are more in line with a generic aftermarket part like a Moog, Mevtec,etc. On the surface, I would have to say they are the best solution to get camber(less labor easier job) than removing A arms and swapping bushings. However after also seeing a few get loose quickly, I know I would never use them on my own car. For bushings, I will try the Whiteline now as I have had many of the ISC turn on the bore(yes, even after installing the screws, rivets,etc..) and they now turn into another maintenance item needing periodic cleaning and lube.

I have been using the whitelines with a steel rivet and no issues.  Tyler Quance is making and selling a nice set of uppers all ready to go with his bushings in them as wel. 

On failure, no contact.. joint loosens up and gets sloppy

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

When you rivet or use a set screw, do you drill all the way down to the steel tube?  Or is securing/pinning the bushing material with the rivet or screw sufficient for the bushing not to move?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

When you rivet or use a set screw, do you drill all the way down to the steel tube?  Or is securing/pinning the bushing material with the rivet or screw sufficient for the bushing not to move?

I am not clear on the second question, but what i do with the whiteline is drill through the control arm and the bushing steel sleeve and install a rivet.

• Jim Drago likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Hold on. I’ve used both but it’s been a few years since I did a new install. Both use an inner steel sleeve just large enough for the long bolt to pass through, and with both that inner sleeve/tube is then pinched tight between the big washers (outboard) and the subframe (tube) inboard. That sleeve then serves as the bearing on which the bushing rotates as the arm pivots. So for both types you can’t drill & peg into that sleeve. The Whitelines have an outer metal sleeve which is potentially a little better for pinning than the ISC, but I used fairly large set screws and still went well into the bushing. One thing I found with the Whitelines is that the outer sleeve being less inclined to deform means that they expand the big tubes on the control arm so if you press them back out once to realign they go back in loose and are more likely to rotate and even sheer a small set screw. By contrast, the ISCs deform which then leaves the inner hole too tight on the sleeve and they don’t pivot freely, so I use a small homemade hone to clean them up after pressing in place.

As I’ve mentioned before, both can lead to binding and/or loosening of the big bolt as the inner sleeve cuts into the big washer and subframe. Bottom line, both leave a lot to be desired so I’ll deal with the new ball joints.
  • djames22 likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Ask yourself: Would you rather pull in the top of the wheel to achieve your camber, or push out the bottom of the wheel?

Have ran the same set of ebjs on a car for over 2 seasons without issue. We run many races at buttonwillow which is very hard on suspensions, with the car airborne twice per lap and very hard offs.

But even if the joints were only good for a season, go back to the top of this post and ask yourself the question again on how you would prefer to gain your camber if reliability was not a concern. Then ask yourself why you use the brake pads you do when the rotor wear is many times higher than it would be using oem pads?

Even if the ebjs wear faster than normal, so what? Replace them. I haven't heard anyone say that they have broken one in two.
  • djames22 likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Even if the ebjs wear faster than normal, so what? Replace them. I haven't heard anyone say that they have broken one in two.

IMO, the "If" is they are not

We have a track width rule. Once you achieve that number it is the same whether you bring the bottom out or the top in, the angle is the same, so is the location of the center of the wheel.  I don't think it matters, unless I am missing something?  any engineers have an opinion here? 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

has anyone actually measured track width per the GCR with both? and with and without spacers?

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Jim, you are correct, angle the same. But.... I haven't blown the track width by pushing the bottom out. Did you blow it when you tried it? I assume not because you dont run a car that runs outside the rules. So I ask again, how do you want to achieve it? Push out the bottom and widen your track and keep the top away from the inside wheel arch, or pull in the top and keep your track the same?
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Now if you space out the wheel and use the bushings, then track is the same and the top isn't any closer to the inside. So we are back to being indifferent as to which one you choose.

So I guess I would be asking why were yours loose in two races but I haven't worn one out yet? You must be driving harder than my driver.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

has anyone actually measured track width per the GCR with both? and with and without spacers?

That'll never be answered irrespective of how "clearly" the process is defined in the GCR.

My previous stint on the SMAC when the +24 wheels were introduced and marketed as "SM track-width compliant" resulted in at least two/three meeting's worth of discussions on how to address this overall from a rules perspective. From attempting to eliminate the car being the variable (wheel offset + spacers + which upright == max number) to clarifying how the track is measured on a Miata, it was a fruitless endeavour.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Not a fruitless endeavor. Smac agreeing might be fruitless but coming up with an easy to measure(or easy to say that it is compliant) is not. What you describe as two meetings with no consensus matches my impressions of how the group works.

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

my understanding is that the GCR spec for track width and method of measuring leaves a lot to be desired, which ultimately means that track width enforcement is not really a thing. 

• Jamz14 likes this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users