• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
But if you want to look at the safety angle (am I required to put that in upper case?) then I suppose that keeping the tires inside the bodywork reduces the risk of the kind of accidents we see too often on straights.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Wouldn't it be easier to spec a toe plate measurement at a specified plate thickness and height above the ground with driver in car using the average left to right side measurement from in front of and behind the tire as maximum track width?  All that's needed is a set of plates and 2 tape measures. 

• Ron Alan likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Wouldn't it be easier to spec a toe plate measurement at a specified plate thickness and height above the ground with driver in car using the average left to right side measurement from in front of and behind the tire as maximum track width?  All that's needed is a set of plates and 2 tape measures. 

Great minds Tom :P (post 21)

• Krusovice likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Ron, when some want to belittle a rule, that's so wrong. If two rules interplay as does track width and tire tread width on ground shall not protrude beyond top portion of fender, we shall play within both rules. If someone doesn't like to play within a rule, write the CRB to eliminate the rule. The only reason for posting metal bulkhead which shall close any opening between the cockpit and any part of the fuel tank was to make the point to those who belittle rules. Danny in particular was not belittling a rule, he was making the point he never viewed tech checking tread width on ground. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Bench, you may as well bring up the rule about running with scissors.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

:hugegrin:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

What kind of scissors? Can you define "running"?
  • steveracer likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

What kind of scissors? Can you define "running"?

For bipeds running generally requires rapid forward motion on two legs during which only one foot at a time is in contact with the ground. Of course you need the correct viewing angle to be certain.

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

Even if the ebjs wear faster than normal, so what? Replace them. I haven't heard anyone say that they have broken one in two.

We broke one at the last 6-hour enduro for WERC @ Utah Motorsports Campus.  Of course with ~15 minutes to go in the race.  Luckily we had a 15 minute and 2 second lead and still won.  Car never had contact, but has had offs and pounded who knows how many curbs over the 3 years they were on the car.  We run the enduro every year, plus a full season (~14 races/year).

• Jamz14 likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Great minds Tom :P (post 21)

Shucks hadn't read the entire thread but yes!

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Bench...Not sure I was trying to belittle anything? Just stating why maybe Know one has ever seen a car rolled through a white powder substance...

Curious what would happen if a car measured fine on track width but then failed a white powder drive by(If in fact we live by 2 rules)? Maybe this needs to happen at VIR to get someone to write a letter to CRB?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Curious what would happen if a car measured fine on track width but then failed a white powder drive by(If in fact we live by 2 rules)? Maybe this needs to happen at VIR to get someone to write a letter to CRB?

Yes, that's what this class needs... Another DQ of a front runner over a stupid rule. /sarcasm-kinda

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

For bipeds running generally requires rapid forward motion on two legs during which only one foot at a time is in contact with the ground. Of course you need the correct viewing angle to be certain.

Actually running requires that neither foot be in contact with the ground during a portion of the stride.  :wave:

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Actually running requires that neither foot be in contact with the ground during a portion of the stride. :wave:

Technically correct but not relevant as a rule, and try doing one without the other.
I THINK that if you read the official description for Olympic race walking (I don’t know if it is even still an Olympic sport) the rule is written more as I describe. Your way doesn’t work as a rule and adds nothing to mine. Right?

Edit: But admittedly I’m guilty of focusing on what draws the distinction between walking and running, not an unreferenced definition of the latter.
  • Tom Sager likes this

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Being a runner...for more than a small part of my life...

Its funny, race walking has rules about what qualifies as walking (and what doesn't). It mostly comes down to always being in contact with the ground with at least one foot. Most of the technique revolves around minimizing the time with both feet ON the ground---as close to running as is legal, or maybe a little gray.

Running doesn't actually have a rule. You just have to go fast enough... Which requires both feet to be off the ground for a significant portion of the gait cycle (roughly 1/3rd) in order to be competitive.

Biomechamically, physiologists use this distinction "all feet off the ground" as the definining characteristic between a walking and a running gait for bipeds (other limb counts have different distinctions and more gait types).
  • Tom Sager likes this

-tch

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Fwiw, from a gait analysis and Biomechamical perspective the airborne component is critical...as this is what sets up the conversion cycle between potential gravitational energy, potential spring energy, and kinetic energy.

What that has to do with ball joints...? Well, I guess I started it. :=)
  • Tom Sager likes this

-tch

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Being a runner...for more than a small part of my life...

Its funny, race walking has rules about what qualifies as walking (and what doesn't). It mostly comes down to always being in contact with the ground with at least one foot...

Which was precisely my angle. Maybe not ideal, but I’m pretty sure I can sell it in the tech shed; I hear they are easily intimidated and I can always recruit you as a recognized expert.
  • Tom Hampton likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Which was precisely my angle. Maybe not ideal, but I’m pretty sure I can sell it in the tech shed; I hear they are easily intimidated and I can always recruit you as a recognized expert.

Not really, ask the guy who appeal the head STR. Of course that's a step or so over the tech shed. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Not really, ask the guy who appeal the head STR. Of course that's a step or so over the tech shed. 

You hit a new record... Not one of those last three or four posts had anything to do with the topic or and relevance to each other :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

You hit a new record... Not one of those last three or four posts had anything to do with the topic or and relevance to each other :)

Jim, I can string all my comments within this post  together referencing other post comments and they have much to do with the topic, maybe in a roundabout way. :bigsquaregrin: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users