- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Lowlyslows

Lowlyslows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
Some pics of the car and progress, more to come.

Attached File  IMG_3008.jpg   32.58KB   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_3197.jpg   38.43KB   1 downloads

Lowlyslows

Lowlyslows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Some pics of the progress. Working on removing material from the car. Getting ready to dry ice the sound deadening material off as well as remove as much of the seam sealer as I can. I also ordered the East Street floor drop pan which will go in after I am done with the above. Just realized that I need to order some jack stands.

Looking at these: https://pitstopusa.c...ategory:1217379

Attached File  IMG_3229.jpg   126.98KB   0 downloads

Getting to this point wasn't too hard, luckily nothing broke! Hopefully I can sell the interior parts to help pay for future purchases!

Attached File  IMG_3232.jpg   117.64KB   0 downloads

I am following the contructors guide and have seen several images of Miata's with the NASCAR bars going into the door. Following the GCR and the guide, I am still unsure how much material I can remove from the door. I have seen pictures of most of the inner portion of the door removed and pictures of just enough so the NASCAR bars can fit through. Any tips?

Attached File  IMG_3231.jpg   125.19KB   0 downloads

Need to source a new fuel tank cover. Mine is rusted and busted.

Lastly, if I am interpreting the GCR correctly, I plan to just wire tie any wires that will not be used our of the way instead of gutting them from the car. I'm pretty sure that's not allowed and this will help prevent any short to ground issues. 

Questions: Can I remove the trunk lights from the trunk lid? What about the switches for the doors? 

Thanks! 

tylerbrown

tylerbrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:07

Just realized that I need to order some jack stands.

Looking at these: https://pitstopusa.c...ategory:1217379

I have these stands and they work great, but spend the little extra money and get the aluminum ones, they're only a little more and they are much lighter, which makes it much easier for lugging around the pit/paddock/shop!

As far as gutting the doors, I have seen people cut them in a multitude of ways, I try to make sure to leave in as much material as possible towards the front/top and definitely make sure the mounting point for the factory triangle window remains.

Wires you are correct they just need to be ziptied up, no gutting.

Tyler Brown

Sneaky Moose Motorsports - Owner

2020 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2020 Blackhawk Farms Majors - 1st Place

2019 June Sprints - 1st Place

2019 Blackhawk Farms Majors - 1st Place

2018 CAT Majors @Road America 1st Place

B.S. Mechanical Engineering - Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) 

Facebook: https://www.facebook...oseMotorsports/

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....le_polymer=true

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

How much you cut out of the doors depends on whether you need to keep a platform to attach the door windows and how much weight you need to cut out of the car in order to make the minimum weight. :)

When I first started 10 years ago, I weighed 190 and made weight easily so the clean, minimal cuts that my cage builder cut out to fit the nascar bars was sufficient.  Now, I'm 210 and my doors are... 'generously' cut/clearanced to accomodate the nascar bars and get close to min weight... :(

50472690312_c77495f6fc.jpgSpec Miata door by alberto_mg, on Flickr

Many people remove the driver side corner window these days since we run halo seats.  Removing the corner window facilitates a fast exit if the door doesn't open and the car is on fire.  You can also relocate the door mirrors 6" forward for better visibility.

You can use these from Advanced for the windows if needed:

https://www.advanced...ts/window-mount

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Lowlyslows, when people are making comments be aware of the year car they drive. For example Alberto is concerned about weight including his personal body weight. He drives a 1990 car which has a minimum weight of 2,275 pounds and a 1999 minum weight is 2400 pounds. 

• Alberto likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
The side mirrors can be moved 10” now.

Lowlyslows

Lowlyslows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

I have these stands and they work great, but spend the little extra money and get the aluminum ones, they're only a little more and they are much lighter, which makes it much easier for lugging around the pit/paddock/shop!

As far as gutting the doors, I have seen people cut them in a multitude of ways, I try to make sure to leave in as much material as possible towards the front/top and definitely make sure the mounting point for the factory triangle window remains.

Wires you are correct they just need to be ziptied up, no gutting.

I read that the aluminum ones don't last long, what's your opinion on this?

With the wires, do you guys keep the electronically adjustable side mirrors functioning or do you delete that capability? I don't mind having wires in the door but if I am, I figured I would keep this feature. Thoughts?

Lowlyslows

Lowlyslows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

How much you cut out of the doors depends on whether you need to keep a platform to attach the door windows and how much weight you need to cut out of the car in order to make the minimum weight. :)

When I first started 10 years ago, I weighed 190 and made weight easily so the clean, minimal cuts that my cage builder cut out to fit the nascar bars was sufficient.  Now, I'm 210 and my doors are... 'generously' cut/clearanced to accomodate the nascar bars and get close to min weight... :(

50472690312_c77495f6fc.jpgSpec Miata door by alberto_mg, on Flickr

Many people remove the driver side corner window these days since we run halo seats.  Removing the corner window facilitates a fast exit if the door doesn't open and the car is on fire.  You can also relocate the door mirrors 6" forward for better visibility.

You can use these from Advanced for the windows if needed:

https://www.advanced...ts/window-mount

Wow! That door is gutted! I guess I can make the decision to run a NACA duct vent window or not after I get the seat. I was planning to run the vent window for some airflow but getting out of a car on fire probably out weighs the need to keep cooler!

I haven't put any thought to moving the mirrors yet..

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Wow! That door is gutted! I guess I can make the decision to run a NACA duct vent window or not after I get the seat. I was planning to run the vent window for some airflow but getting out of a car on fire probably out weighs the need to keep cooler!

I haven't put any thought to moving the mirrors yet..

Definitely kill the triangle window.  I'm as small as they come...and its tight getting out around the seat halo with a helmet, race suit, and HANS device on...that's just when you are calm in the driveway at home.  You want every bit of room to GTFU when shits on fire and the door is jammed.

With a full suit and a helmet outside airflow doesn't make that much difference.  There's plenty of airflow from the open windows, anway.  Put the NACA in the passenger window and a hose pointing at you, if you want some air.  Plan on a cool suit to stay cool, though.

I also deleted the "spike" you see in the picture of Alberto's window....the last remnant of "track" for the triangle window glass.  I made a Lexan window to cover the space when trailered, or in the paddock overnight to keep most rain water out.    

• Alberto and 915RACEFACTORY like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Region:SFR

With the wires, do you guys keep the electronically adjustable side mirrors functioning or do you delete that capability? I don't mind having wires in the door but if I am, I figured I would keep this feature. Thoughts?

keeping the electric adjust would be helpful in my opinion.  Kinda wish my car had it.  They are always going out of alignment from me and others bumping them in the pits when walking by.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

keeping the electric adjust would be helpful in my opinion.  Kinda wish my car had it.  They are always going out of alignment from me and others bumping them in the pits when walking by.

And incidental door-2-door contact.  :-)

Heck I jjjjuuuuuusssst barely scraped a wall one time.  Only mark was a quarter sized spot of paint rubbed off the drivers mirror.  Well, that and the mirror was misaligned for the rest of the race---since my 1990 was a very low-cost version.  No power anything.

• Alberto likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users