65 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

FWIW.. Just paid for two sets of toyos shaved and shipped.. $1815.23.. 

Yes, I am sure I didnt "have"  to shave, but only running one competitive race weekend on them this year,   So I did.    Starting with shaved, Toyo is a more expensive option than Hoosier IMO

Bringing this thread back from the dead.  Started thinking about running a couple of NASA races and was looking at getting a set of Toyos. But they seem more expensive than the Hoosiers -  what am I missing?  The last set of sticker Hoosiers I bought were under $800 (carryout at the track).  I just looked up RRs and they are around $926 for a set, shaved and shipped.  So, unless you're getting meaningfully more HC's, where's the savings?

From my limited back marker experience on the Hoosiers, after 2 weekends (up to 8 HC's), they are only useful for practice.  I just ran a set to around 15 HC's and they were awful towards the end - locked up easily and less grip, frustrating. Once the tire cooled, the rubber felt hard, like a plastic toy.

I used to run on Toyos in my old NA, but that experience is so old that I can't really compare (and was never on stickers).

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Bringing this thread back from the dead.  Started thinking about running a couple of NASA races and was looking at getting a set of Toyos. But they seem more expensive than the Hoosiers -  what am I missing?  The last set of sticker Hoosiers I bought were under $800 (carryout at the track).  I just looked up RRs and they are around $926 for a set, shaved and shipped.  So, unless you're getting meaningfully more HC's, where's the savings?

From my limited back marker experience on the Hoosiers, after 2 weekends (up to 8 HC's), they are only useful for practice.  I just ran a set to around 15 HC's and they were awful towards the end - locked up easily and less grip, frustrating. Once the tire cooled, the rubber felt hard, like a plastic toy.

I used to run on Toyos in my old NA, but that experience is so old that I can't really compare (and was never on stickers).

Hoosiers are now $225 per tire, usually the track also tacks a shipping charge. These were ordered direct from Hoosier last week.  So 900 a set plus shipping

• Sphinx likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Hoosiers are now $225 per tire, usually the track also tacks a shipping charge. These were ordered direct from Hoosier last week.  So 900 a set plus shipping

Yikes! Just got my invoice for last weekend (same as yours).  So, that means that shaved Toyos and Hoosiers cost about the same now.  So, is the cost savings discussion dead, at least for now?

We need this Maxxis tire that they are using out west.  Or the Goodyear you liked previously (it was cheaper, I seem to recall).

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I saw an automated response last week from SCCA to a tire limiting rule letter I wrote early this year.  Hopefully something is being done.

Still a different tire is a preferred solution for many I suspect.  It can be a Hoosier, but a better (for the class) model. 

There have been some good tire limiting competitor agreements up this way this season which has been a plus. 

• Sphinx likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Shaved?

Which Toyos are you looking at?  No need to shave the RRs... 

I like the RRs a lot. 

-Depending on how hard you are driving them, they can last you a good 20 heat cycles.  The fast guys will heat cycle them out sooner so experiences will vary.  I used to not see a difference in lap times or behavior up to 20 - then I got faster and now I notice them starting to get harder to drive the same lap time at 12-15.  

-Good grip

-Good control characteristics at the limit

-Good availability

-No shaving or special treatment needed

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Shaved?

Which Toyos are you looking at?  No need to shave the RRs... 

I like the RRs a lot. 

-Depending on how hard you are driving them, they can last you a good 20 heat cycles.  The fast guys will heat cycle them out sooner so experiences will vary.  I used to not see a difference in lap times or behavior up to 20 - then I got faster and now I notice them starting to get harder to drive the same lap time at 12-15.  

-Good grip

-Good control characteristics at the limit

-Good availability

-No shaving or special treatment needed

Unlike the Hoosiers, my understanding is that you can buy Toyos from anyone and at the same price.  So, I saw them on this site and then added the shaving option when I added to my cart.  And I am signed up for their "discount" program, FWIW.  https://trackdaytire...toyo-proxes-rr/

I know nothing about the Toyos - so good to know that they don't require shaving.  I thought they did because the vendor had the option for shaving on their site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users