Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

SMM, Spec Miata Masters class. 

Given the youth we have in this class we might have to use the motocross age for seniors or masters.  Last I recall that was over 30 years old. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Stevens

Jim Stevens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:St. Louis
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I found myself repeatedly thinking that I should switch to a more "age appropriate" class

TylerQuance

TylerQuance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:92

I found myself repeatedly thinking that I should switch to a more "age appropriate" class

Experienced, smart drivers who I can generally trust not to drive into my door are part of what makes SM so great. These young guys are good because they're talented and obsessed with being the best, not because they are young.
  • Jim Drago likes this

Tyler Quance 

Race Bushing Factory

Home of the turn-key SM Offset Bushing Control Arms

Rick H

Rick H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'll start some chatter - the runoffs should be a lot harder to enter. I know the club loves the money but really only about the top 15 drivers have a real shot. It should be the best of the best, and I like NASA's qually-race format better, it rewards performance. Oh yeah, another thing, I heard that garages at Indy were renting for $3,000. The club should negotiate with potential venues to prevent that kind of gouging. Disgraceful.

PS: P$ is a professional

The Facts. 

Garages: - Trackside Garages adjacent to pit lane: $1,500 - Gasoline Alley Garages: $700

• DrDomm likes this

Rick Harris

Road Racing Technical Manager 

Sports Car Club of America

rharris at scca.com

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

The Facts. 

Garages: - Trackside Garages adjacent to pit lane: $1,500 - Gasoline Alley Garages: $700

I received second hand info, I wasn't there, so thanks for the facts.

$700 - $1,500 is still a gouge and the club should not let that occur. I've rented garages at Daytona and Charlotte regional SCCA events for $100 or less. 

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I received second hand info, I wasn't there, so thanks for the facts.

$700 - $1,500 is still a gouge and the club should not let that occur. I've rented garages at Daytona and Charlotte regional SCCA events for $100 or less. 

I do not know the details of this contract but generally when you rent the track you get the garages in the rental agreement and the money you charge for the garages goes to your bottom line profit so it was SCCA charging those fees based upon my experience of renting Indy which our region (PCA) has done about 5 times or so.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Stevens

Jim Stevens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:St. Louis
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Experienced, smart drivers who I can generally trust not to drive into my door are part of what makes SM so great. These young guys are good because they're talented and obsessed with being the best, not because they are young.

Agreed. I wasn't speaking to the talent of the young drivers. I was simply stating that there are other classes where most of the drivers are closer to the end of their racing careers rather than the beginning. I'm one of those that are aging out. 

You'll find out someday....

• Bench Racer likes this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I do not know the details of this contract but generally when you rent the track you get the garages in the rental agreement and the money you charge for the garages goes to your bottom line profit so it was SCCA charging those fees based upon my experience of renting Indy which our region (PCA) has done about 5 times or so.

That sounds about right. Expecting around 900 entrants it would be easy to calculate that there would be plenty of deep-pockets to snap them up at those rates without a second thought.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Talk of a masters class is nonsense. One of the cool things about road racing is it doesnt matter if you are 13 or 90, black or white, girl or boy, we all race together. I'd rather be beaten by a 13 year old girl than win against a worn out old guy. I thought old people like me detested the thought of the millenial concept of participation trophies.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

TylerQuance

TylerQuance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Talk of a masters class is nonsense. One of the cool things about road racing is it doesnt matter if you are 13 or 90, black or white, girl or boy, we all race together. I'd rather be beaten by a 13 year old girl than win against a worn out old guy. I thought old people like me detested the thought of the millenial concept of participation trophies.

Agree. It is hilarious how many people think spec miata needs "fixing".

Some Runoffs quick stats for you hilarious people :
-70/71 starters finished
-68/71 took a checker
-All 68 checker-takers were on the lead lap
-ZERO multi-car FCC incidents
-3% fast lap pace difference fastest to slowest
-Podium cars all cleared tech and I'd have a hard time believing there were any non-compliant cars in the whole field.
-Trap speed difference, winner to slowest checker-taker: 3.3mph.

All this with an age spread teens to 70s.
  • Jim Drago, mellen, DrDomm and 1 other like this

Tyler Quance 

Race Bushing Factory

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Agree. It is hilarious how many people think spec miata needs "fixing".

-70/71 starters finished
-68/71 took a checker
-All 68 checker-takers were on the lead lap
-ZERO multi-car FCC incidents
-3% fast lap pace difference fastest to slowest
-Podium cars all cleared tech and I'd have a hard time believing there were any non-compliant cars in the whole field.
-Trap speed difference, winner to slowest checker-taker: 3.3mph.

All this with an age spread teens to 70s.

I could quibble with the accuracy of some of that, such as the 3.3 mph which is at best very misleading since even at a brief glance I see many with a slower trap than that relative to highest, and any FCY bunches the field making lapped cars less likely. But more importantly the Runoffs is not by itself a fair barometer of how well the class is working for the majority of members (including those potentially not attending or racing at all for class related reasons). All that said, it is still one of the two healthiest classes in our kind of racing. But we should never take that for granted or stop being concerned about the larger numbers of participants who don’t go to HST events or the Runoffs.
  • infamousjim likes this

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Neither Ralph's comment nor mine about actually having a masters class were serious :) 

• Jim Drago and 38bfast like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73

Trap speed data is super close. Laptime data is 100%
We had 1? Quick full course on lap 2-3??

I could quibble with the accuracy of some of that, such as the 3.3 mph which is at best very misleading since even at a brief glance I see many with a slower trap than that, and any FCY bunches the field making lapped cars less likely. But more importantly the Runoffs is not by itself a fair barometer of how well the class is working for the majority of members (including those potentially not attending or racing at all for class related reasons). All that said, it is still one of the two healthiest classes in our kind of racing. But we should never take that for granted or stop being concerned about the larger numbers of participants who don’t go to HST events or the Runoffs.

• Brandon likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Trap speed data is super close. Laptime data is 100%
We had 1? Quick full course on lap 2-3??

:) Notice I specifically started with “I could quibble…” The stated max trap speed difference really isn’t close, top was 119.757 while there were quite a few in the 114s & 115s and at least one 113, all significantly more than 3.3 difference to highest (Preston was only 117.1x). And that’s not actually a great or accurate measure of anything anyway. You are correct, the FCY was lap 3 out of 19 and even with a 2 minute lap it’s impressive that they didn’t catch the rear. The best indicator really is fast lap top to bottom with a very large number within 2%.

But like I said, quibbling because I have this thing about facts. My main point remains that for most competitors that are paying the entries all season the Runoffs will never be the most relevant measure of class health from their seat.

Edit: I shouldn’t have bothered, but the “Critics and whiners are stupid, here’s proof” tone rubbed me the wrong way. If you are going to be insulting and dismissive be ready for some pushback.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
I get it
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mike Tesch

Mike Tesch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee

I'm sorry, but I spit out my Cheerios when I read that one.

• Bench Racer likes this

"Common sense... it's not rocket science."

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I'm sorry, but I spit out my Cheerios when I read that one.

He did say hilarious.

TylerQuance

TylerQuance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Since no one is getting flamed for bringing non-compliant cars to the Runoffs, I see it as my duty to find other ways to ruffle all your feathers :)

Tyler Quance 

Race Bushing Factory

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
I am growing extremely tired of the spec Miata hate. Sm race at runoffs was likely the cleanest and most well competed race all week. I would also agree every car in the field could have passed tech. If the old guard 2007 racers who were the reason sm got all the bad rep don’t have anything good to say maybe they should just quietly go away??
  • Jim Drago, FTodaro, Danny Steyn and 2 others like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users