FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I am going to have to mount some ballast in my passinger compartment, making the transistion between the NASA 2390 and the SCCA 2450 wt. for my 1999. I also use a passnger seat in the car for instructing when I am not racing so I do not want to permanently mount the Ballast or its mounting hardware.

My plan was to design a ballast plate constructed of a welded steel Frame and plates bolted to that frame, that bolts into the stock seat mounting points for the passenger seat. The max weight will be 60 lbs.

Since that was designed to hold a seat with a body that likely is more that 60lbs I would think its good to go.

This if from the CGR, any reason I can do this?

If ballast is required to meet the required weight it shall be
added as follows:
1. All ballast shall be securely mounted on the passenger
floor.
2. Each segment of ballast shall be fastened with a minimum
of two (2) one-half (1/2) inch bolts and positive lock nuts
of SAE Grade 5 or better and shall utilize large diameter,
load distributing washers.
3. Holes may be drilled in the passenger floorpan for the
purposes of mounting the ballast and the floorpan may be
reinforced for that purpose only.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
We recently modified the rules to allow you to do exactly what you are asking.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Thanks Mike, It looked like it was good to me but thought I would ask to be safe, did not want to show up to my first SCCA event with a new set up and be sent home. or worse run with a full tank of fuel and stuff lead in my pockets. Last year I left the seat in in the car and filled the cool suit cooler full and filled the tank.

This year I decided to go the ballast route and keep the set up a bit more balanced.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

Our local SCCA tech official interprets this rule to mean that you need to have 2 bolts per ballast piece. So for instance, I have 4"x16"x1/4" thick plates stacked on top of each other with 2 total bolts, quantity 12. He thinks that I need to have 24 bolts to secure this ballast. 2 bolts per piece, rather than each piece having 2 bolts.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
Your SCCA tech official is a moron - sorry - Tourettes.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

:lol:

Not helpful....but, very very funny!

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Unfortunately he is not exactly an elected official...
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
We'll see if we can't get this clarified.
wheel

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

We'll see if we can't get this clarified.
wheel

Please do, if the stock mounting position with 4 bolts is adequate to hold a seat with a 200Lb person in it, I would hope that 4 bolts could hold 60lbs of ballast. I am going forward with my plan. I may post a picture of it when done.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
The ballast rule has been re-written, already, to allow for the use of the seat mounts.

Effective 4/1/11, in 9.1.8.C.8.i.2, add the following: "Alternatively, ballast may
be secured using all 4 Mazda factory passenger seat mounting bolt holes."

I'm just concerned that a tech inspector would read the old rule to mean that each plate has to have its own two bolts. That's just nuts. I crack myself up.
Where was that done, by the way?

wheel

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
The tech inspectors first name is Hal and he is normally at Eagles Canyon in Dallas TX. Most people here just remove their ballast before tech. Which I understand defeats the point....

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Please do, if the stock mounting position with 4 bolts is adequate to hold a seat with a 200Lb person in it, I would hope that 4 bolts could hold 60lbs of ballast. I am going forward with my plan. I may post a picture of it when done.

Which would be waaay more useful....if I hadn't removed the rear humps to mount the instructor seat.

::Beer:: Here's to hoping someone convinces Hal that he is incorrect before I go to get my logbook.

You've got 6 months to "git 'er done."

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
Here's something.
http://www.ghidinell...azda-spec-miata
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

::Beer:: Here's to hoping someone convinces Hal that he is incorrect before I go to get my logbook.

there are ways around the overzealous tech inspector like this.
just find out who else in the region is a qualified tech inspector, there should be a few, and have them do the intial inspection not at the track. bring the car to them.
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
He's not the only one of "those tech inspectors". I was lectured one morning for not having my lap belt mounting bolts safety wired. Apparently "it's required in the rule book" and I was at least the 6th person that day who he'd had to lecture about it.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
The old "it's in the book"... :rolleyes:

Except that it's not. :P

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

He's not the only one of "those tech inspectors". I was lectured one morning for not having my lap belt mounting bolts safety wired. Apparently "it's required in the rule book" and I was at least the 6th person that day who he'd had to lecture about it.

What does that mean exactly, does that mean drill a hole in the end of the bolt to put a wire in the bolt so the nut will not back out? Another surprise?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

What does that mean exactly, does that mean drill a hole in the end of the bolt to put a wire in the bolt so the nut will not back out? Another surprise?

Safety wire is not required on seat belt mounting bolts. Safety wire is not even mentioned in the GCR. Actually, I think it might be mentioned for oil drain plugs for some cars. I seem to remember that being discussed at some point. If a tech inspector tells you that you need to have your bolts safety wired, politely ask him to show you the section in the GCR that says it is required.
Personally, I safety wire a lot of stuff. Usually, it is right after that particular bolt fell out.

wheel

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
I've been wanting to safety wire all the caliper bolts, for sure. I've seen the drilling jigs in the usual catalogs....and wondered if they really work that well. With such a small bit, and hardened bolts I wondered if you end up breaking/burning lots of bits. ???

Once I have the ability, I'm sure I'll go a little "wire-crazy".

-tch

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
I have drilled grade 8 bolts and it is a chore. You can't do it with H.F. bits, that's for sure. In the AS, almost everything, like alternator, p.s., exhaust, engine and transmission mounts, etc. are safety wired. Not so much on the SM.
wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users