Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Kinda what I figgerd. That's why I hadn't bought it already. Probably better off buying pre-drilled bolts. Maybe a local machinist would do the actual caliper bolts...and other non-COTS bolts? ...Or use loctite. For some bolts, I just like the idea of seeing the wire as a positive check.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
A link for safety wire pliers...

http://www.summitrac...parts/MRG-8023G

In karting safety wire is everywhere. Kind of important when you're driving a 115 mph kart an inch or two off the ground with no restraints. Stock cars use it as well. Pretty common in all forms of racing.

You can drill your own bolts, I have for years at one point with a 39 buck HF drill press. You must use quality cutting tools, fluid and the proper speed. There are jigs to make the job easier. Or you can make your own.

http://www.pegasusau....asp?RecId=1192

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
Both these are good tools to have. I've never used the cool vise deal. I'm sure it would make it a lot easier.

wheel

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
My dad does motorcycles, and they safety wire everything, too. But, all his bolts are predrilled.

Yeah..."drill press" has always been on my list of "desired tools". But, it never makes it to the top. I have several hand drills, and I have a woodworking tool called a mortiser...which does most of the job of a drill press (it just doesn't do variable speed). So, I can almost always get buy with what I've needed to drill...and, therefore buy something else as a capitol expense.

Yep, those were the catalogs and items I was referring to above.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
After burning up a few cheap HF drill presses (well, one the chuck fell off) my wife bought me a 10" Craftsman drill press for Christmas. They come up on Craftsman Club sales a few times year for under a 100 bucks.

http://www.sears.com...=2&blockType=G2

It's plenty good enough for what I do. It's not a Jet or Dake but it's far better than anything HF has and has served me well for about a year and a half at this point.

Dake
http://www.vansanten...ill_presses.htm

Jet
http://www.vansanten...ill_presses.htm

I've had good luck with cobalt drills from Norseman ( http://www.norsemandrill.com/ ) but they are a bit pricey compared to the big box and HF but they are way better. The little ones for the wire holes (IIRC 1/16th ") do break but I can get a set of bolts out of them.

Garden project got rained out today, off the the garage to get a few bonus hours on the car before my lovely wife's birthday party tonight. WOOT!

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:34

The ballast rule has been re-written, already, to allow for the use of the seat mounts.

Effective 4/1/11, in 9.1.8.C.8.i.2, add the following: "Alternatively, ballast may
be secured using all 4 Mazda factory passenger seat mounting bolt holes."

What is the status of this rule change? Looking at 9.1.7.C.8.i in the 2013 GCR, this text does not appear.

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

What is the status of this rule change? Looking at 9.1.7.C.8.i in the 2013 GCR, this text does not appear.

In case you haven't seen it, this ballast system is awesome.

http://mazdaracers.c...ballast-system/

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:7

This is how my ballast has been mounted for the last 5 seasons...stock passenger seat bolt holes.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

In case you haven't seen it, this ballast system is awesome.

http://mazdaracers.c...ballast-system/

I built a nearly identical system from scratch.  When you figure the cost of the base plate as raw material, cutting to size, bending the edges to match the car, placing the holes to match the seat mounts, welding the captured nuts, match drilling all the ballast plates, and painting so that it doesn't look like a pile of rust...Jim's price for a ready built system is pretty reasonable unless you just want to make one yourself for spits and giggles.

• Alberto and Jim Drago like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV
Question- can a passenger seat be used as ballast? I looked for the definition in the gcr and it only notes that ballast must be a fixed mass, so I would assume so...
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

Question- can a passenger seat be used as ballast? I looked for the definition in the gcr and it only notes that ballast must be a fixed mass, so I would assume so...

Nobody would bat an eyelash over it.  It doesn't weigh much so it's not really effective ballast as much as stuff you didn't gut out of the car.  An extra 1/4 gallon in the tank would probably be more effective balast for weight distribution.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51

Legal or not a seat has too high of a center of mass. Ballast should be as low as legally possible.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

9.1.7. Spec Miata Class Specifications

8. Driver/Passenger Compartment - Trunk
a. The driver’s seat shall be replaced with a one-piece bucket-type
race seat. All seat mountings shall be reinforced. Factory seat
tracks/brackets may be modified, reinforced, and/or removed
to facilitate replacement mountings provided they perform
no other function. The passenger seat must be removed.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

NASA rules have been updated to allow passenger seat mount usage for Ballast.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/spec_miata_rules.pdf

10.2.1.3. All pieces of ballast must be bolted
within the passenger compartment, through the
floor pan on the passenger side of the cockpit
or ballast may be secured using all 4

Mazda OEM passenger seat mounting bolt holes

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Seems silly to me that if you mount the ballast thru the floor you only need 2 bolts, but if you use the seat mounts you need all 4.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

What's the reason SCCA rules require passenger seat removal?

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users