• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
NASA doesn't post a public entry list. But I will!

Bill Brown MD 64 1993 White

Patrick Canlas 69 1991 BLUE

Dennis Clark 27 1994 blue

John Dirkson 88 1999 Green/White top

David Gehringer 511 1990 Red

John Grillos 8 1999 Silver

Barry Hartzel 90 1990 Teal/Yellow

Team MF 40 1990 White w Burgundy stripe

Team Momentary Laps Racing 72 1993 White

Bill Robertson 33 1990 Blue

Team Silverfern 52 1993 White/Orange

David Vodden 1 1991 White

Todd Wilson 67 1992 White/Blu

On top of this, I'm expecting Bruce, Jaime and Aaron. I also don't see Randy on the list, yet.

A little disappointing at only 16 SM's right now, but we typically have several people who consistently do not register in advance. Doubt we'll see over 20, though. :( Jeez, you'd think we were in some sort of housing crisis or economically challenging times!

Call it good news or bad news, but I'm planning to race the SM on Saturday. Laura takes back over on Sunday.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Im in a crunch right now. :(

I will be late on signing up, if at all.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

But let me give you this advice:
- Study ALL configurations of the track. ALMS, Indy, NASCAR and AMA.
- Expect the unexpected.
- Bring your A-game for driving and a smile on your face to "go with the flow"!
- Adaptation will be important.

So .... all even numbered cars are going clockwise and all uneven numbered cars are going counterclockwise!!! :o

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Just when you think all the good ideas have been used up, Danny comes up with this!! I love it... ;-)

Former driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
ready to rock.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Whoohoo, Charlie! That's awesome. I'm looking forward to getting back in the SM with this motley crew on Saturday.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Here's some info on the grid and start order for this weekend. Take note that we'll draw for starting positions on Saturday before our qualifying session and that will be a qualifying RACE.

SATURDAY

Group A Qualifying (will be a race). They will draw for grid.
Flag 1- SM flying
Flag 2- SE30 flying
Flag 3- USTCC flying (or may start from pitlane)

Group A Race
Flag 1- SE30 standing (possible invert x# from qual race, ask RD)
Flag 2- SM flying (possible invert x# from qual race, ask RD)
Flag 3- USTCC from pitlane.

Group C Race
Flag 1- SU,ST,PT,GTS,HC (mixed in qual order) Flying
Flag 2- Thunder Roadsters flying
Flag 3- Legends flying

SUNDAY

Group A Race (50 mins); gridded by Sunday Race finish
Flag 1- SE30 standing (possible invert x# from qual, ask RD)
Flag 2- SM flying (possible invert x# from qual, ask RD)
Flag 3- USTCC from pitlane.

Group C Race
Flag 1- SU,ST,PT,GTS,HC (mixed in qual order) Flying
Flag 2- Thunder Roadsters flying
Flag 3- Legends flying

Former driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
I think the inverts should be set in stone for the whole weekend by Saturdays drivers meeting. Thunderhill where we ran the enduro it seemed as it was just tossed in there.

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Charlie,

Any inverts ARE already set in stone, they just aren't going to be announced in advance. Think about it - if you say the top 10 will be inverted from the qualifying race, will you have a race for 1st or 10th place (or last)?

My advice? Always race to win and always try to qualify on pole.

Craig had a good idea around "qualifying points" so that if we make a habit of doing inverts and such, folks still have an incentive to do their best in qual. We'll consider that for next season.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
What a weekend. Ups and lots of downs.

Saturdays qualify race was awesome with some good fun with Barry Hartzel, Jaime Florence, and Dean. I some how stuck with 2nd place putting me on the front row for the race on Saturday. The race was relatively un eventful. I had a horrible start, TWICE, yes they called for a restart. Sticking me in 4th behind Dean, Evans, and Florence. Stayed there for the rest of the race with no real catching up or loosing towards Jaime. <_<

Sunday had the 50 minute "unknown" configuration race which started off absolutely awesome then slowly went downhill and hitting rock bottom before the checkered flag. I started 4th next to Florence and behind Evans. Evans was signaling for some help on the start and I was all for it. Pushed our way up to turn 2 and we were 1-2 by turn 3a. We were running the NASCAR chute which I personally thought was awesome. I stayed behind Evans for a while before giving up 2nd to Florence. He had me for a few laps and then we ended up door to door at the exit of turn 11 and we stayed door to door all the way to turn 2. We have gone through this procedure before by going 2 wide over 2 and we talked about it earlier how it was awesome that we can do it and not have contact or really hurt our speeds. Well I messed up my transition from brake to gas or vise versa and ended up a little loose and I just couldn't get the "no contact" part out of my head so I backed off and me being at the crest it really got me loose and I spun. Now facing the wrong way I lost probably 4-5 spots and got back going then came a full-course yellow. They mentioned it could happen and change the configuration midway through the race. I thought this was my chance to get back what I lost. The restart was for running the regular turn 4, shorter turn 7, and the 9-9a chicane. I put 4 wheels off in the exit of 4 resulting in major rally wheel spin and oversteer sending me track right at the apex of 5. I had to let all 60+ cars pass because of where I ended up. Dead last and very bummed on my situation I start driving again and try to gain as much as possible. Passed a lot of cars while following Tommy O who also got a nice deal of the turn 4 oil on the restart. I ended the race by coming into turn 9 a little hot while someone else may have over braked and was pushed off slightly came back on the pavement. Bent the left front tie rod and came in right after that.

Lots of action but the wrong kind in my eyes.

Lots of learning to do still.

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Boy, you had an eventful weekend, Charlie! Congrats to you, Jaime, Craig and Todd for great results and driving this weekend. I hope everyone enjoyed the course change-up on Sunday. I was bummed that I didn't get to drive the NASCAR chute - it looked like a lot of fun!

The Sunday race was one of the most entertaining to watch that I've seen in a long time. There were battles throughout the field and some excellent close/clean racing.

Thanks again for all of you who came out and who support NASA NorCal. I thought the weekend went well. There was only incidental car to car contact that I heard about and only one big impact (unassisted in 8A) and even that wasn't very bad.

BTW - I want to remind everyone that while we haven't been very invasive with tech in the last couple events, it can ramp up at any time (hint, hint). Make sure your car is legal! The tech stewards went fishing in the SE30 class this weekend and found several illegal steering racks and at least one lightened flywheel...

Let's see some videos!

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

ToddW

ToddW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67
I thought running the new configurations, and doing them during the same race
was awesome. I also liked the draw for positions => sat qual race => sat race sets
grid for sunday waterfall format. Big thanks to all willing to take
the risk to try this out.

Was the oil down in T11 part of the "expect the unexpected"? :o

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

I thought running the new configurations, and doing them during the same race
was awesome. I also liked the draw for positions => sat qual race => sat race sets
grid for sunday waterfall format. Big thanks to all willing to take
the risk to try this out.

Was the oil down in T11 part of the "expect the unexpected"? :o

That wasn't part of the plan, but it definitely made things more interesting to watch! Any more input from others on the format? I'd like to give Jerry some feedback.

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
I liked it better with the E30's ahead of us. (Sat race)

Like the longer races, like the different config during the race.
Got caught off gaurd when we went back to green until the 3 black E30 races passes us at full speed. :huh:
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:34
Here's Aaron's Sunday race.

http://www.artofroad...0_Infineon.html

Loads of fun! I'm sure I would have gone the wrong way in T4 and T8a at least once. I think everyone blew through the chicane at least once. I had a ball watching.

Enjoy!
-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Aaron needs to lower the camera or raise the mirror just a little...I kept lowering my head to look under the mirror to see what was ahead :lol:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ToddW

ToddW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Car Number:67
Hacked together a video of the fun parts from Sunday's race.

Be gentle....

http://www.vimeo.com/25086188

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27
Hey Dean-

Had a blast with the mid race changes. I was wondering what NASA did with the several drivers that short coursed the track after the change? I watched several e30's use the normal 9 rather than the chicane. Made me start looking to my right at the exit of the chicane as not to get t-boned if it was done again. Maybe a few more cones out as a reminder would help?
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27

I liked it better with the E30's ahead of us. (Sat race)

Like the longer races, like the different config during the race.
Got caught off gaurd when we went back to green until the 3 black E30 races passes us at full speed. :huh:
J~

I liked starting ahead of the e30's but can see both sides of this. How about we have whom ever qualifies faster (P1 vs P1) start as the lead group?
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Johnny, not sure what they did with the E30's that cut the course. All the spec miata drivers were smart and aware enough to follow the proper course, so that didn't affect us...

Usually the race group with the biggest field gets to elect if they want to start first or last, and that's been the E30's most of this year.

Former driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users